Jets looking at Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Please note the established GM's you want to celebrate for their free agent signings and what exactly they have won.

Reese definitely overpaid for DRC and Revis chose the Pats. Other than those two players, what established GM's signed all the other free agents that have any championship success as GM's that you want to applaud?

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It is absolutely a passing league. Look at the number of pass attempts league wide last year compared to 10 years ago. To say it's not a passing league is to ignore what's actually happening.

That's not to say you can't win with strong defense and a strong running game, obviously the Seahawks had both. They also have a very good young QB who doesn't make a lot of mistakes and plays well under pressure.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets running game is already more than solid. We ranked 6th last year in the NFL in yards on the ground, 5th in rushing attempts and 1oth in yards per carry.

Signing Chris Johnson just makes a good thing better. He's a luxury for the Jets not a necessity.

The 1985er likes this.
  4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

5. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

In your opinion Reese overpaid for DRC. As for Revis the Jets should had at least called his agent.

6. Br4d

The Jets had a hard time dealing with Feinsod and Schwartz in the past. I completely understand them not wanting to rekindle that relationship.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  7. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Something a little more league wide would of been better but thanks. Interesting that Damon Harrison and David Harris will be free agents next year though apparently.

8. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i hope players arent using the jets to make there price go up like players did to the dolphins recently...i really think decker is a jet because his wife wants to be in nyc area so it was easy talk..................................... i like chris johnson but if we didnt get him id be ok also.....12 draft picks............

The 1985er likes this.
  9. Geno007

He is a need. We need a home run hitter.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He is not a need. He is a luxury.

Ivory and Powell were more than enough

tiger8mush and The 1985er like this.
  11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

the owner wanted no part of him.

12. Br4d

If Harrison has a good year this year the Jets are in a very good position to lock him up for 4 years. They have the cap space to pay him decently and they have the leverage afforded by his RFA status to get him to agree to a win-win deal.

If Kerley has a career year on his way to free agency the Jets have some leeway there also.

If Harris has a bounce-back year and the Jets think he's gotten his second wind and will be a veteran presence for them until he retires they have some cap space to make a win-win happen.

It's not just the superstars the Jets are saving money for. It's the team as a whole.

Every player in the Jets locker room perked up when Calvin Pace got a decent win-win deal out of the Jets this year. That told the team that if you play hard and get results you have a chance at a decent reward from the team you played for instead of hanging out in the potentially chill winds of veteran free agency.

13. JetBlue

Cliches do not an argument make.

14. Geno007

How do you know that?

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Giants and Patriots have won just a little more than the Jets over the last 45 years, do I need to go into that? As far as overpaying for Revis or DRC that's crazy, DRC can be dumped after two years and Revis after 1. If you have the need and the money to spend then you spend it to make your team better..at least the GMs on teams that win do.

16. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Definitely see why we need some carry over cap from this year, some key guys on our team will need new contracts next off-season.

The 1985er likes this.
  17. JetBlue

Yes it is my opinion and I believe history will validate it. And although as a fan I'd live to have had revis back I never had to deal with him and his agents on a daily basis on the past. Revis obviously burned his bridge with the Jets and nobody can be critical of them for not wanting to deal with him any longer. You can't claim your preference is greater than their experience just because signing him would make you feel good. So, no, they should not have called if they chose not to want anything to ever do with him.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

First of all I do not think $3.25 mil a season is a high tier number. I think it is very reasonable mid tier compensation.

I also think a huge part of the TB implosion had to do with their CS, but agree it was also Freeman's failure to perform. If those pieces had fallen into place, TB no doubt would have had a much better season. I assume TB ownership fired the CS not because of moves the FO made in FA.

Where we agree is on the particulars of the Jets' situation at Qb. Here I think the big question facing the JEts this season is whether they have a Qb on the roster that they will want to keep for the medium, let alone long, term. I thikn the answer is likely no, but concede that is not only merely an opinion, but one based on rather limited evidence pro or con.

But... Smith's supporters have something of a point in saying he was not surrounded by great talent on O, although i think that lack is overstated. But as far as the point goes, the answer seems to be that the Jets should upgrade talent on the Offense to in effect better test the ability of Smith to stick. The Decker signing was part of that effort.

Having said that, testing Smith is not the only item on the agenda. I suppose an overall improvement in a SMith led offense might still be identified if the D declines, but it is problematic to do so. If the secondary is giving up too many points and the O must play from behind, count on Smith's defenders to make that point. In short having two starting quality Cb's on the roster is not inconsistent with testing Smith this season.

Nor would be signing additional help in FA to supplement the offense's roster.

In any event I do not trust this FO to enter next season with a new Qb and in one off season's moves field a competitive team. As a general principle signing some FA's this year to longer term deals is not inconsistent with building the team for success past this coming season.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets offense sucked a bag of dicks the last several years and failed to put up many points. Chris Johnson has been top 25 in all purpose yards the last several years.

Points are a necessity. Johnson can help us score points.

20. JetBlue

That's two teams that I already addressed. Considering there were more free agents than just those two signed you should have an easy time compiling a list beyond those two that I already addressed that don't fit the bill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.