Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

hahaha...you're funny dude...either that or you dont watch the Cowboys play. TO's highest number of catches were 7, twice, and 6, once. All of the other 14 games, he had 5 or less catches. That leaves plenty of opportunities for other WRs and TE.

Still just 13 catches. Im not sold on giving up a 2nd rounder for a 13 catch guy who had a couple of knee injuries last yr.

As a matter of fact, I really don't mind it since Im a Cowboys fan also. I prefer this deal falls apart though.

2. ........

........ Trolls

He becomes our #2 target, traditional #1 receiver role. Typical of a more conservative offense, with our possession receiver, Cotchery, receiving most of the looks. Smith likely gets shipped to Cleveland for a second day pick.

Also a chance he sees time back with Leon on kicks.

BTW I think it's absolute bullshit that he didn't bother to show. Who does he think he is, TO?

3. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

With the deadline the 17th April for the Boys to match our offer, maybe we are cutting the time they have availlable to match it. Bit unclear on this, it says that all offers on restricted free agents have to be made by the 17th, but also that a team has one week to match any offer on a restricted free agent. So say we offer him a deal on the 13th, will the Cowboys have until the 17th which is the official deadline, or will they have till the 20th which is a week? Bit confused.

4. ........

........ Trolls

They get a week. The rule is in place to ensure all RFA offers are settled before the draft.

5. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Thanks, just checking. Strange how he has not turned up, isn't this the 2nd day in a row as well. :shit:

6. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

that makes the most sense from our end, though not from dallas's if they are as high on him as reports make it out to be.

could be a dallas smoke screen...not totally sold on spending a 2nd...a 3 or 4 would be good, but then we would know how much dallas really values him. who knows? he could be the next colston *drool*

7. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Just to put in my 2 cents. I'm not a fan of this move, but I still have some scar tissue from trading our second rounder for an unnamed washout from Tenn. He looked good as a third reciever as well. No thanks. Once bitten,twice shy.

8. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Rotoworld.com

9. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Ok, so I was off by 1 catch...fucking sue me why don't you. The fact remains that in a game where he was involved in the offense quite a bit by being thrown to over 15 times, catching 7, he STILL complained that he wasn't featured enough.

You really need to step back and look at this objectively...being a fan of both teams really has skewed your judgement.

10. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

Why would they give up a pick for this guy? Is he a #1? NO...I honestly don't think he's much better than what is already here.

11. jets272

jets272 New Member

Dallas Cowboys restricted free agent wide receiver Miles Austin visited the Jets Friday contrary to an earlier report.

The Jets didn't sign Austin, a former Monmouth University star, to an offer sheet but the meeting went well and the Jets told Austin that they plan to put together one in the coming days, according to a person with knowledge of the talks.

If the Cowboys doesn't match the offer, they would receive a second-round pick from the Jets as compensation. Dallas has extended a one-year, $1.54 million tender offer to Austin.

Although the restricted free agent signing period ends on April 17th, the Jets can sign Austin to an offer sheet anytime before then and the Cowboys will then have seven days from that point to match the offer.

While the Jets clearly like Austin, they are said to be hesitant about parting with a second-round pick, which would be 52nd overall. Austin, however, appears to be as good or better than any receiver the Jets could get in the second round.

Last season, Austin, 6-foot-3, 216 pounds, had 13 catches for 278 yards (21.4-yard average) and three touchdowns. The fourth-year pro also averaged 21.5 yards on 29 kickoff returns.

It's unclear if Austin, a Garfield High grad, left the area. The New Jersey native may visit with his family over the holiday weekend.

12. jets272

jets272 New Member

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

13. RLUCAS4137

RLUCAS4137 Member

I really think Jerry Jones has overvalued this guy w/ the 2nd rd tender, but to his credit, Tanny is biting. Dallas definitely needs to recoup those picks from the Roy trade and we definitely need a WR, but for a 2nd rd pick??? seriously?

I mean say the deal falls through, Austin is most likely going to be no better than the third option for Romo in the passing game, not even considering Marion Barber's above average receiving skills out of the backfield or M. Bennett (blogging extraordinaire). Even if he has a bad year it won't really matter because their WRs and TEs are vastly superior to ours, so they can compensate for his poor play. I just have a hard time justifying his worth, especially when they have a Sam Hurd and Crayton ready to step in for him.

It has been shown the Dallas message boards are upset about his possible departure, but come on, can't we all admit we fans sometime overrate our own guys' worth just a bit (i.e Brett Ratliff). I think the boys make out like somalian pirates if this deal goes down as advertised.

Of course I'm extremely hesitant bc of the McDouchebag debacle, but honestly, why shouldn't I be?

Other than the HBO show and about 4 games, I really cannot pass judgement, but adding an unproven to other unprovens just seems illogical to me. I just hope that if Tanny pulls the trigger its for something later than a 2nd.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Honestly man, don't worry about what Jets n Boys has to say -- how can someone call themself a true fan, when they root for two teams?

Just because the most receptions TO had in a game was 7, doesn't mean Romo didn't target him at least 15-20 times a game.

TO had 1052 yards...almost a third of the Cowboys receiving yards. Jason Witten has 952 yards receving. In Dallas, there are better options than Miles Austin...that's one reason why his stats aren't huge. Austin was never the #1 option when he was in the game -- I'm absolutely sure that Romo looks for TO or Witten on almost every play.

#274 Mr Electric, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  15. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

That's only if Dallas is actually trying to trade him. If he's tendered for a 2nd and the Jets sign him to and offer, Dallas can simply take our 2nd and be done with it. They wouldn't have to negotiate at that point.

I don't know a thing about this guy, but I can't imagine us giving up a 2nd for a former undrafted rookie that has yet to actually show anything.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

OK so now you're gonna try to prove your point calling me a hypocrite or something to that extent? Nice. I don't need you to tell me what I am. Im a hardcore Jets fan. AFTER that, I support the Cowboys. If this fits into your lil brain, fine. If not, not that I care.

The point I was making about TO getting more than 5 receptions in 3 out of 16 games was pretty clear. The ball was being divided pretty evenly. If anything, TO had been wide open several times when he was not thrown to. Thats usual, nothing out of the ordinary. When you or KSJETS say that Romo forced several throw towards TO is also true, and that too is usual. Fact is, with TO opening his bigmouth, it didn't change the way Romo played. You guys are idiots even trying to debate about this. And I don't actually blame you. You don't watch the Cowboys play and you're telling me stuff. Nice. TO complained about not getting enough passes thrown his way after the Redskins game. He had 8 receptions in the next 3 games. Wow, did Romo really made TO a happy person after he complained...Get a clue

I do agree with your last line. "there are better options than Miles Austin...that's one reason why his stats aren't huge." Right on the money there. You say this, and then you want to trade for MA as well. And then Im a hypo.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Buddy, I'm willing to guarantee that I watch just as much of the Cowboys, if not more, than you do...and I only root for the Jets.

What do you not understand about Romo "targetting" players? Not completions...targets.

I'm going to have to take out the stats --

The Cowboys' QBs - Romo, Bollinger, and Johnson totalled 327 completions...

Owens, Williams, Crayton, Witten, and Barber add up to 260 of those 327 receptions.

25 more of those receptions were by check-downs like Felix Jones, Deon Anderson, and Tashard Choice -- leaving us with only 42 more receptions to be split by the Cowboys backup players, who only take the field for about 10 to 15 offensive plays a game.

These backups consist of two tight ends: Martellus Bennett and Tony Curtis and two receivers: Miles Austin and Isaiah Stanback. 42/4 - about 10 catches per guy...

Austin didn't have much of a chance to put up big numbers in Dallas.

#277 Mr Electric, Apr 11, 2009
  18. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

This kind of thread should have a poll...I'm just interested to see what people think just out of curiosity, yes or no to giving up a second for Miles Austin. There is so much contradiction with all the debates (speaking generally, no one in specific), it's hard to see what people think.

Mr. E, just to clarify from one of your recent posts...If you feel that there are better options then Miles Austin, do you still feel that the Jets should give up a second rounder in exchange for him?

And I know this is a Miles Austin thread, but no one has mentioned that there are guys that have been released, or that are Unrestricted Free Agents still available... they might be old, but have shown production, are very low risk, and would fill a temporary need until any receiver we select in the draft is ready to come in and make an impact. Two guys that come to mind are Tory Holt and Ashley Lelie. Both pretty big receivers that would add some height to our receiving core and put another receiver on the roster. Just thought I would throw it out there because no one has mentioned it.

#278 Jet21, Apr 11, 2009
  19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I said that there were better options on the Cowboys - Terrell Owens, Jason Witten, and Roy Williams are all better players. A future HOF wideout, the best all-around tight end in the NFL, and a former top ten pick compared to an undrafted, project player. Who are you going to throw to?

If the Jets want to draft a wideout in the second round, then I'd rather trade it for Miles Austin -- no one better than Miles Austin will be there at 52.

Robiskie and Nicks will be gone...

Austin is further along than anyone we can get in the draft and he's still very young. He has a great combination of size and speed.

#279 Mr Electric, Apr 11, 2009
  20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Torry Holt is barely 6'0...and he's demanding a lot of cash. I think he'll end up with Cutler in Chicago. Orlando Pace wants Holt to join him in Chicago.

Ashley Lelie is terrible. He never lived up to the hype and he has stone hands. There's a reason why he's been on 4 different teams in 7 NFL seasons...