Jets hire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

do you have a link?

cos if you do? fuck sam soft-ass darnold and whats fucking comfortable.
    this shows arrogance and lack of initiative.
    and pressers " i just have to be better" " i am not consistent enough"

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Morris is a Christian not Muslim.
    Looks like he may become the next DC in Jax

3. TonyFtLaud

Look through the preseason presses. Palmer also came to his defense right after claiming his mechanics are fine.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

NC, You were not even sold on most of the QBs that are on the board until you saw them on YouTube or play in the college football games.

Now you want to proclaim them potential FQB and want JD fired if he doesn’t select one of them.

JD had these guys scouted and graded before you and I knew who they were.

Comparing Jets current situation to Macagnans situation is not very reasonable, there are no Mahomes in this draft.

It was also Macagnans inability to draft quality players in the 2-6 rounds that crushed the Jets and put him in a spot that he had to give away draft capital for Darnold.

It’s a cycle that has to be broken, one way or another the drafting philosophy has to be done one way moving forward.

I understand the role of the QB on a team, I simply disagree with your take on it. I’m tired of reaching for potential FQB and having those selections turn out to be duds.

None of us here are scouts and we don’t work for professional football teams, we are just sharing our opinions based on our Jet fandom historical perspective on how we would like Jets to build team.

SOJAZ, chandler and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Losmeister

and if Palmer says his mechanics are fine that alone should damage his reputation infinitely.

SOJAZ and TonyFtLaud like this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

Probably as a free safety if he does. Hes been saying he wants to switch to the position and Saleh used him there down the stretch several times.

7. Losmeister

i think you and him are really saying the same thing- WE NEED A QB!

if you pick the right guy, there is no "reach" our scouting has let us down.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How could anyone be sold on a player they haven't seen play? That makes no sense. I have now watched game film and film analysis on each of those three QBs and have seen enough to know that they have FQB potential. It doesn't take a year's worth of research and watching to know if someone has talent and potential at a high level or not, particularly when one also watches analysis by a former NFL QB like JT O'Sullivan.

I totally disagree. It is totally reasonable to compare the upcoming draft to 2017. It doesn't matter that there's no Mahomes, because most of you guys and the "experts" didn't have Mahomes rated that highly anyway. They do have all 4 of the top QBs rated as high 1st round picks, and each of them is very talented and has a ton of potential.

You're tired of idiots like Bradway, Idzik and Mac reaching and missing on QBs, not Douglas. Besides, the QB position is too important to simply punt on. There is no way to build a great football team punting on taking a QB or adopting a philosophy of fear where you avoid taking a QB because you might miss.

As far as the cycle being broken, it already has been. Douglas found a great player in the 1st, and potentially great players in the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th rounds. We don't know about Morgan yet, but even he could be a very good player

9. NCJetsfan

I agree that he can fix it during the offseason and should have already. Hopefully, for both his sake and the Jets' (or his new team's sake) he is working on it already. If he is willing to make the change and put in the work, then he should play at a much higher level in this new offense.

Someone asked earlier about a link. Do you have a link for that preseason presser where Sam said he wasn't going to change his footwork because it was comfortable for them? I think it would be helpful for others to see it.

I will definitely be checking out QBs in next year's draft. Thanks for the recommendation. I've already seen Rattler play once and have read some analysis on both Rattler and Howell. I know that they're ranked as probably #1 and #2 QB in the 2022 draft, but I'm not sure I'd agree at this point that they would be battling for 2nd and 3rd after Lawrence. I'll have to see a lot of video of both of them before I would rank them ahead of Fields, Lance and Wilson.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It’s not a matter of fear, and you made my point for me. JD could have traded away draft capital and moved up last year to get Herbert but he let the board come to him. He has already proven that he’s not going to give away high and valuable draft capital for potential.

He used the mid rounds to draft potential, Perine, Bryce Hall, Zuniga, Morgan.

I understand every draft is different but I believe that’s his philosophy, first and second round picks are for day one starters and later rounds are for players with room to develop.

If he is going to select a QB with second pick, it’s because he expects him to start at some point during the season.

While I’m not a fan of Sam Darnold at this point, his 4th year is allowing JD to bypass the QB position and focus on adding more talented players to the team.

That’s my honest opinion based on the information in front of us as Jet fans.

#590 Red Menace, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    SOJAZ, FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. Losmeister

Starting the worst starting QB over 3 years in the NFL allows you to bypass selecting a QB.

how does that make sense?

12. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Florio said on the pregame today that in addition to Bienamy, DeShawn Watson also asked HOU to bring in Saleh.

Texans were the only team with an opening that did not request an interview with him.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Whatever Sam needs to change in the off season should be a coordinated plan generated by our coaching staff. I seriously doubt Allen nor Mayfield did that all on their own. They were well coached with an improvement plan and revised game plays both for the off season and pre season. Apparently that plan did not exist for Sam, or if it did and ignored is an indictment on both the CS and Sam. Some how I have a hard time believing than Sam chose not to do it, because is was not comfortable.

SOJAZ, FJF, BrooklynJetsFan and 3 others like this.
  14. Losmeister

i posted at least one if not more quotes on JA doing his offseason work, not a mention of a single Bills coach.
    the resources are available.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. I think the disconnect we have is that in my eyes this is a guy that is still learning to play the position & still figuring out his game.Should he be further along? Most likely. And w. the weaknesses youve outlined, the subpar surrounding cast does not lend itself to him making improvements.

I dont think Sam needs a mechanical overhaul.

His footwork on many levels is what it is.Hes an innovator not a technician. The Jets or where ever he lands needs to accept that for what it is & scheme/build around it the same way the Steelers did after yrs 2-3 of Roethlisberger regressing in his development. What Sam needs is to simply throw w a better base.Not off his back foot,not off balanced or over extended. Which leads to..

His surroundings are directly affecting his ability to overcome said develpmental pitfalls.

How is he supposed to improve his throwing base & keeping his balance when he constantly has pressure right in his lap which flushes him from the pocket meanwhile nobody gets open downfield?

How is he supposed to improve his decision making when again guys dont get open,hes bailing on his dropback almost immediately due to pressure? Nevermind guys gettting open QBs like to know who they can go to & count on in certain situations quite often before the ball is even snapped. Hes had next to none of that.

So while Sam definitely shares quite a bit of blame..how is he supposed to get better on gameday at areas of focus when hes basically set up to fail?

16. NCJetsfan

Seriously? I did no such thing. You're adding 3 + 3 and getting 8. It doesn't even begin to prove that he won't take a QB high. Your reasoning is a fail. What it proved is that he's not going to trade up for a QB, so that means he will take one where one falls to him, or he may trade down a little and take one. That's means that he's almost certain to take a QB in this draft, since in the future he'd almost certainly have to trade up to get a QB.

17. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

18. NCJetsfan

I would hope that Sam wouldn't have refused to do it, but I have seen a lot of people refuse to make fundamentals/technique changes because the new thing I or others were trying to teach them didn't feel comfortable or confident at first, and it was just too scary for them. I even heard people say that they would give up rather than make changes. It's not as uncommon as you think.

19. TonyFtLaud

I'm sure all 3 were told by their respective coaching staffs what they needed to work on in the off season. However they do so on their own. With a private coach. The teams can not coach them in the off season and there was no pre season.

SOJAZ and FJF like this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Are they always wrong?