Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Feb 28, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

This is what people can’t understand. Of course Douglas is letting him explore his trade options. The market is going to show him he has no trade value. We’d actually have to pay in money and/or picks to unload him. He’s gonna be a June 1st cut, good riddance.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

But if true, why not just keep him as a 3d string? It just seems dumb to drop him and then pay extra for Siemian type 3d stringer. The money is already guaranteed anyway. Cutting him just makes no sense to me. Sign someone like Wentz and that's it. That's what should have been done last year.

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Because he doesn’t want to be here. He quit on the team and then decided that he’d play if we guaranteed that we traded him this year. Thats why no one wants him. That’s why the rumors are we’d have to give up picks or money to trade him. The only chance he’s gonna get is on a min type deal where he has to prove himself.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This makes no sense. We need to do what's best for us. He did play and got concussed. Sure he prefers a trade, but the Jets were nice enough to allow this option to be explored early. Assuming these exploration failed (and this is still a rumor at this point), he does not get to get paid not to work. It will save us money to keep him as a 3d stringer vs cutting him and getting another 3d stringer. I still think someone will trade for him, but if not, it's a no brainer to just keep him as a 3d stringer vs paying him to be off the team AND paying some other likely inferior 3d stringer.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. SackRecord99

SackRecord99 Member

yes this was my concern - like it logically makes sense just to keep him as third string (just in case) rather than take the cap hit it will require to cut him. i was worried that after the charade of trying to trade him provided clear indication he has literally no value, we may actually consider just keeping him on the roster. Thankfully with the increase in cap as well as just the obvious recognition that he is a toxic bust and distraction, the front office is finally read to make the decision and move on.

could you imagine if we had him on the roster again next year. we gave him most precious commodity you could have - game experience - no one has been that bad for that long - and by end of tenure he wasnt even willing to accept play. colossal BUST.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What's the concern though? You think JD will get us a better 3d stringer that will make a massive difference over Zach being that?

7. Jaybranch23

Jaybranch23 Active Member

Guys - the third stringer this year will be a rookie QB. They just want him gone (as do I)

SackRecord99 and JetFanInPA like this.
  8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

And there's no way he wants to be back either. I think it's a mutual parting of ways that's the best for both parties. Regardless of the terms or cap ramifications, they need to go separate ways

9. SackRecord99

SackRecord99 Member

The concern is that he plays for us again. I can't mentally handle it.

Borat likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

cval likes this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's really simple.

We know what he brings to the table. It's not good. It's not competent.

Insanity would be to keep someone when you already know the outcome of that story. Again, It aint good. Time to move on for everyone's sake.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The "concept" may be obvious - to you; what apparently is not obvious to you is that the reality may differ. Football professionals do not need the input of Johnson to evaluate the worth of Wilson; they have already determined his value based on his performance. If I tell you the Yugo parked in my yard is a piece of crap, have you learned anything you didn't already know, especially if you're an automotive engineer with decades of experience in the auto industry? Would my words cause you to pay a dime more, or less for it?

#92 Ralebird, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    SackRecord99 likes this.
  13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He played because he essentially got called out for it in the media. The “no-brainer” that should have taken place was to immediately deactivate him and notify the league at the moment he said he wouldn’t play for us unless we agreed to trade him end of season. Instead we tried yet again to preserve his feelings and save face for him and the franchise.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I learned that you think your car is a piece of crap, so if you are selling it to me, I will not offer you much of anything, even if I believe it actually has more value than you think. You will give it to me for nothing anyway, since you own that car. Which is why owners of assets don't usually disparage them while trying to sell them. And yes, it is obvious, but apparently your "reality" is different. I will let others decide for themselves which one of us lacks common sense on this one.

Maybe the root of the disagreement here is that you think Zach is completely worthless, so it does not even matter what the owner says about him, since you can't drive down already non existing value. That's just not how I see it after watching last season.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's not that good of an analogy because in the car buying world people dont know each other. Also, a car's performance is not filmed and on national TV every week.

The NFL world is small, everyone knows Woody Johnson is a blabbermouth douche. Zach Wilson has plenty of film they can watch every snap of his career if they want. I dont think Woody's words hurt Zach Wilson's trade value. Wilson's shitty play hurts his trade value

Ralebird and NJJets like this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to be a rocketship pilot.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I just can’t understand how people don’t see this- the backup QB’s job is to come in and maintain order, hold down the fort, know what they’re doing, and do their best to not lose a game with stupidity. The best backups in the league get 5m a year or so. We’re talking guys that not only maintain order but might actually make plays themselves. Zach is the definition of disorderly when he’s on the field.

Now for the love of God please try looking at it from another team’s perspective. If Zach were a FA right now would you offer him 5.5m a year? Fucking of course not. So why would you expect a team to not only want to pay him that, but to trade assets to do so? And not only that, but trade assets and pay him 5.5m when he’s gonna walk the next season anyway? Who’s that stupid? Without the costs a team definitely will kick tires on Zach, but it will be for a minimum level deal where they can opt to cut him in camp if they feel they need to move on.

Then comes the idea that we should just keep him as our #3 QB since “he’s already here”. Ok, you wanna pay 11.4m for a practice squad QB? Again, for what? Are you nuts? He’s gone at the end of the season no matter what.

The only options are to pay another team to take him off our hands, or cut him post June 1st and split the 11.4m over 2 years to mitigate the damage a bit.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There is no savings you can get by doing this post June 1st or not. $11.4 # includes what we already saved from before vs what we paid. Only $5.5 is in play. We can't waive him and free 11.4 mil or 5.5 mil or anything at all. You waive him, the only benefit you get is you saved a roster spot which you can use for someone else, which is probably going to be another 3d string QB, for whom you actually going to pay extra. Which is why I said might as well keep him, it will cost less than waiving him AND paying another 3d stringer, who is even worse.

As far as whether there will be a team that eats 5.5 mil and gives us something for it... Did you expect Lance to go for 4th? Or Sam for 2nd and 4th? He is still 24 years old with a lot of arm talent and had some really good moments last year against KC and Houston. Teams may pay 5.5 mil to see what they can do with him. Let's see what happens, but I would not be releasing him, because like I said before it will end up costing us more while getting even worse player as a 3d string.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Ok, he costs us 11.4m against the cap this year. Yes, 5.9m of that has already been paid out, 5.5 being the actual salary costs this year. If we keep him this year the full 11.4m counts agains the cap this year. Thats obviously untenable. If we cut him right now the full 11.4 hits us this year. If we cut him post June 1st then half of that cost goes to the 2025 cap. Of course his signing bonus was already paid out on day one, that’s how signing bonuses work. But the cap implication of the signing bonus is spread throughout the contract, so again we’re on the hook for 11.4. If we trade him, the receiving team would be on the hook for his 5.5m salary and we would have his prorated SB as a dead money hit this year. That is of course if you find a team that wants to pay him 5.5m, which you won’t.

Yes I expected Lance to go for a 4th. He’s an unknown entity other than his college credentials. We don’t know that he sucks in the NFL because he hasn’t played yet. What DAL did was use a 4th rounder for a kid they probably had a 1st round value on previously. No, I didn’t expect a 2nd for Darnold. That said Darnold was on probably the least talented Jets offensive roster ever. Hell the guy’s best receiver was Quincy Enunwa and Robbie Anderson. There was a strong feeling throughout the league that Darnold was a good QB on a bad team. Darnold was known for being a great teammate and had great work ethic. Zach Wilson started for a team that was a concensus SB contender so long as the QB was competent. Zach showed his incompetence time and again, and then bookended his incompetence with a demand to not play here anymore unless we agreed to trade him at the end of the season. The league knows exactly what Zach is, which is why teams are interested only if we give draft picks or take on all or most of the 5.5m salary he’s due.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but a project QB in the draft, taken in the fourth round or later, would sit better as a third-stringer and wouldn't cost much at all (something like a million on the 2024 cap for a fourth-rounder, I think?). If we get down to our third-stringer, I would imagine the season is pretty much toast anyway, but I would prefer to see a rookie trotting out who MIGHT be competent, rather than see Zach back on the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.