Jets GM John Idzik said he's a Jet, Open Competition...about Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CowboysFan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Sanchez is an artist. To be the best at sucking you have to really try, but Mark makes it look effortless. However there will be no competition because Rex rules the roost , and Mark will start.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

To be honest, I think you are letting his recent performance cloud your vision of his original performance and I think people on the other side are doing the opposite.

He didn't suck in Cincy. He wasn't asked to do much except make simple throws off of PA or the run. He succeeded in this and we won with him. We really just needed someone not to turn it over and hit opne receivers, he did that. He wasn't key to the success but he played good in the role needed.

Against SD, he was eh. I wouldn't say he sucked, but he wasn't great. The defense shut down SD including the "REVIS DID WHAT?" play.

Against, Indy, first half was horrendous. Sanchez came together enough in the second half. Had a couple great passes, but cost us at the end of the 1st half. We didn't need much, and he came through the one time we needed him hooking up with Braylon. One of those he hurt us, but the rest of the team kept it close and when needed the most, came through just enough.

Against NE, his best playoff game. What the defense did to Brady was more impressive, BUT Sanchez played great. In a year where we were bottom of the league in RZ TD%, I believe we went 4/5 in the RZ for TDs. Another game though where Sanchez/offense started slow and the D kept it close. He threw very good passes in the RZ, no turnovers I believe. He was off all game until he threw that pass to Braylon's helmet in the 2nd quarter. It was a very good game from him but obviously the D shutting Brady with the new strategy was very impressive

Sanchez the beginning of his third year showed promise. The slight comparison to Eli was warranted since he was gunning, making big plays, but turning the ball over at a high rate. It was okay, because he was making big plays and pushing the team to a win instead of just helping them. Slight difference, but a better difference. THen somewhere down the road in the 3rd year, he started turning it over without making plays. He started looking skittish and he started hurting the team. The 4th year comes around, and he couldn't keep himself composed with the lack of talent. He kept on regressing from the end of his 3rd year, making rookie mistakes regalrdess of talent. To compound on top of that, we had a lack of talent which made the overall offense look worse.

To Sanchez was terrible his whole 4 years is misleading, to say he was great is also misleading. He played great at times, but the consistency was his key problem in 2010, his best year. If he finished his 3rd year much stronger, we could say that was his best year, but the ending was bad. That's when he started getting hidden at times offensively. Then this year he was hidden for games

3. displacedfan

Why do people believe this about Rex? We started McElroy last year. I don't get this line of thinking. Just because Sanchez was better than Tebow/McElroy doesn't mean he will be better than new QB A brought in for competition.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

@displaced fan

That's all true but his numbers after 4 years look more like Kyle Boller than like a competent QB. The primary difference between Sanchez and Boller through 4 years is that Boller was hurt often enough that the Ravens had to have other options on the roster. By the end of year 4 they were ready to move on and went and got Steve McNair to play QB for them.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i would avoid acknowledging tnjets rex shit.he finds away to mention it in every thread.
    blind hatred i guess

6. displacedfan

Oh I agree he doesn't look good at all right now or overall. But that doesn't mean he's sucked his whole career. We were able to win with him at some point. But just because we won with him at some point in his past, doesn't mean we can do that now. We should look for replacement, we should welcome competition. If you can't trade Sanchez, you have to have a backup plan. And that backup plan can't be "lets hope Sanchez develops dramatically"

Thanks for the update.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Again, great guy but typical chicken little fan

Archie manning didn't play in this era where every move is scrutinized, if we had Archie's production here we'd run him out of town in a year.

I answered it the last time you asked, it has more to do w/ surrounding him w/ talent. What has changed in the last 2 years for mark and Flacco? we've lost a boatload of talent and they keep adding. Switch the QBs and you'd get similar results for both teams this year.

In '09 he had a good game in SD, he was vital to us winning. I know his rating wasn't high, didn't pass for a ton of yards, blah, blah, blah but he was the best QB on the field that day.

In Indy he led us to a double digit lead before we lost the threat of a run game when Greene went down.

In '10 he sucked in the 1st half at Indy, the D kept it close and he was excellent int he 2nd half including leading us to a chip shot FG to win at the gun.

Our run game outside of 2 runs didn't do a lot at NE. The D played great against a top O but the game changed on that long pass where he redirected Braylon which set up our 1st TD. You talk about the game being over when NE scored well all we had to do was run out the clock when Greene scored. Take away that run and he averaged under 3.8 YPC, LT had the one nice run after the botched fake punt at the end of the 1st half, minus that run he averaged 3 YPC the rest of the game. To say the run game carried us or dictated the game couldn't be further from the truth.

We know what happened in Pitt, the D was dominated setting the tone w/ a 9 min TD drive to open the game and getting us down 17 points, mark and the O brough us back w/in 5 then the D folded again.

His role wasn't expanded, in 2011 we couldn't run and fell behind so we had to throw a ton. We weren't equipped to throw it. 3 of his top weapons in 2011 were out of football in 2012 and in 2012 when healthy we had good enough weapons but we were never healthy and spent most of the year w/ Kerley, Schilens, Gates, Cumberland, Reuland as our weapons in the pass game.

That and Boller never even played in a playoff game let alone won 4 of them.

Steve McNair won how many playoff games w/ Lewis and reed in their prime? heck in 13 years w/ better talent around him McNair only won 4 playoff games.

8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Facts are we won 4 playoff games with this guy under center

9. displacedfan

Yes and since then we went 8-8 and 6-10 with that guy, that guy's turnovers in key moments being a major reason we lost some of those games.

Players change over time, we hoped Sanchez would get better. His growth stalled somewhere in season 3 and he went backwards in season 4. So, competition is good. We get to see if his head is in the right place and he worked on some stuff in the offseason. If he throws like he did last season, he's not winning the competition most likely. If he improves, he has a better shot. If he improves, our team looks better. The annoying part is that he should be improving from what he was in year 3, not improving from basically his rookie year.

Hey maybe Sanchez puts it together with a new OC and in offseaosn, I would love for that to happen but there were so many basic things wrong last year, I don't want the Jets to bank on Sanchez doing that. I want a capable backup so Sanchez is on a short leash and if he continues to struggle we don't let it keep on spiraling out of control. I think a new OC and this system can make Sanchez more accurate and rid of him of the rookie mistakes from last year, but I'm an optimistic fan. Realistically if I was running the team like Idzik, all my eggs are not and should not be in the "Mark Sanchez will improve dramatically" basket.

10. nyjunc

Our D blew a lot of games in 2011, we didn't really lose any games late b/c of sanchez TOs. In 2012 we did but not '11.

This is his last shot, he'll get a chance to work w/ an OC that helped Vick go froma mid 50s comp % guy to the 60s and he'll have one last shot to earn his job back and slavage his career here. If not we move on. I'm rooting for him but I know very few Jet fans are.

11. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

People change and Sanchez blows now...

Need to stop living in the past and face reality about your qb...

12. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Where else woulds Sanchez start? What good teams would see Sanchez as an upgrade to their current QB?

13. nyjunc

right now he's damaged goods and would struggle to start anywhere but what does that mean? There are a million examples of QBs that struggled, left their team, sat on the bench for a little bit then came in and played really well. A bad year or 2 doesn't mean you can never be a good QB again. It may not happen here but if we release him(whether this year or next) he'll have opportunities to start again at some point.

14. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

What does Sanchez do well as a passer that leads you to believe he could be a good QB somewhere else?

15. nyjunc

This year nothing but again he fell into some bad habits w/ lesser talent around him trying to froce things that weren't there.

W/ good coaching they can turn him around, look at what Harbaugh did w/ Alex Smith? Alex was a complete bust, he didn't have any success like mark and yet first year w/ Harbaugh he became a quality starter.

He is going to need to be reprogrammed.

16. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

We dont have a Harbaugh on our staff. If you want to blame Rex for Sanchez turning into a disaster, that works for me....but you love Rex too so who knows where you truly stand.

17. nyjunc

mark was doing just fine before we changed OCs, we have a new OC that really helped Vick become less of a runner and more of a passer and a guy that helped Jeff Garcia develop into a good NFL QB. We'll see what he can do w/ Mark.

18. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Vick can thank Andy Reed not your new OC!

19. nyjunc

I'm sure Andy played a role as did marty.

20. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

i beg to differ. he always sucked, it was that we gave him a pass because he was a rookie/2nd year player.