Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

I haven't heard much about Torry Holt...and I was just using Ashley Lelie as an example. He definitely didn't live up to the hype, but he's 6'3 and pretty fast. I am just exploring other options that no one has mentioned, because if we don't get Austin, which doesn't seem likely, it is almost certain we will go after one of the bigger receivers in the draft in the earlier rounds. However, I wanna see more of Wallace Wright this season and what he can bring to the table with his size.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I understand...honestly, I thought the front office would've signed a veteran wideout by now.

Getting Miles Austin actually seems very likely...according to multiple sources, the Jets haven't offered Austin a deal yet, but they are working on a contract. There's an article about a "poison pill contract" that our GM created to bring Curtis Martin to the Jets. It may be tough for the Cowboys to match the Jets' offer.

Wallace Wright is also only 6'1 200 -- his only value is on special teams, where he is a huge contributor.

3. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

you know what I am thinking though Mr.E ....The more I think about it I feel Tanny has something up his sleeve with acquiring Miles Austin, giving our second rounder away, but trading down our first pick in the draft to possibly acquire an extra second or third rounder. In theory, acquiring Austin would cost us very little in draft value. There are still teams that are going to want Josh Freeman or a guy like Beanie or Moreno if there on the board when we pick. Possibly, the lions trading up ahead of the Buccaneers to grab Freeman.

I just feel that Tanny and Rex definitely have something up there sleeve in acquiring Austin, and having it not hurt our draft and allowing us to be in a position address some of our other needs and depth in the first 4 rounds. Just my thought process though

#283 Jet21, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  4. ........

........ Trolls

You hit on what I've been wondering, and the reason I'm still thinking about this deal and refusing to call it idiotic. Unlike so many past Jets FOs, I have a lot of faith in this one. I can't imagine them being so gung ho about Austin without seeing something in him that appeals to them more than any projected available receivers in the first or second. Either they plan to go out and grab Moreno in the first, or have other designs on the pick, or they feel there's a chance they can trade down and fill multiple holes while adding Austin.

Either way, I'm certainly not sold on the signing, and won't be able to pass judgment until he actually takes the field. I'm at least considering it, though.

5. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

For me, it is just understanding the needs in relation to giving up a second rounder. From what I've read, Rex has been keeping a close eye on Gilbert. Why draft him at number 17, when we can potentially draft him later in the first round? Were bringing in top corners, top receivers and top running backs because they all show some kind of need in our lineup. I can't see us giving up a second rounder and leaving us with one pick on day one (the draft this year only has two rounds on the first day right?) leaving a couple of different positions open. I mean, we already don't have a 5th rounder from Lito right?

#285 Jet21, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

well i still think tanny is a very good gm. so if this deal is done i will give him the benefit of the doubt until the season starts. i am very skeptical about the chances of this working out very well.

7. ........

........ Trolls

Yep. No 5th rounder. We really could use an extra draft pick. Receiver is a top priority, and if they can't envision matching value to position, and feel Austin's a solid pickup, great.

If they're sold on Gilbert, I do hope they're able to trade back. I'd say we need to at least come out of the draft with WR, RB, DE, OG, and TE addressed. CB and ILB would also be nice, as would NT. Obviously, that's 8 positions with only 6 picks. Trading back once or twice at least allows us to get extra players in, although there's always the chance of a UDFA panning out in a depth position.

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Even though he didn't attend yesterday , these 'noises' coming out fill me with confidence....

9. gustoonarmy

Haha.......then the Dallas Star-Telegram reports this......well they would wouldn't they , seeing as they also got shot of one Mr T.O :wink:

10. gustoonarmy

Hmm maybe there was mileage in that after all ... Mind you its from PFT ;)

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Exactly my point but you're trying to twitch the facts so that it favors MA.

MA was on a team that had 3 WRs that were better than him, a TE that was a better WR than, and an HB that was better than him. Use the stats and see WHY Miles didn't get much opportunity. He has proved ABSOLUTELY NOTHING upto this point and you are willing to part ways with a second?

Cowboys had 8 other players who caught more than Miles Austin. How does that warrant a second round pick?

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Check out his excellent hands...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ACPv1_AR-g4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ACPv1_AR-g4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACPv1_AR-g4

13. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Rich Cimini posted on his blog that Austin visited with the Jets on Friday. We have a 6 days to tender him a offer. Sure the coaches will make the right decision, if they liked what they saw then they will make a run, if they didn't we will move on :up:

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Austin's a good receiver who can make the deep play almost everytime but lacks great hands and isn't as durable and has some injury problems. I dont think he's worth a 2nd rounder, Maybe 3rd.

15. Mr. Papagiorgio

He's worth maybe a fourth or fifth rounder, but that is it.

16. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

I'd rather use the 2nd rounder to pick up Lance Moore, to steal a page from Mike Lombardi;s book...

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Getting Austin for a 2nd will make me lose faith in Tanny.

The Patriots got a second-round pick for Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel and gave up only a 4th round pick for RANDY MOSS.

18. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

The only way this deal would go through would be if the Jets traded for him for a lower draft pick.

Still, the Cowboys would not want to give him up for a middle round draft pick.

19. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

How do you figure that?

20. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Because a.) The Cowboys want to keep him and, b.) they're entitled to a 2nd round pick if they decline to match our offer so why would they settle for anything less?