Jets have 2nd toughest schedule in 2020

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Feb 7, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This thread is mind boggling. Clearly has nothing to do with the schedule and more to do with your lack of confidence in the Jets. The schedule isn't easy, but in no way should you give up before it even starts. Many factors go into a season too, such as Free Agency, NFL Draft, Injuries, etc. No doubt the Jets are traveling more in 2020, and playing a much tougher NFC West than NFC East, but that is okay. 6 AFC East games as always. Playing all 4 Super Bowl teams from the last 2 seasons and 1 of them twice is definitely a challenge, but it should be welcomed. The question is Can they go (6-2) at home and then (4-4) on the road? I think it is possible. (5-3) at home and (3-5) on the road would still be (8-8). Could be realistic.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This whole evaluation of hard schedule versus easy schedule is an effort in futility. Every year teams that were very good fall flat on their ass and bottom dwellers have a great season. Key Injuries, mental errors,penalties, bad execution and poor game planning on any given Sunday, all play a huge role in who remains strong and who doesn’t.
    Quite frankly schedule strength is an overused excuse that good teams don’t have. Last year we imploded with injuries the first half of the season. Who the hell knows what this year will bring. You got to beat the team that is in front of you.
    We overused the BS excuse last year that the second half of the season was easy, but the first half was a true test, blah, blah, blah. So people deem our 2020 schedule a killer now, many of the same people when the game is played will be the first to come up with excuses if we win.. the opposition didn’t have so and so, too many injuries, lucky you name it.
    Gase must be judged by win and losses, period, fuck the strength of schedule. The better we become, the easier the schedule.
    I expect a competitive winning season, nothing else.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Strength of schedule is a real thing, like it or not. Of course it doesn't change the fact that you have to line up and play who's in front of you each week. And any given team can go from being "strong" to "weak" in even less than a season with injuries, and other factors, so you can't project ahead and predict how your team will do. If you could you could make a fortune on betting.

But just look at last season. The first half was against "strong" teams, and as expected, the Jets didn't do well. Even accounting for injuries, they weren't even competitive really. The second, against "weak" teams, they did much better. Yes, there were other factors, as there always will be, but the strength of the opposing teams was a consistent factor in the outcomes.

At this point we still don't know the final makeup of the team, let alone the teams we're scheduled to play, so to predict any outcome with any degree of certainty is impossible. But, on paper, the schedule looks MUCH tougher, and while a few teams may drop off - N.E. might well with Brady gone - it still leaves a pretty tough slate.

All that said, the Jets will be judged on how they do, regardless of who they play...wins and losses are the only measurement, and that's how Gase will be judged, or should be. No excuses based on injuries or strength of schedule, or anything else, W or L, bottom line.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I dont know what to expect from this group...The offense needs more weapons for Darnold...We Currently have the worst group of WRs and CBs when comparing 31 other teams.Not to mention other positions.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

And 8-8 is an absolutely nothing season, bang average, leading us to mediocrity again.

If we had tanked properly and with the right staff on board we could have been coming out of a 2 or 3 seasons of shit 0/1-16 seasons with multiple draft picks and a guy that looks like he knows what he is doing with them.

Then we could be the new 49ers/KC etc going from shite to good in very short order but no we need to win 8 pointless games to get us absolutely nowhere near a Superbowl to appease some fans that like to see short term wins over a plan to turn this shitshow around for good.

Not really a go at you TDK but I have found it very frustrating these last few years, we need a long term sustainable plan and a man that can deliver it, hopefully, JD can be that man but I am not convinced Gase can but hopefully I am wrong.

We should have won three more games last year than we did, Bills, Dolphins and Bengals and where would that have left this franchise for the future with a 1st round pick down in the 20's and holes so big you could drive a Sherman tank through them sideways.

I cheer them on for victory on a Sunday during games as it is hard not to do so but if we lose then I look at it as another step down the road towards a better future, of course, I have been saying this for a long time now but we can't even get a tank and rebuild done correctly and definitely not quickly lol

7. championjets69

Yes but we have super coach Gase as our HC :mad:

Yankjetfan likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

When you have your franchise QB headed into Year 3, I don't think tanking is an option. I would much rather go (8-8) and build on it for 2021 if that is what happens in 2020. You can do that, but it would ruin Sam and I don't think that is a wise option. You brought up winning 3 more games in 2019, that would have made them (10-6). So I am not sure how people can assume the Jets would be terrible in 2020. The Jets have already had their tank/bad seasons. 2016-2018. They were terrible. Maccagnan wasted it by not building properly during the process. Now it is time to start winning. Even if that means being mediocre for a year or two.

Also, the Chiefs have been good since Andy Reid got there. They were a good team with Alex Smith, then Patrick Mahomes got them over the hump. And the 49ers were filled with injuries in 2018, that is why they went (4-12). They would have been better if key players like Jimmy G were healthy. Still, no doubt it is impressive John Lynch turned that team around in about 3 years.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is too late to tank now, we should have made a better job of it the last three years instead of winning 5-11 x 2 and 4-12 but last season at 7-9 was woeful and like we said should have been 10-6, that is how easy those games were, as really bar a couple of games were shit really, the D helped us win games for sure last season, we can assume we are going to be shit again this season as the schedule looks way tougher than last year, hopefully, we can shock people but we need a hell of a draft from JD for that to materialise imo

I just used those teams as a quick example I am sure there have been better examples to use but I was ranting and no time for research :D

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. Waiting Since 68

Waiting Since 68 New Member

IMO The main reason is that the Jets play NFC West this year. Last year they played the NFC East which was very weak. Their AFC games this year substitute the AFC West for the AFC North. Pretty much a wash I think. Cleveland again this year. I think the Colts are bit tougher than the Jags.

11. championjets69

Im shocked that there are so called fans that are totally unaware like Martin did not how the schedule is made for every year :mad:

12. championjets69

Also with the Bills moving over 500 to a PO team also made the AFCE stronger & more Cleve wins made them also tougher which is factored into this years schedule. No Cinncy also toughen up the schedule :mad:

13. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Truthfully, I can see us finishing 3rd or 4th in the East and having like 5 wins.

I'm not excited at all for this season.
    It may just be the quarantine talking, but I'm not optimistic AT ALL

Cman68 likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We have a mediocre at best OL (which is an upgrade, yes), a patchwork secondary, no pass rush, a clueless head coach and will add maybe one more weapon to the offense while playing against the best division in football IMO. I think 5 wins is pretty accurate. I’m not excited for the season because I think we’re going to be a good team I’m just excited because I’m conditioned to be. I can’t help it.

MexicanJet likes this.
  15. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

16. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I'm usually that way, but Gase has me so pissed that I really just don't care at the moment. This is going to be a wasted season, anyway. We're going to continue stunting Sam's growth, thus most likely ruining him, ala Tannehill. Our defense is meh. ZERO pass rush. ZERO. You can't win without that. The OL is still going to suck.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

It's not that tough anymore,w especially with N.E losing Brady and 4 starters on their D.

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .The Jets went 3-1 vs. the NFC East last year. . And, the "3-1" Jets lost twice to a pair of 0-7 teams.

. . They're playing the NFC West (49'ers, Seahawks, Rams) this year.

. ..This team isn't doing squat until at the very least 2021.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The issue isn't so much that this year's schedule looks hard. It's that we went 7-9 last year with the easiest schedule I've ever seen any team have. Not only was it the easiest in the NFL by opposing win percentage, but we had West Coast teams coming here, we barely had to travel anywhere, and Week 17 was against backups. We aren't a 7-9 team heading into a tough schedule, we're a 4-12 team heading into a tough schedule.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I never get too worked up about the season’s opponents this time of year. Injuries play such a major role in the league, plus guys have meteoric rises or declines all the time. If I told you before last season that I got a call from the future and that the Jets go 7-9, who would you have said they got wins from? Probably not the Cowboys, probably not the Steelers. How many people looked at the Browns and said they would be a powerhouse? Who expected the Ravens to be the best team in the league?

There are hundreds of factors per game.