Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Feb 28, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

2. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

That’s what we said about the last GM and he was by far worse and JD had a lot of time but a lot of digging to do. That team on paper was absolutely horrendous. This is the last shot JD is gonna have I hope he doesnt fuxk it up

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I said that because it looks like by trading him his total cap cost does split half in 2024 and half in 2025. So, if that actually is the case, my thinking was trade him and even pay most of his salary if it means we can reduce his 2024 cap hit to half and defer the other half to 2025. It’s just an absolutely dreadful situation to be counting 11.4m against the cap for a guy that can’t play.

4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we give Zach permission to seek a trade and no one wants him is there any way he could be convinced to take a pay cut to stick around and learn from Rodgers.

Having him as QB3 on a discount might not be the end of the world if we do bring in a solid number two QB.

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

No, why would he? He already declared he doesn’t want to be here, why in the world would he suddenly take a pay cut to stay? He gets his full 5.5m if we cut him.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Amen, it's just embarrassing at this point. The Jets are wasting a year when we know the outcome here already. Insulting to fans to run it back with Hackett/Douglas/Saleh. Have some self respect

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Zach and Mike LeFleur... clearly a match made in heaven....

9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Which is why I think this story is total BS.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I doubt it. No one takes a discount on their rookie contract unless they sign an extension that lowers their cap hit in the short term. No way he’d want to help us out after we didn’t pickup his 5th year option and sent him to seek a trade.

I believe they’ll cut him before entertaining him on the roster in any capacity.

stinkyB likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Utter nonsense. If either way we eat his salary then you just release a player, you sure as hell don't give them a better pick to boot.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wish Zach the best. Lets see what a good CS can do for him

NCJetsfan, cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I completely agree, I was addressing someone saying we’d get. 3rd round pick for Zach and a 4th. There’s no way that’s happening.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To your point, why would he give a discount to stay with this dysfunctional organization that did him no favors and play for arguably the worst OC in the entire league. His bags are already packed and rightfully so.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I wish someone would do me a no-favor that totaled 22 Million dollars over four years.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

At least Zack has enough money that he never has to work again.

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe the Jets will agree to eat part of his salary.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

By trading him and having new team pay this year's salary the CAP will not be split for us. It will be reduced from 11.2, to 5.7. The remaining 5.5 mil, which will be paid for by the trading team, and will count against them. Which is why you see CAP savings by 5.5 mil. It is not savings due to split. It is savings due to funds transfer of these 5.5 to the trading team. If that transfer does not occur and we eat these 5.5 mil (or whatever we eat) will count against our CAP this year.

For example, say SF gives us a 6th but says we have to eat 3 mil out of 5.5. Then our CAP hit for Zach will be 8.5 this season (5.7+3), and theirs 2.5. You get the picture.

There is one other quirk. Do you remember the delay in signing Zach's rookie deal, when he was late to training? That was because we wanted a clause where if we waive him and someone else signs him, whatever he gets from new team will not be paid by us. What that means is that if he is waived, and someone signs him, whoever signs him will definitely be for a vet minimum (say about 1 mil) and that 1 mil will be deducted from 11.2 CAP #. So, we waive him, SF signs him and pays for the whole year, our CAP would be 10.2 instead of 11.2.

To make a long story short, we need someone to take all or majority of his salary or we will take a big hit. I think someone will after main back-ups come off the board. But waiving him or trading and eating entire salary now is not a good option IMO.

Then whatever we agree to eat will be added to 5.7, and the total will be the CAP hit this year.

#138 Borat, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah but he had that before he came here

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Why can't both be true? Zach's play definitely has him valued very little. But his owner, who is now shopping him, saying he is not even a back-up, further lowers what little market value he already had. Btw, I do agree 1st two years were crap, but I don't think last year for a back-up was terrible, given no line and no OC. Other teams may see it similarly, we just need to wait a bit. I don't think Zach is on the roster next year, but I do think someone will eat most if not all his salary and give something back even in spite of Woody's comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.