Jets GM John Idzik said he's a Jet, Open Competition...about Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CowboysFan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That is true.

Fortunately, or UNfortunately, they have lots of other reasons not to start Sanchez next season. Interceptions, fumbles, incompletions, missed open recievers, etc.etc.etc. A nice sample size from which to make the decision from.

Ultimately though, if/when the Jets use that to make their decision, I have a strong feeling that you'll blame that decision on the fans and not that the Jets brass might actually think he's a bad QB.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I would hope they are smart enough to realize all the issues around the QB and how he had no help. That doesn't mean hand him the job but he has certainly earned the right to compete for it.

I think Jet fans led to the ouster of Herm, Schottenheimer and Tannenbaum. Luckily rex doesn't listen to the fans or tebow would have been starting last year.

3. BrowningNagle

Exactly.

You like Sanchez and you choose to place the blame around him. You liked Herman Edwards, Schottenheimer, and Tannenbaum and chose to place the blame around them.

I suspect when the Jets decide to move on from Sanchez you'll say the fans ran him out of town just like those guys.

When it makes more sense that the brass might actually look at the results and not be so quick like you to place the blame around him or in those cases, them.

But you know, keep on believing that just because the Jets get rid of someone YOU like- that the fans were the driving force.

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Oh good... I can keep my avatar for a bit longer :up:

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Sanchez definitely has right to compete for it with another QB we bring in. Unfortunately the competition will not very stiff so we are going to end up with a bottom 5 starting QB or worse to start the season most likely.

So the subpar offenses led by Schotty didn't lead him out of town? The bad dealings and contracts didn't lead Tanny out of town? It was all the fans?

6. nyjunc

I never absolved him of blame but I'm not naive enough to believe it was all him. I saw the weapons he was throwing to, I saw he had nowhere to go. I saw the backup come in and have similar issues- the difference btw McElroy and sanchez was mark was trying to make plays and forcing it resulting in TOs while McElroy just took sacks.

I haven't seen evidence they make player decisions based on fan reaction but they have definitely made some other decisions based on nitwit reactions.

7. nyjunc

They weren't subpar, he was a good OC here. There were some circumstances he had to deal w/ but he never had an O as bad as we had this year.

Tanny built a team that played in 2 title games.

8. BrowningNagle

So you are back tracking now? Those decisions weren't based on the fans but rather that the decision makers are nitwits/ had nitwit reactions? (that's an opinion that I can respect)

or - are you standing by your quote that Jets fans lead to the ousting of Edwards, Schottenheimer, and Tannenbaum? (in which case I'm thinking of driving up to florham park with some other decisions if this power is true)

9. nyjunc

where am I backtracking? I believe fan uproar set the wheels in motion for Herm to leave, Schottenheimer to leave and Tannenbaum to be fired. I absolutely believe nitwit reaction played a role. That's my biggest problem w/ Woody as an owner who I think overall has done a good job but he listens to the fanbase too much and we have an awful fanbase.

10. displacedfan

He was an inconsistent OC here. It played out week in and week out. You never could count on the O and what to expect. That sounds good except it looked like our O didn't know what to expect at times.

Yes Tanny built a team that played in two title games. He was also a GM of a team that went from 11-5 to 6-10 in 2 years also. You can keep on saying he built those teams you can't ignore his most recent years here where he tore apart those teams, never replaced depth or skill players we lost, handed out bloated contracts that backfired on us, and in one offseason he managed to extend a QBs contract, sign a FA QB, trade for a QB, and trade away a QB he signed.

The team was trending downwards and it could tie straight back to talent acquisition and lack of depth, Tanny's fields. He has shown trouble re-establishing the talent around this team and has made some very questionable decisions these past two years. We were a step slow addressing the WR position, OL depth, LB play, S play. We were a year late on all of them, even 2 years too late. That all falls back on him. He gets credit for building successful, he also gets blame for not being able to sustain it and allowing it to trend downwards. Part of the reason it is trending downwards are some bad contracts he handed out just compiling he had a rough couple years lately.

11. displacedfan

Well the fanbase was yelling "NO NO NO NO NO NO" during the Tebow trade. Pretty sure the fanbase was yelling "NO NO NO NO" to chasing Nnamdi and not resigning both Braylon and Holmes. Woody should probably listen to the fan base more.

12. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

What a ridiculous idea to think that an owner, with all knowledge of inside workings of a team, could possibly find reason to fire Brian Schottenheimer and Mike Tannenbaum based on their job performance. Clearly the fans are at fault here.

13. nyjunc

He deserves criticisim for the last year and a half but to me 2 title game apps buys you more time to turn it around again.

One here the fanbase wanted Tebow to start.

I think the fanbase wanted Nnamdi, chasing Nnamdi didn't affect Braylon coming back or not. There were behind the scenes things that they didn't want him back at that point. They brought him back this year out of desperation.

14. BrowningNagle

He's done a good job as owner except for those little instances where he listened to fans when making major franchise altering decisions.

Great owner. If only we could have better fans eh?

15. displacedfan

Once we acquired Tebow and Sanchez was deciding to throw games/fumble games away, yes people wanted the backup QB to start. That backup QB happened to be Tebow because our genius owner/GM/coach/someone in the organization thought this would be a bright idea in March while the whole Jets fanbase was screaming DONT DO THIS. Everyone's worse case scenario nin March when making this move happened The Tebow fans don't count because well they don't care about the team, just the QB so different than the actual Jets fanbase.

I would give him more time to turn it around if he didn't manage to dig such a big hole. If it was just injuries or problems or etc out of his hands, he has more time. But he dug the hole. On top of that, his strategy of big name FA and trading up in the draft, it is the exact opposite of that strategy for this team right now. It just goes how he handled himself as GM here. He dug the hole and his history shows that he shown the tools to fix it.

16. nyjunc

Pretty much.

he gave us a window of about 4 years as a championship contender which is miraculous considering we never had an elite QB. Tannenbaum did a good job here.

mark had little help, he played better earlier in the season but when he was playing most of the year w/ Kelrey, Schilens, Gates, Cumberalnd, reuland as his weapons in the pass game he was awful. He still deserves criticism but he also deserves another chance w/ healthy, quality weapons.

17. displacedfan

The window closed after 2010. He opened it up in 2008 with Favre and just because of Favre. Once Favre's play dropped and we didn't adjust offensively, that season was gone. We then got Sanchez and decided to build a defensive/run team. We did a very good job at that, got lucky to end the season and imposed our will on CIN and SD. The next year Tanny added offensive pieces to have a semblance of a passing game. This helped out greatly but we made it as far as the year before. Then all the confusing things start to happen in 2010-2011 offseason and onwards. None of the choices panned out and you can't strike out two years ago and strike out so visibly (Holmes big contract, Sanchez extension, Tebow trade). Woody definitely had reasons to move on from Tanny. Tanny gave him plenty of reason the last two years.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

junc is right. The Mets should should hire back Steve Phillips because he took us to the world series. * Barf.

19. nyjunc

I think it was still open in '11. we lost a close game to the SB champs in week 16 that could changed on a fluky 99 yd TD, after that NYG got on a run- if we win maybe we get on a run?

Favre killed us in 2008, if we kept Chad we easily win the AFC East that year.

20. nyjunc

yep, the situations are exactly the same!