Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He went undrafted, but Parcells signed him as a undrafted rookie free agent...and he made the team. He wasn't sent to the practice squad.

and

Bill Parcells works for the Dolphins now -- he's not telling the Jets anything.

2. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Understood but Bill Parcells was involved in his acquisation. That alone means alot. Bill Parcells is the best NFL talent scout/GM/ in the league.

3. ........

........ Trolls

Not sure about Parcells' track record with receivers, though. He inherited most of the good receivers that he's had.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Hard to call this one it does look like McCariens all over again.

I don't particularly like the move becuase the guy is not a proven go to WR. It makes sense to me to give up a 2nd for a proven go to guy when we are likely to start an unproven QB. This just doesn't meet that criteria.

We have unproven potential at WR I prefer to take BAP than unproven vet to fill a hole which he may or may not fill and we may or may not have the answer on the team now?

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You couldn't be more wrong. Parcells as a GM has one career playoff win, his NE SB he was stripped of power in 1996 and when he won 2 SBs George Young put those teams together. he puit together 3 embarrassingly bad drafts for us and so far all that talent he supposedly drafted in dallas has yet to win a playoff game.

6. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Other than Terry Glenn and Keyshawn, no others are coming to mind for me either. I always tend think of Parcells' early round draft picks in terms of defensive players.

7. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more.

8. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I dunno if I follow your logic. If we extend it then Roy Williams (whom you believe to be one of the better WR in the league) was traded for at a high price to play the slot role. Also, and more damning for Austin, is the fact that Crayton then stayed ahead of him on the depth chart and played the #4 WR spot.

The bottom line is that Austin isn't that good. I'm a Giants fan, I get to see him at least 2X a year. Trust me, he isn't anything special at this point in his career and does not warrant giving up a 2nd round pick.

9. TheGatoradeBoy

TheGatoradeBoy Active Member

A 2nd round pick for a guy who has 18 CAREER receptions? You're telling me we couldn't draft a 4th rounder who could give us 18 catches this season? Hard to believe.

Terrible move if we sign him... stinks like McCareins, except McCareins actually had 3 times as many catches and 4 times as many yards (48/800) in year before we signed him than in Austins CAREER.

For every 5 good moves Tannenbaum makes... he always makes one AWFUL, Baffling personnel decision.

Sure hope Cowboys do us a favor and match.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It doesn't make much sense to me either and I'm against it, but there has to be a good reason the FO brought him in for a visit.

Hopefully it's just some homework for next year when he becomes a FA or maybe Dallas has told teams he'd be available on draft day ...

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We drafted a edge rusher in the first who couldn't record a sack. Of course we could draft a WR in the 4th who couldn't catch 18 balls. The draft is a crap shoot but so is a WR who hasn't produced a crap shoot.

12. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Austin doesn't line up in the slot (at least not this past year) he usually lined up opposite TO when he made plays. However, we don't have a TO who will play opposite of him here and we sure as hell don't have a Tony Romo behind center as well.

Maybe the other added value that Austin brings is knowledge of TO and his tendencies on the field. Maybe. Is that worth a 2nd round pick?

I'm gonna go with the Giants fan assessment on Austin with this one and hope we keep our second.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Just up.........

Hes also a NJ native which could also swing it :wink:

14. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

15. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Please...TO complained after a game in which he had like 15 passes thrown his way or some crazy number and caught like 8 of them.

My point still stands in that TO complained about passes being thrown to the PB TE. There is no way he would have put up with the 4th string receiver getting a lot of passes thrown his way.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Thanks Gus. Well, let's see what happens. I definitely don't like the part about a ton of upfront cash. That would potentially limit our negotiations with Leon, unless LW signs a straight extension. If Austin is heading in for our 2nd, I want Moreno with our first.

17. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

I think some of you are reading this the wrong way. The 2nd round tender is to bring teams to the table for discussion. He could end up being traded for a 4th or one of Tanny's famous conditional picks. I dont see him coming here outright for the 2nd.

I still don't understand why the Jets didn't draft him in the late rounds 3 years ago. It was a no brainer give that he was a local guy with good ht/wt, speed, and the sucess we've had with another great receiver from that school. I thought we screwed that up way back then and now we have to pay.

18. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Rotoworld.com

19. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Come on Austin, get your butt down here......

20. jgangstahippie7:18

SO if we do get him where does he fit in?
    1. Cotch 2. Austin 3. Stuckey 4. Clowney 5. Smith 6. Wright ?