Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Rotoworld.com

Little Austin Info: 6'3'' 216lbs 24 Years Old. Last year he caught 13 passes for 278 yards and 3 TDs. 21.4 yard Average.

Combine Numbers, for those who care: 21 Reps on Bench, 40.5'' Verticle Jump, 4.51 and 4.52 40 Time.

#1 SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Interesting. I mean if its between trading a second round pick to get Austin or Ocho Cinco I'm taking 85 hands down.

3. Drew

Drew Active Member

Is Austin really worth a 2nd rounder? I've never really seen him play.

But like mj said if that's the case... I would rather spend a 2nd on a proven commodity in Ocho Cinco but who knows.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Miles Austin has all the makings of a solid receiver...

(...this is very similar to the Justin McCarein's situation, which scares me a little)

Chad Johnson is a solid receiver, but he lacks size and he causes problems. I'm not sure he's the type of wideout that this coaching staff is looking for. Ocho Cinco isn't very physical.

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Man, if the Jets actually try and sign this guy and give a mid 2nd rounder to the Cowboys...I will be shocked.

#5 PennyandtheJets, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

a 2nd round pick for this guy? I don't know much about him ... a 2nd?

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give up any picks for that guy.

8. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

I agree with the Ocho Cinco for a number two over Miles Austin. I am not sold on Austin at all. I don't think I would give up anything but a 6th rounder for this guy. He is not an upgrade over Clowney, and to me, not a number one receiver. If we give up a second for him, I would be extremely angry because than Clowney is in the backburner again. I say either grab Ocho, a guy that has shown he can make an impact for his offense, or give Clowney a legitimate shot while a WR we can draft in the second round develops. Or, use a number 2 on a wide receiver like Robiskie who can come in and contribute from day one.

9. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

While those numbers are impressive...the guy hasn't really done that much in this league. If we are gonna trade a 2nd rounder for this guy maybe the Jets see something.

It is hella risky in my opinion, but...In tangini I trust.

10. SyracuseJet

I'd take it. What do the Jets have in the second round that looks better? PLus this frees them up to do what ever they want in the first round...

And all this Number 2 for Johnson crap is pointless, they've already been said to want a 1st and a 3rd.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Miles Austin is more proven than any rookie wideout the Jets can select. Austin has shown flashes of big play potential - much like Justin McCareins did with the Titans before the Jets traded for him...it's a very similar situation.

I can honestly see Austin becoming a #1 wideout. He has been compared to Terrell Owens in the past - it's possible that he becomes a big time player from a relatively unknown school.

Yes, he's never been a starter, but he's never been given that chance - especially playing behind Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, and coach favorite Patrick Crayton.

If we don't make this move, the Jets may or may not regret it. I'd pull the trigger if I was Tannenbaum...

12. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

Robiskie, Britt, Nicks look better than a guy who has had 215 yards, out of 4 games with a knee injury last season, and only had 3 td's. In the second round, there will be tons of depth and talent in other positions. He's in his 4th season I'm assuming and the guy has a total of 354 receiving yards, and you want us to spend a number two pick on the guy? Yeah right. I'm not sure if your being serious or not.

13. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

The Cowboys are on TV nearly every week here in the midwest and I watched Austin play quite a bit. He is a good returner but I think he is just #2 receiver at best:

[YOUTUBE]ysQ0Alrdc2U[/YOUTUBE]

14. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

ugh yea we have a guy named rex ryan as a coach now:smile:

15. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

Well, he was acquired before Roy Williams, so he had a chance to play then. Your making comparisons to JMac who dropped tons of crucial balls and was an absolutely pathetic wide receiver. And what are you talking about he has proven more than a wide receiver in the draft? The dude has had 354 receiving yards in his whole career. 1/3 of them came in one game against Green Bay?

16. SyracuseJet

No your absolutely right. 278 yards recieving by your 4th WR is horrible, what was I thinking. We'd be better off spending our 2nd on a guy who has never done anything in the NFL and hope for the best. Good point.

And Jerry Jones was comfortable releasing TO because he had Austin, but what the hell does he know about football.

17. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

A second is a pretty steep, but I'd be happy to see him in Jets' green. I've seen him play and he has a LOT of potential but he'd definitely be a project. Signing him as a #1 would be a pretty big risk, especially with our QB situation.

18. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

Exactly, and we have a number two in Cotch, and we have some returners.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

According to this article, Austin will be in town Thursday AND Friday.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

haha - Rexenbaum?