Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Jun 7, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

After reading this:

http://turnonthejets.com/2019/06/why-the-new-york-jets-may-have-finally-got-it-right/

I got the clear feeling that Gase WAS behind both the firing of Macc and the hiring of Joe Douglas, and I'm fine with that. For those who want to call Gase an out of control egomaniac, I say that's a good thing. Why? Because he knows this is likely his last chance as a HC and he NEEDS to win. The fact that he recognized once he got here and saw how Macc worked that winning wasn't likely, he did what he needed to do to change that. And he found a guy who could help him become a winner. In the end, if this works. no one will give a damn; if it doesn't, it's real clear where the blame lies.

2. ColoradoContrails

Analytics are useful, but they're not the be-all, end-all. You mentioned the Yankees who have relied heavily on them, but last year they decided to have their hitters change their swings to hit more fly balls to defeat the shifts, and presumably to increase RBIs, but what it ended up doing was making their strike outs rise and their batting averages drop, and left them vulnerable in games against top pitching - i.e. playoffs. Joe Girardi was a big user of analytics, but it cost him a lot of games because he stuck rigidly to his "book".

As I said, there is a lot of value in having numbers, but if you don't have an innate feel for the game those numbers won't overcome that.

3. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

If we don’t hire Gase we don’t get any of these outcomes. He deserves a ton of credit for putting his boot on Macs neck and having a connection with a candidate like Douglas.

In his short stint as coach Gase is making his mark. I don’t know if it will work, but at least someone is taking a shot to try to get us out of mediocrity and despair.

As a fan I truly appreciate what he has done

4. ColoradoContrails

I was not a fan of hiring Gase in the beginning but I agree with your assessment as I posted a similar thought above. And I don't think Douglas will simply be a "Yes Man" to Gase, I believe he's strong in his own right and will push back as needed against Gase. This is the best I've felt about the Jets in decades.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The Jets have a fifty year history of taking "dips."

6. Ralebird

Don't get on a 747.

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I want want my coach to have passion, vision and intelligence.
    I want my coach to believe he knows the way.
    I want my coach to have zero patience for what he sees as ineptitude.

Gase might turn out to be fatally flawed, but until I see it with my own two eyes, I'm climbing the hill behind him. Fuck or die. Let's get it.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Three things. First, I agree analytics aren't perfect. Second, the Yankees realized that plan didn't work and are much more of a contact hitting team this year. Which is how analytics is supposed to work. It's like doing science: if your theory is wrong, it will show up in the numbers, and then you change things. Finally, compare the Yankees problems to those of the teams that aren't using analytics. They don't have to worry about games against top pitching because they don't contend.

9. ColoradoContrails

This is a key difference between what I saw in Rex and Bowles and how Gase seems to be.I'm not saying Gase is Lombardi, but that's how V.L. was - including benching his star players if he thought they needed it. I believe discipline is the glue of championships,,,it fills in the gaps in the inevitable mistakes that happen, but if everyone is pulling in the same direction, and believes in each other, and that everyone is treated fairly, that makes the difference. With the Jets for too long we've seen players playing for themselves and no accountability. I really hope Gase changes that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

All fair points, but that underscores my original point: you have to be able to interpret the data correctly and adjust, To do that you need to understand the game beyond the level of raw statistics.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

More on the McShay front:

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Wikipedia has some work to do lol.

[​IMG]

13. Kris 15

Oh man. Instead of creating a new wiki page, they just hijacked the page of some other dude named Joe Douglas.

Other Joe is cancelled.

abyzmul and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. Ralebird

Some here may not care but I find it extremely lame and unprofessional that the Jets have still not seen fit to send out a press release or post anything on their own website other than the same eleven word tweet from last night. It shouldn't take a whole lot longer to prepare a couple hundred words and do it the right way by releasing that at the same time as the tweet.

When companies have bad financial reports to release they do it on a Friday night, the same is true with government when they must send out embarrassing information.

When there's good news to be had, you get a bigger splash with more information. I expect a brief bio, statement from ownership and a look to the future. Obviously, whoever was in charge of the uniform release show was in charge of PR last night too. It's almost embarrassing.

Kris 15 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good, now block Mehta from Jets facilities, Joe! Tell the Daily Schnooze that if they want to have a beatwriter to cover the Jets, they'll have to hire someone else, that Mehta will no longer be allowed anywhere near the Jets.

16. Kris 15

Agreed. The Eagles have even already put out a comment from Howie Roseman thanking Douglas for his work there. Our PR department leaves a lot to be desired.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

geez...I thought you'd be stoked that Gase wasn't the GM any longer.

You didn't like how Maccagnan was fired...and now you don't like how Douglas was hired.

There's just no pleasing you.

ColoradoContrails, FJF and Red Menace like this.
  18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Now this is VERY interesting.

I think Mayock-Oakland will work so I think this could work too. These guys clearly have a passion and knowledge about what they do.

I'm in favor of it 100%.

The only question I have is why Mel Kiper THE godfather of the draft analyst business is not under consideration for a NFL front office job?

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah.

A dynamite PR department is key to winning football.

PabloJa, Jets81, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

If Douglas didn't really want to be here he would have withdrew his name as soon as the jets low balled him. But I believe he wanted to be here. If he didn't want the jets job he could have waited a year and he would have been the most sought after GM on the market.