Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

I agree. He's either great or a bust. As Jets fans, we should be used to getting busts out of our draft picks, so whats the big deal now?

2. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

I'd rather spend a second rounder on a guy who puts up 12-16 td's against actual good competition than guy who has played for 3 seasons and obviously wasn't given a real chance for a reason. I'd rather spend a second rounder on a potential number one receiver, not a posession #2 receiver. I'd rather see what we have in Clowney, who is already on our roster, and address other possible positions in the second round as well.

But your suggesting we spend a second rounder on a guy who's been a 4th wide receiver for a few seasons right?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/players/29607.html

just one of the 4 readings that i've seen who projected him as a possession receiver coming out of college.

#22 Jet21, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Have any of these receiver prospects caught a touchdown in the NFL? No.

Have any of these receiver prospects returned a kick for a TD in the NFL? No.

Miles Austin is the more experienced wideout.

He's been the league 3 seasons - so what? Ever hear of a developmental prospect. Look at Lance Moore in New Orleans...he came out of no where.

Austin is buried on a depth chart that's full of top tier receivers. Of course his stats aren't going to be there.

I'm not saying Miles Austin is a similar player to Justin McCareins...the situation is just almost the same.

McCareins could have been really good for this team. Keyword: could

4. SyracuseJet

Stop drinking the kool aid.

I tend not to debate these matters with MrE, he's usually spot on...

5. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

But he wasn't. Your right, no college prospects have returned kicks or caught td passes in the nfl, but some of them are expected to contribute right away because they have that talent. Miles had two knee ligament injuries in 2008, and is exactly the same type of player as a Cotchery. Syracuse said, what better prospects are there in the second round, he didn't say wide receivers. We can do a lot with a second rounder and address a couple of different positions. I wouldn't mind Miles Austin if we didn't have Clowney or Cotchery, but we have our speed guy in Clowney and we have a solid number two. We still have the ass clown brad smith, stuckey in the slot and wallace wright (wherever he is), what is the point in spending a second rounder in a guy who is a number two or 3 receiver at best?

#25 Jet21, Apr 8, 2009
  6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

..but, but, but - what has David Clowney done in his career? Oh, wait...he has ONE reception for 26 yards.

All of you Clowney lovers like him because of his...what's that word - POTENTIAL.

Miles Austin is not a similar player to Cotchery - what are you basing this comparison on?

Austin has breakaway speed...he's a deep threat with size.

(Justin McCareins wasn't a good player for the Jets, but they took a chance on him. Bill Walsh took a chance on Jerry Rice, look how that turned out)

7. SyracuseJet

Sounds like a number 1 WR to me...

8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Please no. There's plenty of WRs with questionable speed and questionable concentration that we don't have to use a 2nd pick on. This would be a HUUUUUGE waste. You don't use a 2nd rounder on a project player that's been in the league for a number of years and is STILL a project player. He's not a #1 or even a #2. I have to hope this is a joke.

9. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

if she's such a slut, how'd you get stuckey?

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Stop trying to use this against him - he didn't tear anything, so there's nothing to worry about.

He sprained his knee and the Cowboys held him out a few weeks...

This injury held him back in 2008 - he missed 4 games.

If you think about it, his receiving yards should have been around 400 +...

#30 Mr Electric, Apr 8, 2009
  11. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

But Clowney doesn't cost us anything to try? And Clowney has much more speed as a potential burner, and a better fit for our need as a number one. What am I basing it on? All of his draft profiles and even recent news suggest he is a solid possession receiver. Clowney isn't costing us a second round pick. That is a difference. We take a chance on a lot of guys, and they wind up having no impact whatsoever, and everyone on the board bitches about it and wants them gone. McCareins was never a number one receiver, he could of been a good receiver, but he was never a number one. Isn't that our need? Isn't that what countless threads have been made about and debated thoroughly? The fact that Jets fans want a guy out of the draft who is going to come in, and be a number one receiver and scare defenses?

#31 Jet21, Apr 8, 2009
  12. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

Agreed. Your talking about taking chances Mr.Electric, but your arguing against taking a chance on a guy on our roster who has legit speed, and who doesn't cost us anything. I am not saying Miles Austin couldn't be a good receiver, but he doesn't hold the value of a 2nd rounder.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

We need receivers. Not just one...

You can win in this league without a #1 wideout. The Patriots before Moss are a perfect example.

If the coaching staff feels Miles Austin is better than anything they can get in the second, I'm all for it.

He's a guy that I think can contribute right away - why? ...because he knows the pro game - he knows the speed of this game and the terminology of this game. It's very rare for a rookie to come in and be successful right off the bat.

#33 Mr Electric, Apr 8, 2009
  14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Austin is a solid reciever, most suitable in the slot or at the number 2 position to create a mismatch while the defense doubles the true number 1 reciever.

long story short, hes a solid prospect but nobody id give up our 2nd rd for. just my opinion.

but with TO gone i could see him developing into more. but I just find it hard to believe hes worth a new contract and a 2nd rd pick.

15. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

I agree with you. But you still haven't made the argument against Clowney in terms of value? A second rounder for a guy who has never played as a number one with the same experience as a guy already on our roster who has very good speed and hasn't been given a chance either? You may be able to win in this league without a number one wideout, but it makes things easier when you do have one.

I feel like the risk/reward value is much in favor of starting Clowney, and drafting a wide receiver somewhere, then spending a second rounder on another possession receiver?

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

There is no argument against David Clowney - he's already a member of this team. He has one career catch, but the coaching staff is apparently high on him. Not high enough in my opinion - they wouldn't be interviewing restricted FAs if Clowney was the answer to our receiving woes.

I want to see Clowney do well as much as the next guy, but brining in another seasoned NFL wideout can't hurt.

Miles Austin is not a possession receiver. He's a complete reciever - tall, fast, strong, and physical. If he wasn't injured and Roy Williams wasn't acquired, I believe he would've put up decent numbers in the slot.

Letting go of Terrell Owens for a relatively unknown player is a pretty bold move by Jerry Jones...

Risk/Reward? Miles Austin just turned 24 years old and he already has 3 seasons in NFL. I like Brian Robiskie a lot, but he's nothing more than a possession receiver...and I'll go back to what I've been saying about rookies, they haven't proven anything.

Why not start Austin and Cotchery and Clowney?

#36 Mr Electric, Apr 8, 2009
  17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

ive watched a pretty good amount of Cowboys games over the years and your right he definitely shows flashes the only reason I posted what I did is I'd like to build depth on this team through the draft.

but then again theyve been grooming Austin. but with Crayton's emergence we'd essentially be trading a 2nd rd pick for a suped up slot reciever, which is why as scary as your Justin McCareins references are, they are just as accurate.

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I like Austin as much as anybody but we're not getting...JJ loves the guy

19. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

He's definitely a good receiver...better than anyone we can get in the 2nd round at this point. Big play potential with that KJ height and weight in the EZ makes him worth it. This could get interesting.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

not a 2nd for potential.... a 3rd rounder and we can talk.