Jets Have Said They Wanna Bring Back Braylon Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Feb 29, 2012.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Braylon isn't old, w/ him , Holmes and kerley we have our top 3 set for years to come. Add in keller at TE and Sanchez has a nice receiving corps. Braylon gives us size, a deep threat and someone mark is extremely comfortable with.

2. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Peyton Manning didn't play last year either, making him unproductive. Edwards situation was similar. He was injured through out the year, and had Alex Smith throwing him the ball in a run heavy offense that sucked. You can't judge him based on that.

Also, "younger and more explosive" players grow on trees and come cap free.

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

You forgot Turner. Not much contribution yet, but he def has potential. Too bad he can't convert to TE.

4. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Stop gap with high end potential. If the contract was structured right this would be a really solid move.

5. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I would love to see this happen, it's a no-brainer. Braylon knows the team, has chemistry with Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan, and he'd be cheap!

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, as far as that goes, yes. But...

Having filled the need at #2 wr that a signing of Edwards would accomplish, the need to address more long term needs at wideout has to fall below the need to address other problems, more immediate problems.

Putting cap concerns aside for the moment, let's just say the Jets are able to sign Edwards, and also get Pouha and R Turner back as well. I still think it will be indicated to sign in FA an RT and a safety.

Even if those five moves are made in FA, the Jets will then have to turn to the draft, with some thought no doubt about taking into account a BPA strategy, to fill the following needs:

OLB to replace Thomas
    punter
    second safety
    OLB to groom to replace Pace next year
    OG to groom for eventual Moore replacement
    TE

And to be frank it will be very difficult to make all those FA moves, since there are other moves that might be desirable to make in FA, such as:

Backup Qb - do the Jets really want to rely on McElroy for that?
    RB - having McKnight and Powell, two young guys, already on the roster argues against using a mid to lower round pick on RB this draft. In fact there is much talk that the Jets might even go first day pick at RB.

Given all that, if Edwards is in fact signed, what move should be foregone among the foregoing to fit in a wideout draft pick in the upper or even middle rounds?

In short I think those considerations DO add up to things that should prevent the Jets from using a significant draft pick to add to the wideout corps if Edwards has also been signed.

A corps of Holmes, Edwards, Kerley and P Turner sounds acceptable to me. Kerley and Turner are still young, with much upside. I don't see a crying need to add a third person who is largely similar to those two, and yes I am optimistic particularly about Kerley.

7. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

We have lacked continuity at the WR since day one. This is a no brainier.

8. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]VzpiZ8vOb7w[/YOUTUBE]

Sign me up!

What happened to this Mark Sanchez? Reading more than 1 receiver, double pumping, stepping up in the pocket and delivering an absolute laser.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

With the way TE's are being used in the NFL Turner can play the TE 'role' (i.e. U receiver set at the wing).

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

This was Braylons best catch for us. I hope we can patch this up.

11. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

Holmes / Edwards / Kerley

I'm good with that.

12. Harrier Manc-Jet

Where is Braylon4ever bet he is wankin himself to death over this confirmed news, shows he must of known something was on the cards.

All for bringing him back anything is an upgrade on plax between the 20's and a deep threat. Get cotch back now and we are the jets of old.

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

In 2010 oOn Deep balls on 2010 Edwards was able to fight for under thrown balls and he prevented 5+ INTS on poorly thrown passes. Compare that to 2011. In 2011 it was quite rare to see Sanchez throw a deep ball within 10 yards of his receiver. Almost all overthrown. Without Edwards here to prevent INTS on passes thrown short Sanchez may have been afraid to throw deep balls close to his WR.

Having a deep threat is what was missing from last year's offense. Edwards blocking is also a big plus. Without Edwards we do not win either playoff game in 2010. The best thing about Edwards is he gives efforts. I doubt we will get the 2010 Edwards but if we can get something close and a deep threat that is a nice addition. But I would not put all my eggs in one basket and still look for a WR draft pick.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as Edwards calls a cab or hires a driver when he's out getting his drink on, I'm good with bringing him back. The last thing this organization needs is more embarrasment.

15. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Second best news of the off season!

Love the way Braylon plays. Outstanding blocker and all around tough, physical player. I remember seeing a clip on SNY of Braylon hitting the heavy bag. He's not a pussy and hopefully he is no longer a head case (off the field).

Bring back the beard!!

16. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I would gladly drive him around. Someone needs to get Braylon a PBA card.

All seriousness I hope he has grown up a little since he left.

17. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Those type of "WOW" plays didn't happen last season. Braylon definitely added an excitement to the offense that was missing in 2011. I'm rooting for him to come back if they can make it happen. Holmes/Bray/Kerley would be exciting to see.

I'm still not sold on Turner. He showed a little bit more promise last season but the fact is that he has 10 career receptions in 3 seasons. With the way our WRs have been flipped around I would think he could've gotten on the field a bit more than he did if he has as much upside as people seem to think. Not hating, I hope he continues to improve, I just don't think he's done anything to warrant being excited about. I'd prefer having someone a little more dangerous as a #4 and I'm hoping they can get a good prospect somewhere in the 3rd-5th round of the draft who can challenge for the spot.

18. Drew

Drew Active Member

To me this has been a certainty ever since he was cut from SF.

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Makes perfect sense. I wanted to keep him last year but the price was too high, I guess. Some Giant fans/Jersey Shore rejects last summer were telling me how much better Plaxico would be but I didn't buy it.

Think of some of the biggest plays of our first two Rex/Sanchez years, they were Braylon.

•The TD bomb at Indy in the AFC Championship Game
    •The long sideline catch to set up Santonio's TD in the Houston game
    •The back-shoulder catch to set up Folk's winning FG at Indy in the Wild Card Game
    •Dragging Patriot defenders into the end zone before the half in the playoffs at Foxboro.

Sign this beast.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We're not going to fill all our needs this offseason. The best we can do IMO is to fill holes with serviceable guys and draft BPA. Drafting for need to fill holes eventually creates other holes and weaknesses. It's not like we'd have a Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson receiver on this team.

Now if it's between two guys graded about the same, obviously the easy tie breaker becomes need. I have no problem with that.

It's difficult to start taking that approach when you have so many needs, but I believe that if you stick to that approach year in and year out you'll eventually end up with the most talent at each position.

I also don't think Edwards, if signed, should be considered a long term answer given his age and behavior.