Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Feb 28, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Some of you guys actually think any GM worth a shit is taking the words of Woody Johnson into his decision making process?

Ralebird likes this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Hey, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain and debate respectfully. I completely see your perspective and understand where you’re coming from. I’m still not sure I agree, when I take the spreadsheet from the link you provided and change the scenario from “cut” to “trade”, it clearly moves half his Cap hit under 2025 Dead money and reduces the 2024 hit by half. I don’t know how to post screenshots to show what I mean unfortunately.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Where do you see 2025 dead money? I see this under Dead Money & Cap Savings:
    $5,731,033
    $5,453,274

So dead money $5,731,033. Cap Savings $5,453,274.

CAP savings comes from the fact that this system assumes tradee takes on Zach's salary. It does not have nuance of allocating % of it we will eat, % they will eat, etc... That info is not even known. It's assumes straight up trade, like pretty much 99.9% of all trades.

Where do you see additional Dead money for 2025 on top of $5,731,033 this year in case of trade?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

There you go, I’m an idiot. I’m sorry to put you through all this, I was misunderstanding cap savings as Dead money under 2025. I’m sorry to drag you back and forth and really do appreciate you taking the time to help. I’m proud to say I know a good deal about football, but the cap has always confused me. Thanks again, brother.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Any good GM will make his decision based on facts and only facts, not words from an owner who knows shit about the game. Having said that, facts includes not just Zach performance on the field, but also the effects of having been subjected to one of the worst CS and completely void of proper development recognizing his glaring weaknesses going in. Add worst game plan in the league, not to mention an OL that couldn’t get out of their own way. The problem is that this idiotic franchise is so transparent in showing his cards, leaving them with zero leverage at each and every turn. Get ready for them to fuck up the next QB, no matter the name.

#145 LAJet, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Every single GM that talks to Zach's agent and Joe Douglas about Zach will mention Woody Johnson's comments in order to get a negotiating edge, or they are not doing their jobs. Whether or not those words carry any weight is another story, but it would be interesting to hear Joe Douglas have to justify Woody's words without coming right out and saying the owner is a drunken buffoon.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's a pleasure to have a respectful conversation with you, in spite of difference of opinion, thank you as well!

NY Jets68, NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

To determine what he is worth to you - no. To determine what you think you can get him for - of course! I will give you our latest QB trade as an example. GB does not have an owner, so it is all on Gutekunst, but Gute kept saying how Rodgers is a premier player and that he requires premier assets. Do you really think he valued Rodgers so high that he had to have this pack swap to do the deal, which cost us Broderick Jones and likely Huff? With 110 mil guaranteed to Rodgers and 60 mil check due in Sept? Hell no. He would have given him up without it. Yet he negotiated it out of JD because he could.

So, it is not just about how much you value the guy, it is also what is the best deal you can negotiate. And when his owner, the opposing side, says the guy is worthless, while you value him say as a 5th rounder, you probably think you can get him for 6th or 7th and proceed accordingly.

9. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This is the point that everyone is missing. If I'm a GM talking to the Jets, the first words out of my mouth are "Your own owner says he's trash; you want me to pick up his contract? You're gonna need to come to the table with more than that."

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He had two years with LaFleur as the starter and one year as the backup tossed into the fire with Hackett. Let’s not forget that whilst complaining about his situation. Wilson shot himself in the foot enough in his first two years for it to be his fault more than the coordinators fault.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont think hes even getting those interest calls.

Douglas should just cut Wilson. He's holding out for a miracle 5th round pick now? Come on, everybody is respectfully cutting bait with their failures ahead of the free agency period.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And it is not just saying it, it is knowing that the Jets will get rid of him for next to nothing regardless, because Woody won't have him anymore.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To me the first two years were a clear indicator of his shortcomings. If the leadership was willing to embark on a development program for a year, then make it so, but you certainly don’t anoint him the back up with no other option. That was the Achilles heal of this whole premise. There was no back up option and Hackett had no plan.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In the first two years yes, but do you really think majority of NFL back-ups would be able to do better than Zach last year? Siemian for instance did much worse. Granted he is a bottom half back-up, but still he wasn't awful before, and Zach has outperformed him significantly per passer rating.

mrjet80, AtlantaJet and LAJet like this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yes, of course. I probably shouldve worded my post differently. A GM would be a total idiot to NOT use Woody's mouth to his advantage (if he actually valued Zach), but my point was that no one worth their salt would ever take Woody's take into their own personal evaluation.... I may be wrong but I don't think the trade value is there, while I do think he'll be scooped up as a free agent...

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So, the Zach Wilson camp has been out pounding the pavement for at least a week and a half now lining up teams to bid for his services and all of a sudden there's radio silence in the NFL! The Wilson auction may be getting as hot and heavy as somebody peddling a 1955 Mercedes Gullwing but nary a whisper is emerging as yet - stay tuned!

SackRecord99 likes this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well we all have our opinions on why Zach failed here…him, the coaches, the OL, the receivers, etc.

But we will soon see what the NFL as a whole thinks in the offers we get or don’t get

I haven’t heard squat about any team being interested…not sure if trades have to wait for the new year so that may be part of it, but we’ll soon see

tomdeb and JetFanInPA like this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Love the 300SL mention... :p

19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets just want to cut bait with all the BS and nonsense surrounding Zach - especially off the field. A lot of that BS starting with the Jets themselves and how they handled Zach from Day 1. He was not ready to start. Not even close. In a perfect world he should of been in the bench year one. (Actually in a perfect world the Jets should have traded the pick for a bounty and given Darnold a year under the new staff but that’s a story for another day) Secondly, Zach Should not have had a rookie coordinator ….Third, the OL was not up to standards especially for a rookie QB.

Was Wilson worth the #2 pick in hindsight? Absolutely not. However despite all the BS, maturity level, lack of surrounding talent, etc Zach has grown a lot. His attitude noticeably changed for the positive and his stats, huddle command and whereabouts, etc. improved. Is he a solid yearlong NFL starter at this point with better protection and talent? Probably not. But he can definitely be a solid back up/ spot starter for a game or two. That’s where he is at this point thanks to the Jets constant mishandling of QBs.

I think a trade is best for both sides and I think Zach can get another contract as a decent back up in a city without the constant media attention and a more solid organization….

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good to see you posting. Haven't seen you here in a while.

mrjet80 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.