Jets grant Zach Wilson permission to seek trade.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Feb 28, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I fully expect the Jets to varnish their illustrious franchise history by repeating the ass fumble there too.

#261 Zach, Mar 19, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    abyzmul likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He's not David Copperfield.

IDFjet and JetFanInPA like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Hold on there. I’m responding to a totally different topic where people are quoting a whole bunch of BS about how the release came about. It has fuck all to do with defending or supporting keeping Zach. Best way to move the F on is to stop talking shit about him and turn the page.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Well that would truly be a miracle seeing as trading him can only possibly save us 5.5. Part of that 11m (just about half) is his signing bonus prorated over the life of the contract. Thats dead money no matter what we do. We’re asking teams to take on his salary this year, which is roughly 5.5m. Problem is no team wants to pay him that salary at all, much less give us something in return for him.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Teams will wait until the Jets cut him and can get him for no compensation, which is why the best thing the Jets can do is hold onto him and keep him as QB#3 until some team needs a backup QB. In the meantime he's much better than any of the scrubs they could get as QB#3 despite what some here say about him.

BrooklynJetsFan, NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This sums it up pretty perfectly. Yes, there is almost 100% chance we will move on. But there is no rush to eat all of that money now. He is no longer a back-up, and a 3d stringer is a scrub anyway. Take emotion out of this - it's just wait and see now, there is nothing to lose.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

easy for you to say there is nothing to lose

Zach Wilson already lost his chance at a backup job, everyone hit free agency and was snatched up quick

Wait any longer and the Jets might have to give him a bunch of useless OTA/Mini camp snaps.

Can you imagine? They don’t want him, he don’t want to be here, but run Hackett’s plays please so we can see how these rookie UDFAs look lol

clown organization.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is what I mean - take emotion out of this. A 3d stringer is expected to be a scrub, who will get some snaps, and there is nothing wrong with it. Let's wait and see. Dumping him and eating the money can be done at any time. Alternatively there is a chance to get something later. Easy call if you are not emotional over Zach not succeeding in much bigger role here before.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

this is a non-emotional take. If they are bottom of the roster guys either way then you pick up the scrub 3rd stringer who actually wants to be here. Wilson wants out, so let him go..

Its not like his replacement will cost anything and a UDFA might actually be better, certainly more motivated.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The replacement will cost something, though I agree not much. But I think we went from overrating Zach to now underrating him. A UDFA scrub is better than him? I am not sure about that. I mean Zach did outplay Siemian by a wide margin last year, according to all stats. And Siemian usually ends up on a NFL roster every year. But I will agree that IF UDFA scrubs outplays him in practice, or even shows some good potential, then sure, release him. Just that there is no hurry to do it now, particularly when there is still a chance someone will trade for him after the draft or in training camp.

If we draft someone mid rounds, then I see your point too. But right now it would be an emotional decision that can potentially cause the team some CAP room/value. There is no need for that. Time will come, and maybe he will be waived. But right now is not that time. Let's at least see what we do in the draft first and if teams who miss out on mid round QBs would want him.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If Wilson has not given up on himself why have we seen absolutely nothing all winter about him finding a new personal coach or engaging in any kind of intense training, revolutionary or traditional?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

My comment was not directed to you so calm down... it was to all of us... just give it a rest. We all have discussed this guy with pages and pages of back and forth.... there are believers and none believers... at this point its a moot point. The team is moving on , we should too.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m calm. Agree completely.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Once the season comes the #3 QB does not get any reps with the offense until ARod or Tyrod gets injured. The #3 works exclusively with the scout team running each opponent’s offense using the cadence and formations of the opponent. The #3 QB’s job is to “emulate” the next opposing QB to get the defense ready.

What’s funny is the role is exactly what Zach needs because his biggest problem is understanding offensive philosophies, so maybe having to study and emulate multiple different ones actually helps him. But I don’t think he’s going to be willing to accept that role. Even if ARod or Tyrod go down, I think we’d be signing a Flacco type vet to be the QB before suiting up Zach.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Any takers atm for ZW?

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

There will not be a taker for ZW unless one of the following happens:

1- We pay a team in salary offset or compensate them with draft picks to take Zach.

2- We wait through TC and a team that suffered massive QB injuries decides to take a flyer on ZW. Still likely means we offset some of the salary, but maybe not as much by this point.

3- We cut him. This way a team can sign him for the vet minimum instead of being on the hook for a ridiculous 5.5m for him.

Personally I don’t feel ZW has trade value at all. Not when the receiving team has to take on that salary. If you were a fan of any other team and found out your team just took on 5.5m in salary for Zach you’d probably be breaking furniture. We definitely need to cut him, but it makes sense to wait until the last minute since we’re on the hook for his salary either way.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

A lot will depend how QBs perform in training camp/preseason. Assuming Zach is still with the team by then, a few good preseason games can drastically raise his value and he could get traded then. Similarly, a good training camp performance may result in Saleh keeping Zach as a 3d string as opposed to releasing him. Again, very unlikely he stays, but we just need to wait at this point.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

No team is going to give up assets to acquire a guy who is going to get released.

Wilson will get picked up, a lot of folks think the Rams make sense, but I think Baltimore, Arizona or Philly would be better fits for him.

19. BrowningNagle

the only things I’ve seen are stories of his vacations with his girlfriend

But I admittedly didn’t read them beyond the headlines cause I’m sick of that loser QB

#279 BrowningNagle, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    Jets-N-Terps and JetsNation06 like this.
  20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Did Joe Douglas create this thread? Otherwise it's beyond strange to talk about a failed, broken backup QB for 14 pages with zero asset value.

Time to move on, folks. Some of you just don't get it.

SOJAZ, NOVAJET and Jets-N-Terps like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.