Jets Mock

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CodeGreen, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Do not hate the pick, but don't love it as well. McDonald fills a need, but there are a couple safteys I like better. Was Reed gone?

From the pro day reports there are a number of teams in love with McDonald's blend of size and mobility. It's not out of reach to see him go this high. A 6'3" saftey will help in covering/making plays against the ever growing number of big, athletic TE's in the NFL

Our offense sucked last year, but our defense was gutted in this offseason. With Hill and Holmes returning from injury and the additions of Colon and Goodson, we currently have more holes in the defense.

2. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Most mocks are putting Cyprien in late first or early 2nd (before Jets pick in second round).

Vaccaro should be gone by pick #20. With the Niners having around 23454 picks this draft, there is a really good chance they are taking the second or third safety off the board when they use the Chiefs 2nd rounder.

=======
    TJ McDonald is going between rounds 3-4 in a lot of mocks. I'm not so sure where he should be going. After the top 3 safeties, I'm constantly rearranging the safeties I like.

#22 ajax, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  3. mrpeepers

mrpeepers New Member

1st post, I drafted for Jets in my message board 7 rnd mock,

My Final NY Jets Draft

1-09 (09): NY Jets (MrPeepers)- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

2-08 (39): NY Jets (MrPeepers)- Damontre Moore, DE/OLB, Texas A &M

3-10 (72): NY Jets (MrPeepers)- Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse

4-09 (106): NY Jets (MrPeepers)- Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M

5-08 (141): NY Jets (MrPeepers)- Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama

6-10 (178): NY Jets (MrPeepers)- Zac Dysert QB, Miami of Ohio

7-09 (215): NY Jets (MrPeepers)- Jake Stoneburner TE, Ohio St

I did not trade, I anticipate they will trade down as they have a lot of holes to fill.
    Specific needs for the team. Pass Rush, LB, Safety, QB, RB, OT, TE...

Overall, I think I got good value and athleticism. I think this is a hungry draft. Moore was on sale in the 2nd, Stoneburner in the 7th.

4. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Well done, sir. Like this draft in totality. I admit, I'll be scratching my head a little after Patterson in round 1, but Moore in round 2 makes up for it for sure. I like Thomas and Michael, and Dysert in the 6th is a steal. Also like Stoneburner in the 7th.

Unless Dion Jordan was there. To me, he's the top player on the Jets board. Fewest questions, fills a need, and has huge upside.

5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I actually liked this draft except for the #1 pick, a pro day is scripted and the kids have months to prepair, if you shit the bed at a pro day I say pass.

The same thing applies to Combine stars which the Jets are a sucker for. If all I had to do was the same couple events day in day out for six weeks to prepair, and you flop that should be a hint, just as not taking stock in the kid who is average all year but blows it up at the combine, they all should blow it up.

6. mrpeepers

mrpeepers New Member

Link to the 7 round draft
    Denver Broncos board
    orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110197

legit criticism from a peer

This a great draft for the Jets. I'm lukewarm on the draft values for Shamarko Thomas, Nico Johnson, and Cordarelle Patterson.

I still like Keenan Allen more than Patterson, he's far more polished and explosive in his own right. But with Allen's injury holding him back from working out, I'm not sure any WR is worth a top 20 selection. It's only 11 selections off from where you took him, but that's a lot in the early first round. So, I'm a little sketchy on that selection, but if he hits, at least according to Mayock, you've got a superstud.

Shamarko Thomas is really just being hyped because of the Combine. He was ok at Syracuse but never great. In a deep Safety class with more proven playmakers at the position, I'm leery of workout warriors. It's a boom or bust pick.

Nico Johnson just does nothing to impress me whatsoever. He has a name due to playing at Alabama, but I have him as a 7th round talent.

On the flipside, I thought you got great value on all your other selections. You did a nice job for the most part of balancing need and draft value. I thought it was a pretty strong draft for what the Jets needed.

Now.....

I agree Thomas was a combine freak, attitude through the roof. Patterson at 9 is maybe a bit high, but I felt it guaranteed the best prospect deep in a pass rushing draft.

Michaels could turn into Mr. Glass...

Nico tackles but I don't think hes the pass defender in the middle you want. In the 4th round, I didn't have alot of other great choices that would impact NOW. Some injury reaches, but I bet on Alabama, probably my laziest pick.

Moore is solid, Patterson will be good, Dysart needed a year anyways and Sanchez is stuck, but you can get someone under tutelage that might stick.

7. drs23

drs23 New Member

Yes he was. There was quite the run on safeties though I like McDonald. I think he'd fit in well and be an asset.

8. drs23

drs23 New Member

With the 72nd pick the NY Jets select: Travis Frederick, OG, Wisconsin

Thick-bodied interior lineman with experience at guard and center. Possesses upper body strength to turn his man out of the hole, help one guard in pass pro with one hand. Gets his hands up quickly after the snap, keeps them inside. Also moves his feet well to get angles, combo from tackle to linebacker. Churns his legs as a drive-blocker, gets movement. Anchor is strong, does not get bulled backwards when man-up and late blitzers bounce off his chest. Works hard to sustain and finish one-on-one blocks. Regularly used on the move whether at guard or center, fits on blocks well whether stepping up to the second level or outside the hashes. Shotgun snaps are reliable with good velocity. -CBS Sports

With the 106th pick the NY Jets select: Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford

STRENGHTS: Well-built with a thick, powerful lower half. Commits quickly to the hole and possesses adequate initial burst to clear it before it collapses.

Doesn't shy away from contact, and keeps his feet churning on impact. Keeps his weight forward through the hole and on contact, and is able to grind out the extra half-yard falling down. Protects the ball well through traffic, and exhibits awareness to shift the ball to his outside hand prior to engaging defenders.

Although his skill set suits a one-cut running system, he does display some shiftiness and wiggle to make defenders miss in space. Possesses surprising burst out of a redirect or stop-start.

Highly effective pass-catcher, consistently plucking the ball off his frame and looking it in before turning upfield. Gets his eyes upfield quickly after the catch and wastes little motion in transition.

Relied upon heavily at Stanford to stay home and pass protect, and did so effectively, particularly on cut-blocks and chips, where he displayed good physicality and use of low leverage.

9. drs23

drs23 New Member

Finally finished the mock draft for the Jets

Here's a re-cap of our 2013 mock draft:

1) Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

2) T.J. McDonald, Safety, USC

3) Travis Frederick, OG, Wisconsin

4) Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford

5) Don Sims, TE, Michigan State

6) Chris Harper, TE, Kansas State

7) Daimion Stafford, S, Nebraska

I hope I did an OK job for the Jets. As in any draft, I didn't really get all the players I was after. It seemed as though some of the other GMs were thinking the same way I was. It's a deep draft though and I think these guys have a good opportunity to become players in the NFL. Some better than others of coarse.

The mock is over and now it's near time for the real thing. I hope John Idzik and Rex can put their heads together and get some guys that can make an impact while you guys are in transition. Mike Tannenbaum set your team back a few years with some really bone headed moves that are going to take a while to dig out from under. What was that guy thinking?