Jets' Needs in the Offseason....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by All Star, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I can agree with that

2. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

OK, here is a guy that the Jets MUST persue...

Lance Briggs. This guy is a beast, he made the pro bowl and it is more then likely that he will not be playing in chicago next year. The jets are good with cash so throw some money at him.

3. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

i heard the bears are going to slap the franchise tag on him.

4. All Star

All Star Active Member

Like Mangini would do that?

5. Don G

Don G New Member

I don't understand why people continue to say that we need a quarterback. Even if you don't believe that Pennington is any good you still have Clemens waiting in the wings. We just drafted the guy last year for christ's sake. I honestly don't understand some people AT ALL. Some Jets fans have NO idea what they're talking about.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Briggs has been a 4-3 guy his whole career. I think he could become a 3-4 linebacker, because the guys a damn good football player no matter where you stick him, but next year is the year in which we really start building up a team of experienced players within the system. The experimental 3-4 year is over, and next offseason is the year to really get the players for it.

7. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

i personally think we need that big huge back(6'0-6'3 and 220lbs and up) thats going to punish the defense a little bit. then we would need that huge possesion receiver(6'3 - 6'5) thats not afraid to go over the middle to earn his paycheck because regardless of what people say wayne chrebet earned all his paychecks that way and i miss him. im not so sure of this one though we might need a massive dt to clog that middle up more effective. not saying dewayne robertson isnt doing the job but he can use some help in there. and i didnt want to rush the statement being that we have pouha and alot of other dt's untested

8. southwestjet

southwestjet New Member

This RB from Hawai comes to mind (I think he was pusing 250) what a beast.

Aside from DT, I haven't seen much of Baker, but I would love to see one of my favorite college tight ends be in a Jet's uniform: Zach Miller from Arizona State. The guy can REALLY block and catch. Whoever gets him is going to have a probowl tight end for a while. If the Jet's can't get him, he also has a little brother: Brent Miller. :)

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I would draft like this...

1. Massive All-Around NT/RE
    2a. Road-grading RT
    2b. Big but Balanced OG, probably LG to be groomed as replacement for Kendall
    3. CB
    4. FB - Lorenzo Neal style, not much of a runner/catcher, but someone who is going to give LBs nightmares
    5. LB
    6. OL/DL
    7. OL/DL

10. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I like it, although I would switch CB and LB.

11. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank New Member

DE/RB
    OLB
    OG
    OT
    CB

no order really, just things that need to be adressed.

12. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

The question you have to ask is: When everyone is healthy, who is the worst starter on the field? My choice is Kimo. That's why I think DE/DT is the most pressing need.

13. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

I was originally thinking a DB 1st to sure up the secondary and a 2nd round RB. After conisdering it we have enough borderline RBs to get by. The secondary is looking not as bad as I thought after gel-ing after the season.

The topic basically convinced me that we need the big NT/DE. Granted these guys are hard to come by and the posistion is tough, and the draft may not be the best place to find an effective one for next season, especially with a mid-range pick. Free-agent might be the answer for that, Tough position may need expierence for it. I don't know who though, I'm not up on NTs. I think we should go for another O-line, specifically the RG. This may provide balance and versatililty to our protection for chad, and more power on our weak running game.

2nd pick I think should be a DE. If an effective one is available, and we adressed the expierenced NT through free-agency, we maybe able to get a nice rotating 3 for our D-line. And...enable a smooth transistion for the new pick.

3rd- A DB.

14. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

Here is my current 1st day Mock Draft for the Jets:

1 - Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
    2a - Aaron Sears, OG/OT, Tennessee
    2b - Brian Leonard, FB/RB, Rutgers
    3 - Dan Bazuin, OLB, Central Michigan

I think it addresses our most pressing needs, and also focuses on the type of players our front office wants. We could go DB instead of a pass rusher with the 3rd round pick, but I am hoping that we are able to sign Asante Samuel, which would make CB much less of a priority.

15. MeanGreen80

MeanGreen80 New Member

Carriker in the 1st would be a very safe and solid pick. Hes big, strong and would be the classic 3-4 oline eater. But i feel we should finally fill some playmaker positions such as pass rush linebacker or if we dont address it in free agency a RB.

16. genom

genom Active Member

Hobson and Thomas are playing servicable to very good. Kimo is the main problem, the guy has done absolutely nothing. I'm perfectly fine with using our first round pick on Carriker.

17. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

How about something like this...
    1. Justin Blalock OG / OT Texas- can play either OG or RT; good, smart individual; known for run blocking, which is a need for this o-line.
    2a. Amboi Okoye- DT/NT Louisville- run stuffing nose tackle that plays strong and will require double teams which will free up our LBs
    2b. Dan Bazuin- move him to the OLB and allow him to rush the passer
    3. Brandon Mebane DT Cal- might be able to move into the DE position in the 3-4; would be somewhat of a project but has top intangibles
    5. Dustin Fry C Clemson- projected to be an OG in the NFL; will be able to pull and is known for his run blocking; has a mean streak and finsihes his blocks
    6. Paul Williams WR Fresno St.- classic project wide receiver; might be this years Marques Colston; provides potential deep threat and will allow Coles and Cotch to work the middle
    7. BPA????

18. genom

genom Active Member

I dont think Okoye will last to the second round, the guy just has so much potential and is already a beast. Picking him up with our first round pick would make our d line incredible. Amobi moving to the nose, robertson and ellis on the end.

19. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Offense
    QB- Backup type 3rd string,Draftwise im thinking Jared Zabransky or Drew Tate.Course this is whether Ramsey is cut which i think he should be.(Prospects-Drew Tate,Jared Zabransky)

RB-Starting rb, leon is a nice change of pace type and Cedric is alright to but neither is starting potential, i dont really like rb by comitee rbs cant get into a flow like that.(Prospects-Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch)

WR-Backup a big wr threat to go up the middle and a fast speedy burner type to go deep.(Prospects-Matt Trannon,Chansi Stuckey,Paul Williams,Darnell Jenkins)

TE-Starter not a huge need really but could definetly be improved.(Prospects-Greg Olsen)

O-Line-Starters for Rt and guard positions i say not really huge needs but our solid o-line has 3 spots that good be improved.(Prospects-Ryan Harris,Justin Blalock)

Defense
    D-line-Starter, only one spot needed on that line with d-rob and ellis as very good starters , the problem is where d-rob fits best whether its the end or nose position the easier position to fill would be the end position, cause not many people can play that nose.If Woodley and Lynch arent there at our pick Amobi Okeye should be our pick.(Prospects-Amobi OkoyeNT,Adam CarrikerDE,Baraka AtkinsDE,Kareem BrownDE)

LB-Starter, another pass-rushing guy to go along with Thomas would be great for the defense.Would also allow Hobson to go in the middle and team up with Vilma.(Prospects-LaMarr Woodley)

DB-Starter at cb, we straight for now at safety but if Brandon Meriweather or Eric Weedle slip into the third we should grab one of them.We need another starter as much as i want Justin Miller to be that it seams that he wont cause he should of by now.Andre Dyson and David Barett are solid and we should keep both especially Dyson.I say pick a cornerback with the low 2nd round pick in the draft.(Prospects-Daymeion HughesCB,Antoine CasonCB, Darrelle RevisCB,Brandon MeriweatherS,Eric WeedleS)

20. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I agree with some others.... biggest need is DE. Robertson has greatly improved at NT, Pouha was looking very good before he went down with a knee, and Mosley is OK depth.

Our D's biggest weakness? The run. It's improved as DRobs play has improved, but the DE spot across from Ellis has been awful, frankly. In this D scheme, sacks will be spread out, but look at this:
    BT-8.5
    Hobson-6
    Rhodes-5
    Ellis-5
    Barton-4
    Drob-2.5
    Kimo/Hamilton-1

That's close, but it's from memory... but it's close enough. Carriker won't be a big sack guy, but he a freakin beast against the run, and should be good for 5-6 sacks to boot. That additional production would bring team sack over 40 on the year. (we had 35 this year)

The luxury is Carriker will most likely be there at our 2.5 from the Skins.

What the offense lacks, besides a good run blocking RG, is a true game breaker, besides Washington. This kid Meacham WR from Tenn will most likely declare, and give us a deep threat, and allow McCariens to be cut loose.

Idon't see an OG worthy of either of our first two picks. This kid Meacham.... Chad could just air it out, even if it looks like a freakin rainbow, this kid has world class speed to run under the ball. might be a luxury pick, but one I like.

If they want to dump both Blaylock and Barlow, one of our first two picks will have to be RB though. The onlyavalable RB when we use these picks that is ready to start in the NFL is Tony Hunt, PSU, because he can pass block.... btw, he's a pretty good ball carrier too, and big at 230.

So, Our needs as I see 'em:
    DE
    OG
    WR/CB

But, when combined with BPA, I see it as WR, DE, RB/CB. Briggs is gonna be waaaaay too expensive, but asante Samuel may not be.... that would fix one need, at CB through FA. maybe Meacham, Carriker and then a RB like Irons if Hunt doesn't fall?

PS: Why a WR? I think they want to dump McCariens and while Coles is a tough sob, his injury history scares mre a bit. I love Brad Smith, but he isn't a deep threat like a kid such as Meacham is. He is more of a YAC reciever, like both Coles and Cotchery are.... possession guys that can break tackles..... not speed merchants.

#40 ThunderbirdJet, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007