Jets hotly pursued Matt Schaub in 2006

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Oct 6, 2012.

1. drs23

drs23 New Member

This year Matt does have a "pick your poison" arsenal of weapons. It's not always been that way, but it is now.

To address the bolded, I'm not quite so sure about this but certainly can't dismiss it completely. My uncertainty lies in the football knowledge/decision making ability between the two. Kubiak's offense is very complex. From what I've seen so far from Sanchez I'm not so sure that he would be delivering Schaub like performances.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am just saying that its surprising that the Falcons didn't pull the trigger on the Schaub swap but gave up their first round pick instead (especially as they ended up trading him for second round picks).

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Mangini would still be here, we'd have more talent since we wouldn't have to trade up for Sanchez and maybe win a SB by now

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I remember the Schaub rumors I also believe we went after Billy Volek at one time,,but I could be wrong

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Yep, same here ... and you are correct. Volek was in our scopes also.

6. bobaru

bobaru Banned

Please.... no one's winning anything with Man-'gina. If he were GM, you'd be calling for Tan-bomb- thinkin' he's great 'caus ya don't have him. Grass is always greener.

Truth is...there's only so far these asshats can go riding on the coat-tails of Bellichek. The whole Cleveland entarauge (sp?) needs to be put to rest. They may be successful in gaining coaching/scouting/management positions. But, then ya get nothing. .... Ya get Sanchez.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Mangini drafted 4 pro bowlers and never got a healthy QB, well he got Brett Favre and we know what happen then

Rex and Tanny have drafted 1 almost pro bowler in 4 years

8. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Schaub wouldn't be as good as he is now if he became a Jet. This organization would have screwed him up.

9. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

It's hard to say which is more valuable two 2nd round drafts or one 1st, especially when it comes to salary cap and the odds that you'll make the right pick. I googled this article that trade was made because he was going to become an unrestricted free agent so rather get something for him than nothing if they couldn't afford to retain him. They also moved up from a 10th to 8th 1st round pick in the draft. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-schaub032107

A lot of these moves in the draft go unnoticed but have a profound impact years later. Btw, this is where ATL used it to draft Matt Ryan and the Jets got Gholston. If you want to know heart break look at all the players Jets passed on. http://football.about.com/od/nfldrafthistory/a/2008draftresult.htm RB: Felix Jones, Jamaal Charles, Mendenhall, Chris Johnson, Ray Rice QB:Flacco, WR: DeSean Jackson, Jordy Nelson,

Hind sight is 20/20. The stellar moves you missed are remembered but all the bad moves that didn't get done are forgotten. Good and bad luck are never in short supply. Atl had good luck getting Vick and Schaub, then bad luck trading Schaub and losing Vick via dog scandal, then good luck with Matt Ryan, etc. Well run franchises weather the ups and downs of luck better than those who depend on it.

#29 Jon_Snow, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  10. TexansFan

TexansFan Banned

This arsenal of weapons includes 1 guy drafted higher than the 4th round, Andre Johnson. Mostly made up of 4th and 5th round TE's, 7th round and undrafted WRs, and an undrafted RB. Kubiak doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves.

11. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

^How involved is Kubiak in terms of picking the personnel on draft day? Or is the credit you're talking about due to Rick Smith's underrated ability to find talent?

I'm sure you guys are ecstatic with Kubiak and why wouldn't you be as you're 4-0. But I have to say from an outsiders point of view it sounds extremely lazy when he has the weapons he does as well as a great number 2 back in Ben Tate to come out and say you're going to give the ball to Arian Foster 400 times this year. Way to protect that 43 million dollar investment.

12. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Holy shit I didn't even see this until now. Really? Josh Freeman?!

This fanbase really sucks sometimes.

13. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

You can't make this shit up folks.

14. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

What could have been..........Marino!

15. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

Josh Freeman is elite. If only we had him we would have won a Super Bowl. :smile: Gentlemen we have officially reached a new low.

16. TexansFan

TexansFan Banned

I meant for kubiaks scheme, these guys are not great talents as shown by their draft position. Owen daniels is not the match up problem other TE's with his numbers are. Kevin Walter has good hands and can run block well. These guys get wide open all the time because of Kubiaks passing routes.

Also, Rick Smith has no ability to find talent. Kubiak is doing all the offensive picks, Wade Phillips showed up and started doing the defensive picks. I give Rick smith credit for dealing with the cap and doing deals but that blew up on him when we lost Mike Brisiel. I won't say anything about how he handles Foster because he pulled him off the scrap heap and made him successful. Arian is a head case who was lazy and blamed others for his problems. Not to mention there is no way he has 400 carries at the end of the year, kubiak comes from the shanahan school don't believe what he tells the media.

tl;dr

over rated : rick smith, texans offensive talent
    under rated: Kubiak system

17. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Call me crazy... Yeah yeah yeah...Mangold is the best center in the game, blah blah blah. How the hell does one even quantify something like that?

You know what? I STILL would have preferred 7 more years of John Abraham. Especially considering we STILL HAVE NOT REPLACED HIM. It's 2012 for chrissakes. Abe last played here in 2005. What a disgrace.

18. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan New Member

I'm certainly glad that we got Schaub for the price we got him.

2 draft picks worth spending.

19. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Schaub was 28-30 after 58 games in Houston. Sanchez is 33-24 from 57. Does anyone think Schaub isn't run out of town at that point if he's playing in NY?

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I cant really get too excited about missing out on Schuab - its not like we lost out of a perennial top 5 QB here - sure he is better than Sanchez but the so are most QBs.

Imagine being a niners fan and all throughout the off-season until the final moments you were locked into Aaron Rodgers, then at the last minute Alex Smith gain momentum and you take him instead. Imagine that Niners team now with Rodgers back there - it would be practically back to the Montana/Young glory years.