Jets GM John Idzik said he's a Jet, Open Competition...about Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CowboysFan, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Suckchez will now attempt the WCO after tasting the Coryell and Erhardt-Perkins. Get some talent around this guy or were in trouble.

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Which to put another way, a good QB raises the play level of those around him, an average QB plays down to the level around him, and a Bad QB, well is just a bad QB. You put just about any other QB on this team and he will out perform Sanchez, put an elite QB on this team and it's a legitimate play off contender.

3. 1968jetsfan

I don't recall who had the talent comment, but I disagree.

All NFL players have more of the physical tools than 99% of the population, but not all NFL players have more talent than 99% of the population, there are a lot of very talented college players who never get in to the NFL due to not having the physical tools, and there are a good number of players who make it to the NFL without the talent, but with the tools (see Gholston, Ryan Lief, etc). I've seen a lot of QB's in college that had all the talent in the world, but because they didn't have a big arm and/or they were only 6'0 or 6'1 they never got a sniff of the NFL.

Sanchez has the tools, but at this point one would have to say he doesn't have the talent.

4. XX2

XX2 New Member

Sanchez will only play road games.

:breakdance:

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

You are 100% correct. Hobbes is a fool. And thats putting it lightly. He comes up with ideas and just repeats them over and over [thinking he's proving a point]. He did it with repeating fourth string players names in Rueland, Gates and Gilyard, saying Sanchez played in a WCO, "If you are a GM, what do you trade for Revis", and now this BS about Boomer and Simms.

At some point its got to be trolling...

But to further your point-

[YOUTUBE]YAZ9bSijSlQ[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.jetsconfidential.com/news/jaws-jaworski-breaks-down-sanchez/

- Sanchez ranked 23rd coming into last year and only regressed even more.

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/1/6/3841258/jaws-ranks-titans-jake-locker-29th-qb-in-nfl

- Sanchez ranked only ahead of Brian Hoyer in the NFL (assuming qualifying 32 QB's).

So as you said, there's other "experts" who think Sanchez should have done better and is a bottom tier QB in this league.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I honestly don't think the WCO is gonna make a difference. Weren't the Jets already using a lot of short safe passes into their offense? isn't that what the WCO is mainly about?

But Sanchez failed under Schotty and Schotty was blamed for Sanchez inept play. So getting Sparano was supposed to be "an upgrade" by the end of the 2012 season Sparano was partially blamed for Sanchez sucking even worse. Now MM is supposed to "fix" Sanchez? I kinda want Sanchez to start so that when he fails AGAIN, they will see that the OC was never the problem and it was mainly Sanchez that was the problem.

This does not mean I am rooting for Sanchez to fail, I just don't believe in him anymore. If he plays above expectations then great, but more than likely he will probably regress even more, if that's even possible.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

it doesnt matter if he fails again next year. there will still be people who will spin it to not be his fault or say its because of hte bad stuff that happened to him or because he didnt have talent last year.

there is no winning with certain posters, thats why its pointless to disagree with them.

shoot one of them still defends herm edwards on a regular basis. even after he took kc from a regular playoff team to 4-12. and got fired and went to espn because everyone in the world realized he was not a good head coach.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i am rooting for him to fail. him failing to the point of ridding ourselves of him is a necessary thing in order for this team to be a contender again.

yes i say take our medicine this year with him. fuck it ill take a year and just suck in order to be out from under the weight of him and everything that he is.

9. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Steve Young said it. Do you know more than him????!!!

Huh? Huh?!

10. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

the thing im afraid of with Sanchez possibly returning to compete for the starting job is that I'm afraid that Rex may let his personal feelings get in the way of making the statistically correct decision. I'm afraid that even if the competition is statistically in favor of someone other than Sanchez, unless there is a huge disparity, I'm afraid Rex will side with Sanchez giving him the benefit of the doubt.

11. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

I think its been the plan between Rex and your owner to give Sanchez one last chance. The Jets have way too much invested in Sanchez...It doesnt matter who you bring in Sanchez will start next year!

What free agent QB do you think would beat out Sanchez?

12. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Or Sanchez may actually legitimately win the competition. That's why I don't want there to be any competition. I just wish we'd take our medicine and cut this guy loose on June 1st. Seriously ... who gives a shit if the guy is a practice all-star? We already know he's a gameday scrub ... and that's all that matters to me. He's already had four years to prove himself and he's universally regarded as the worst starting QB in football.

I don't care if he goes 50-50 in the preseason with 10 TD's. In no circumstance whatsoever do I want to see him ever take another regular season snap for this team. I've seen more than enough.

I'll beat this drum forever ... If Sanchez is our QB next season, we have no shot to compete. And by the time they nail his ass to the bench, the season will most likely be down the toilet already.

13. 1968jetsfan

Better question, what free agent QB do you bring in who couldn't beat out Sanchez.

14. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Sanchez would beat Matt Moore in camp because Matt Moore sucks in practice. Hes a "gamer" and likes to improvise.

Who knows about Matt Flynn because Flynn has experience in the WCO. He couldn't beat out Russell Wilson, but turns out he was really good.

15. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

If Sanchez wins a QB competition, it still won't be a repeat of last season. Assuming he beats out a vet (like Smith, Hasslebeck, Moore), Rex will be able to switch starting QB much earlier in the season. This time there's gonna be a viable backup on the bench.

16. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

After seeing 2 "great defensive" teams shreded by great passing by basically unknowns, I'm afraid anyone who believes the 2010 Mark Sanchez is taking the Jets to a SB victory is delusional.

The Jets need to draft a big strong athletic QB and hope that our new OC can develop him very quickly. It's time to cut the vets and draft a team to win 3 or 4 years down the road.

The corp. that we got our run with in 08 through 10 isn't going to be around when we are ready to win again.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You are trying to run a guy out of town b/c he sucked w/ a terrible cast of teammates around him. NO QB could have won w/ tha talent.

mark has proven he can win in January, it's a rare quality for a QB. Surround him w/ the right talent and he will win again. Give him Flacco's talent and he's a champion today.

Young, dilfer and everyone should bash Sanchez for his poor play but Dilfer had him as a top 10 QB 2 years ago so again we are working w/ talent. Puit Steve Young under C for the 1012 Jets and we see similar poor results, not as bad but he's not leading us to the playoffs- he could barely lead a dynasty he was handed into a championship team.

Maybe mark is done here, maybe mentally he can't play here? but he deserves the chance to try to earn his job back in 2013.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Flacco did very little in the game, don't allow another bogus SB MVP award to fool you. Jacoby Jones turned a badly underthrown deep ball where he had his defender beat by 15 yds into a TD then agve them their only TD of the 2nd half.

When do we see WRs running downfield 10+ yds beyond a defender? it doesn't happen.

The difference btw Flacco and sanchez is talent around them. Switch the Qbs- you get the same result.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This, exactly. The Jets need to realize that they built a team for a window that no longer exists and they overpaid several core players because they were right in the window at the time.

They do have a chance to get very lucky with a few breaks and get into the playoffs this year but it would be a flukey thing that was likely not repeatable.