Jets looking at Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Mehta just said that he still hasn't left the area yet.

People are acting like the Jets have already lost him.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Welcome to TGG. Welcome to the Jets fanbase really. The sky is consistently falling and everyone is indicted before they do something wrong.

JdotGriff likes this.
  3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

So if Geno has a mediocre statistical year in his rookie year but Orton is pedestrian at best, Orton gets the benefit of the doubt while Geno doesn't? That Bears D was/is better than last year's Jets D(That defense basically willed them into a SB appearance) and Thomas Jones was very good that year. That Bears team if anything was like the 09 Jets....

He was the starting QB for a great Bears team led by its killer defense sure, that's a fact. Doesn't mean he was good. Trent Dilfer "won" the Bucs a SB but we all know the reason why the Bucs won it all that year......

This has absolutely nothing to do with me being emotional for defending Geno Smith. I've called out his bad play last year plenty of times but I also have a level-headed belief in not giving up on a rookie ever in this league. He could bust? Sure. He could also be a quality starting QB too. Lets wait and see.

He'll get a shot somewhere else if he doesn't succeed with the Jets. Sanchez got signed....Kellen Clemens got signed...so will Geno. JaMarcus Russell has gotten tryouts and workouts post Oakland.......no matter how much someone can hate Geno Smith, he's never going to be that bad or lazy.

4. BakerMaker

We have some of the most impatient fans in sports. We're among the very few who boo rookies play by play. We even boo draft picks!

JdotGriff and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  5. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

not one of these picks deserved anything less than boos. thankfully we have learned to draft better over the last 15 or so years, but god we squandered draft picks back in the day

6. BakerMaker

That's hindsight though.

Dudes haven't even taken snaps and we've booed guys. That takes a special franchise/fanbase to do.

7. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

its not about the player, its about what we could have taken instead. and in a lot of those cases, they were guys that were MUCH higher prospects than what we took

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is true, however you have to admit that the Jets have made some major reaches in the 1st round over the years. It's like the team has never had a really solid group of evaluators working for them since Weeb retired. Too many dart throws at big names over the years. Too many "we've got a secret" picks.

9. BakerMaker

Those were misses absolutely....but I just don't get the groans and boos over players many of those people who attend draft day has barely seen(And if they have, Youtube highlights). Mo Wilkerson went rounds before Richard Sherman, Sherman is the better player. Doesn't mean Wilkerson's a bum though. Coples went before Doug Martin....Martin's better but Coples has been a good player in his 2 years as a Jet.

After a body of work for a player if they've been a letdown? Absolutely. But who knows as soon as a draft pick happens.

Its more for show and fun for the fans if anything which is why I don't get crazy when a Jets drafted player does get booed by our fanbase. Its still pretty telling though of the fanbase lol.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Freeman McNeil deserved boos? How is he considered a draft blunder?
    led the NFL in rushing in '82 and avg 5.2 ypc. rushed for over 1300yds in '85 with 4.5 ypc.
    injuries unfortunately held him back some, but far from being a draft blunder.

11. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

We have done pretty damn well since about 2000 with first round picks.
    Unless I'm forgetting a few pretty sure out of the last 14-15 first round picks
    we hit a bust on 2 of them?

Dee Milliner
    Sheldon Richardson
    Quinton Coples
    Muhamid Wilkerson
    Kyle Wilson
    Mark Sanchez
    Vernon Gholston
    Dustin Keller
    Darrelle Revis
    DBrickashaw Ferguson
    Nick Manigold
    Johnathon Vilma
    Dewayne Robertson
    Bryan Thomas

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

of course not. in not knowing you aim to get him at the $3-4 million that would appear to be the going rates for RB. if it is a situation in which he has an offer for more but would sign with the Jets if they matched it, the Jets have to weigh how much they are willing to overpay above their value of him if he doesn't perform to the level that additional amount would warrant.

why would you jump to the conclusion by my statement that the answer would be to do nothing when nothing I said would even remotely intimate such?
    because I brought up the 80%, I will take it upon myself to address how asinine your reply is about waiting to see what he is when he is healthy again.

you have to sign him before you get to see it, so there is no waiting to see for the Jets. They have to draw a conclusion about where he is prior to signing him, so there is no merit to your position of wait and see when it comes to the reality of actually signing him. his value to the Jets will be based on what level of play they think he is capable of -- 90% of his past play, 80%, or maybe 100%.

but once you accept that his play will likely be declined, which you clearly have in your above post, you are then forced to speculate about what amount of decline he has, so it is hypocritical to criticize the speculation of the amount of decline while also admitting the decline exists.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i don't think Goodson could backup both Ivory and Johnson, as he's never shown he can carry the load or be an every down back in the NFL.
    He's fragile, and best used on a limited snap count, 3rd downs as a receiving threat (which he is very effective at).
    He has a very steep hill to climb right now, coming off ACL surgery on top on an extensive injury history, and possible jail time. Even if no jail time, there is possible league discipline. That's a lot of baggage for a fairly one dimensional guy.
    This will be his 6th year in the league. He's had chances to show what he can do. At some point, you stop going off potential.

Powell is very good at pass protection, at protecting the football, and at fighting for the tough yds between the tackles.
    That is why he saw as much action as he did last season.
    He is not a blazer or a bulldozer, and will never be a superstar, but he is a back you can count on. can't say the same about Goodson.
    I think its a no brainer we'd stay with Powell. Goodson could possibly earn a spot as well, especially if he can show something on kick returns, but it will be a tough hill to climb as mentioned. He has a lot to prove to the coaching staff and FO in order to remain a Jet.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't think the Jets should rely on Goodson for anything other than a news story about his sentencing.

15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Can I borrow a few dollars?
    Just a million or 2 will do.

JetBlue likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We hit busts on Bryan Thomas, Dewayne Robertson, Dustin Keller, Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez and Kyle Wilson also. None of those guys were worth the picks spent to draft them.

We had to let Jonathan Vilma go at a loss overall because we switched out of the front he worked best in two years after drafting him.

We had to let Darrelle Revis go because we completely mismanaged the player - team relationship to the point that it became poisonous to both sides. When you trade up for a guy and then tell the world he's the greatest you have basically written your own epitaph.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From last night at Knicks game...Old lady looks petrified

MoWilkNYJ likes this.
  18. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

To us it a lot but to the NFL it not shit.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

46 years of waiting isn't impatient.

20. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Oh no. Sending him to a Knicks game will never get him to sign with Jets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.