Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

The Jets clearly are out of whack on his value. I think this move would be far worse than the Hatchette/McCareins moves.

The Jets got 32 catches for 359 yards out of 7th round Chansi Stuckey last year. I think they need to man up and come to terms with the fact that it's quite easy for them to draft someone who can exceed Austin's limited production.

-X-

2. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Unless of course they are looking to draft DEFENSE 1-2 and then they need a perennial band-aid to pacify the offense. Austin being the band-aid.

3. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

there must be some mid-rounder in the draft with the same type of build as this guy. sure austin hasn't had much of a chance, and has looked pretty good when given a chance. the problem with him is he was in the dallas offense. we can talk about how dysfunctional that team is all we want, but the fact remains that they were an offensive juggernaut as far as talent goes last year. no way he has seen anything more than single coverage from a nickel back so far in the nfl. not quite the body of work worth a second and an overpriced contract.

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

A 2nd? Nobody is giving up a second for this guy..

5. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Lots of folks here are advocating it, and he's spending TWO days here in NY, which sounds like the Jets may very well do it. I'd rather we not. Sigh.

6. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

If Austin is as good as Jones claims he is then why would they be willing to let him go in the first place since they cut T/O? This apparently means Jones is trying to Hype his value because he wants picks so he can upgrade at Wr for the Cowboys. If we get a Wr that is available I hope it is Ocho Cinco and that is it. Our HR threat comes via the draft not some mediocre scrub Jones is trying to fleece somebody with.

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

He's a restricted free agent, Jones isn't 'letting him go' he's waiting for him to find a contract offer.

If there's no offer he plays for like 1.5 million

8. FOURTHANDLONG

Gotcha. At the end of the day I think the only Wr that I would rather have over a draft choice is Chad Johnson if the price was a 2nd rd pick or less.

9. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

I dont like this move at all. But I don't know nothing about him if the team has fully scouted him and feel he is worth the 2nd round pick I'll wait till end of season to see how he does for us. Normally WR's take a few years to develop so I guess the FO is thinking we can get a guy now that we dont have to wait that long on.

10. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

It could just be due diligence and a "get to know you session" for next offseason. The Jets have done that before with restricted guys who will be FA one year later.

(I really hope that is what it is.)

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Agreed, altho I'd be kicking myself if we're at 17 and Maclin is there and we made that deal

That's unlikely tho

12. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That would be an awful deal, Miles Austin for a 2nd rounder???? I don't care if he has measurables, giving away a 2nd rounder is awful

13. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Rotoworld.com

Don't say he isn't worth a 2nd. If somebodies willing to give up 3 First Round picks for the guy then he's worth 3 First Round picks. If somebody is willing to part with a 2nd for him, then obviously he's worth it. You're worth what somebody is willing to spend.

#73 SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

You guys are seriously under valuing this kid. He looks as good as most of the wideouts you guys are creaming over coming out of the draft. He's a big kid with better then average speed who can also return kicks.
    I wonder how many of you naysayers have actually seen this kid play.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Mr. E, how do you feel about Louis Murphy? I know he was limited at Florida and comes in a bit raw, but he brings good size and athleticism, and seems to have nice hands. I've been looking at him as a potential mid-rounder, but how would you evaluate him with, say, a 3rd or 4th vs Austin with our 2nd?

16. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I'm going with T-Rex.

17. FOURTHANDLONG

You got that right. I hope he slips but I think he will be gone by the time we pick.

18. Drew

Drew Active Member

Tanyan.

If they are really this serious about Austin.. they clearly know something we don't. Maybe he is worth it. I don't fucking know. All I know is our 1st or 2nd round pick better be used on a WR in one way or another.

19. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

lol. That's my son's name. Spelled Tanyon, but pronounced the same.

20. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

He was an undrafted FA in 2006, and produced unspectacular numbers playing for a small school (Monmouth). What has he done with the Cowboys to warrant second round value and a sizeable contract?