Jets GM John Idzik said he's a Jet, Open Competition...about Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CowboysFan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

So your argument is based on what QB's do in the postseason? That makes NO sense. Not too many QB's especially the young guys were blessed with a top 5 defense, top 5 rushing attack and the best o line in the league. Maybe if we had Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Josh Freeman, etc in those years we'd probably be in one of those sb's.

Put Sanchez in Cam, Dalton, Freeman's place and those teams are probably worse.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Holy shit… are we still arguing about prowess of Mark Sanchez?!?!?!

Sanchez sucks because after 4 years in the leagues he still makes rookie mistakes!
    Bad OL, bad WRs, bad coaching, bad whatever else – none of this explains throwing into triple coverage or staring down the receiver. He is a bad QB because he doesn’t learn!

That said, Jets will likely have to suffer through another season of this public masturbation.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Postseason is part of it, if you suck in big games and in postseason I don't care what your #s are.

mark was blessed w/ that as a rookie though his #1 RB ran out of gas and was useless in postseason and his #1 D blew a double digit lead in the title game.

In 2010 we had a decent D and decent run game, we won 11 gams b/c our pass game led by Mark rescued us numerous times during that season.

Freeman put up great #s in 2010 when he wasn't in the race, in 2011 when they had expectations he was brutal. This year early he was great then when in the race he was brutal. Some guys can't play under playoff like pressure.

Guys like Rivers, Schaub, Romo and others have had MUCH more talent around them and can't win when it matters and none have ever had to deal w/ the healthy talent mark dealt w/ this season.

Mike Westhoff made these comments yesterday:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/westhoff_sanchez_not_lost_cause_biw0ry2ciwNKFtic1No4CM

people ignore this.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

No we know Sanchez didn't have talent around him, that doesn't make sense his footwork was still bad, his throws were inaccurate, he threw into triple coverage, stared at his receivers, and couldn't protect the ball. Those are on him. THe overall lack of offensive production can fall on lack of talent plus Sanchez not being to overcome it.

Also, what about 8-5 and needing wins to make the playoffs pressure? What about pressure in TEN this season? Pressure occurs outside the playoffs and Sanchez hasn't met those tests in the last two years. His postseason success doesn't help if he can't help us make the postseason.

5. nyjunc

the whole team stunk at 8-5 including mark. I throw out everything from this season b/c he had no help and all those bad habits came from not having help.

We saw w/ McElroy, he didn't have places to throw but took sacks while mark took chances and turned it over.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's the difference between being a 7th rounder in his second year and a 1st rounder in any year after his rookie season. If you want to hold the QB job you have to complete passes, score TD's and get wins. For the 1st rounder the expectations are higher and if they can't meet them for any reason the flameout burns much hotter.

If Sanchez was a 7th rounder and had put up the numbers he did we'd all still be pissed but it wouldn't carry the weight that it does with him as a 1st rounder we traded up for. We'd all be screaming at Mike Tannenbaum for not having found a better QB to play for the Jets. As it is most of us are screaming at Sanchez for not playing better. That's the difference in expectations.

7. displacedfan

I love this argument. "If we throw out when Mark did bad, he hasn't played bad"

So your absolving Sanchez for turning it over? There were numerous times where not turning it over would have gotten us 3 points or maybe even 7.

The thing is, we saw Mark overcome these difficulties in 2010. He played great down the stretch and complemented a good D and run game. Then he did this for some time in 2011 and it all went wrong. Then he started turning into the rookie QB, where the defense needed to pitch shutouts to win games. At that point, the lack offensive help isn't your biggest worry, it's that your QB needs the other team to score 10 or less for you to have a chance to win. At the same time, our QB was throwing points away and ahnding points to the other team. Sanchez has terrible habits right now, and that's on him. If he was a better QB he wouldn't have regressed into all his rookie mistakes this year. Lack of talent explains some things, it doesn't explain everything for Sanchez.

He needs to imrpove and hopefully this offensive system helps him. He just went backwards so badly we need to treat him like a 1st year QB in his 5th year

8. displacedfan

We also did scream at Tanny this offseason for getting a decent backup then trading him away and trading for Tebow. This offseason was not a good offseason for him especially in the QB department

9. nyjunc

of course expectations are higher but the point is we saw w/ both QBs that we didn't have talent for the QBs to throw to.

I don't worry about #s, I worry about wins. This was the first season he was under .500 as a starter and it had a lot to do w/ the healthy talent around him.

He had no chance this year. 3 average/good years vs. 1 bad year. I take the 3 average/good years.

Where did I say I was absolving him? he still deserves criticism but doesn't deserve to be thrown out, no QB could have succeeded w/ our healthy talent this year.

10. Br4d

True, but if Sanchez had been a 7th rounder with the performance issues he's had over his career it would have been inexcusable for Tannenbaum not to have gone and found a QB after the flameout at the end of 2011.

Because Sanchez was a 1st round pick the Jets doubled down on him and put all the expectations on him increasing his performance this year. That's the expectations game.

When Greg McElroy leaves the Jets nobody is going to hold it against him that he didn't turn into a good QB with us. There were no expectations that he would do so.

When Sanchez leaves there will be an audible sigh of relief from the fan base probably accompanied by many profanity-laced diatribes. He failed to meet high expectations.

This is why I think drafting a QB up high this year is an error. The only way you draft a QB up high is if Idzik, Mornhingweg and Lee all think he's going to be a star and if the latter two get at least a few seasons guaranteed to work with him. Even then the expectations will be so high that he'll come into a situation where failure is easy and success is set at a high bar.

I'd never have drafted Tannehill last year if I was the Fins. There were too many blinders in place with his college coach coming to town. The fans expectations were going to be hard to meet. The wise move would have been to let him go by on the 1st pick and if he happened to be there on the 2nd take it as a serendipitous sign and maybe tab him there.

11. displacedfan

You said this " I throw out everything from this season b/c he had no help and all those bad habits came from not having help." It sounds like you are absolving him from everything this year.

And his rookie and 4th year were below average QB play, his second year was above average to average and his 3rd year average to below average. He had maybe 1 good year, not coincidentally, the year when he had the least turnovers.

I never said throw him out, but it's hard to be confident in him. He has a long way to go and it sucks because it seemed like he was getting it but midway through his 3rd year, it went away. Then this year it went away badly for reasons in his control and outside of it.

As I have said before, the most worrisome thing is his confidence. Hopefully he gets that back, and I think it starts with the basics. Get his footwork down, get him stepping into his throws, I think it will fix his accuracy. Putting balls on receivers or in front of them can only help.

12. Br4d

He didn't have 3 average.good years vs 1 bad year. He had 2 below average years and 2 terrible years. The runs in the playoffs were great, it was great that he played at the top of his form at the end of the season when the games were most important. That said, Mark Sanchez has not had a single season in the NFL that you could call average. His high water mark was 2011 when he finished below 20th in the NFL as a passer.

13. nyjunc

he had a good year for a rookie, a very good 2nd year overall, ok 3rd year and brutal 4th year. obviously his worst season was most recent and everyone lives in the now and can't see beyond today.

He had a good season fora rookie in 2009
    he had a top 10 type season in 2010
    he was mid of the pack in 2011
    he was bottom of the barrel in 2012

It's not just about #s, he was a key to leading us to 11 wins in 2010, he had 4-5 comebacks through the air that led to wins when the supposed great D failed. His #s have never been great but it's about more than #s, if you want a QB that puts up great garbage time #s and doesn't win that's ok, that's your choice but I want to win and he's proven he can win big at this level.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

What are the expected averages for a QB in his 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th years respectively?

15. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

End of credibility.

16. nyjunc

actually that gives me credibility b/c I don't just look at stat sheets like you and 90% of other fans. Name me 10-12 QBs better than Mark in 2010?

17. nyjunc

Trent Dilfer on Mark in 2010:

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/11/08/trent-dilfer-is-really-bullish-on-mark-sanchez/

this going into 2011:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...aneers-josh-freeman-most-potential-qbs-age-27

this is interesting for all the Flacco vs. Sanchez stuff:
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...er0919_1_joe-flacco-trent-dilfer-elite-passer

18. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Forget stat sheets. Four of his 15 starts the team scored under 10 points. Throw out whatever numbers you want, that's something top 10 QB's just do not do.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That shouldn't be too hard haha.

Either way that was 2 years ago..even if he was the 20th best QB (more close to the truth) he's the 32nd or last, today. It's time to at least plan to move on from this failed experiment, and aim for better QB play than just mediocre at best.

20. nyjunc

Oh so that's what they don't do but what they do is play well in big spots and big games which mark did. Fake top QBs put up great #s and fail in big spots like Philip Rivers, Romo, Schub and those types.

Please name 10-12 better QBs in 2010?