Jets Make Offer to Cromartie

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dude, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

The Jets need to put two offers for two different corners up against each other and make someone choose. They should have done this with Asomugha and Cromartie, but they decided to only negotiate with Asomugha.

2. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

It doesn't make sense to hold out anymore. Used to you could report late in the season and it counted for a year towards being a free agent. You can't do that anymore. Basically all the leverage is removed from the players in these situations now.

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Asomugha was setting the market for all CBs... Considering Cro and Asofagsma have the same representation, they most likely advised Cro to wait and see what Aso gets. Even if the Jets didn't inquire about Aso, they'd be looking at the same deal with Cro.

4. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

They couldn't have done that with Cromartie and Asomugha, they are both represented by Tom Condon.

Cromartie wasn't even going to listen to offers until Asomugha got signed and set the market.

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I don't think that's how it will work out. Teams can't afford to have assets go to waste. The player is counting on getting a new deal, getting cut or getting traded. Not every player has the clout to make that happen, but Revis does. You think the Jets would let him sit on the sidelines indefinitely? I can't see it.

6. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

They needed the Jets to negotiate the contract, though. It didn't look like he was serious about any team but the Jets, Texans, and Eagles. If they brought in Jonathan Joseph with those 2, and gave them all final offers, one of them would have definitely taken it. The agent did the smart thing, and the Jets obliged only because it was Asomugha, but the Jets shouldn't have done that.

7. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

What frustrates me the most about all these FA's is we keep waiting on these huge contract guys, spending days waiting to see what they are going to do.

While all this time we're sleeping on all these other prospects that are just getting scooped up.

Addressing the pass rush would've been nice:
    Cullen Jenkins
    Mathias Kiwanuka
    Ray Edwards
    Jason Babin

All gone while F'ing with Nnamdi and Cro

8. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Incarcerated Bob is reporting that the deal is being held up because the Jets want a mandatory vasectomy clause in the contract.

9. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

None of those guys are 3-4 pass rushers.

10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

I understand this, but they are the best options available via FA

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Babin has failed in the 3-4, Ray Edwards probably couldn't stand up and play OLB. DE isn't a pressing need with Wilkerson and a returning Pitoitua in the mix, and possibly Shaun Ellis or Ty Warren being cheaper options so Jenkins wasn't courted. Kiwi would've been intriguing, but isn't he coming off a major injury? I'm not upset we didn't land any of those guys, to be honest.

12. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Ellis signed today and the legal matter is still pending. IMO it is a non-issue.

13. Coach K

Coach K New Member

if were talking about prospects we whiffed on

Johnathan Joseph (if we were hell bent at CB we shouldve jus inked him and call it a day cheaper than Aso, and possibly Cro at this point)
    Manny Lawson
    Antawn Barnes
    Zach Miller

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Two of those guys are still available... I have a lot of hope about either Lawson or Roth replacing BT. If they're still available they shouldn't cost much and maybe on top of signing one we could keep the Cactus around at a reduced price.

15. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Joseph to me is the only real loss, especially if we end up paying Cro more, Joseph to me is the better cornerback, and he comes with a lot less baggage

16. DarrelleRevis.Human?

I agree, Cullen Jenkins was the best fit and the most suprizing candidate we've slept on

I thought for sure we would talk with him at least

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You don't slam a square peg into a round hole because its the best easy option. That would be like signing Edwards to play TE because he's a good blocking receiver. It does not make any sense and is not going to work worth a fuck.

18. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I lol'd :rofl:

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

A) Free Agency is far from over; B) You cannot sign every FA on your wish list (there are other bidders); C) Holmes & Burress, E Smith + the Rooks is pretty good thus far.

20. JeTsFaN_in_SoUtHFloRiDa

couldnt of said it better myself. All these guys everyone is crowing about dont fit the scheme, rex ryan isnt mangini. Get over it people.