Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If true this just means that good QB's on bad teams will become a thing and the overall perception of what it takes to win will shift away from the QB again.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Just curious, for those that don’t want Lamar. What is your solution to the QB issue?

By my eyes, every single option we have at the Qb position comes with some level of risk. Yes, the Lamar option comes with the most risk but also comes with by far the most upside.

Give me the upside, it’s not like we really have anything to lose.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It’s crazy isn’t it? I saw a tweet that went something like this —

jets fans are ridiculous.

dont trade for lamar. it’s a lot draft capital.
    dont trade for Rodgers. He is old
    dont sign carr. He stinks
    dont sign jimmy g. He is always hurt
    dont start zach. He sucks
    dont draft a qb. We cant develop anyone

I guess we will go into 23 with no qbs????

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Sign Carr as a FA. No draft picks required.

red75bronco and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He starting trying to force his way out when he personally knew of all this stuff. I still don’t view it as the same but fair points.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We basically did that in '22... :oops:
    Funny how Zach... our big-time draft pick just two years ago is rarely in the conversation.

That's on Joe Douglas and the coaching staff.
    They have to solve the problem... and it could destroy everything they've built so far.

7. Br4d

We have a tremendous amount to lose if we give up a bunch of draft picks for him and then he gets hurt after coming to the Jets.

15 games started in 2019, 15 games started in 2020, 12 games started in 2021 and 12 games started in 2022. What the next set of numbers in this sequence?

8. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

JD is going after Lamar if he becomes available.

9. Br4d

JD knows people in the Ravens FO. He knows how they operate. If the Ravens are willing to trade him for a lot my guess is JD is not going to be the one on the other end of the phone in that situation.

Lots easier to get a journeyman QB to build around for next year and try to stabilize and make the playoffs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If the Ravens franchise him they intend to resign him. They can’t run the risk of being stuck with him on a one year deal and his taking any slight injury as an excuse not to play and risk greater injury and torpedoing another season. I’m not saying he wasn’t injured but I think he was smart not to play on an injury he might have been able to play through without a contract for next year and risk a greater injury.

otherwise they will just let him walk and it’s a matter of who is willing to give him the guaranteed contract he wants.

11. dawinner127

15 games in 2019 because they had the bye clinched.
    15 games in 2020 because he had Covid vs Pittsburgh and that was that weird game played on like a Wednesday at 3:40 pm in the afternoon

2021 was obviously b/c of injury and then this year I am not buying that he is sitting out b/c of injury. The dude wants his contract and isn't risking it.

This might be the reason why they just use the non exclusive tag on him and let him go find a deal and get 2 1's in return.

KY Jets Fan and JetBlue like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't know man. I still think Zach Wilson would be a better option at QB for the Jets than Tunsil. Sure, it is a toss up, but I give a slight edge to Zach.

13. Br4d

5 games missed each of the last two seasons is a big deal.

14. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

You’re leaving out the distinct possibility that maybe he might not want to play for the Jets

15. Br4d

Le'veon Bell didn't want the Jets either. We were the only choice in the end and so he came here.

One of the things to realize is that 60-70% of the NFL franchises are rational and nobody rational is going to make any kind of offer for a running QB with LJ's track record.

That leaves maybe 10 places he might land in the irrational cohort and some of those teams already have a QB.

Lets look at the irrationals.

1. Jets
    2. Browns
    3. Colts
    4. Texans
    5. Raiders
    6. Commanders
    7. Lions
    8. Bears
    9. Panthers
    10. Cardinals

These are the teams most likely to make a bad free agent signing, a bad high draft pick, a bad trade, a bad coaching hire, etc. None of them have a respected GM because they're always making mistakes one way or the other and nobody respectable is going to look at them as a good opportunity. Some of them, like the Jets, Browns, Texans, Commanders, Bears and Cardinals just have a terrible team culture which buries their chances to be successful. Really the Lions should be in that group also but they get a temporary pass for their rare season above .500.

Of the irrationals about half need a QB right now and the other half will in a year or two.

That's Lamar Jackson's marketplace right now. If the Ravens tag him in a way he can negotiate with the NFL the teams he will be talking too are in that list.

#175 Br4d, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. dawinner127

I don't think he misses 5 games this year and I sure as hell think he plays last night if he had the contract in place. Guy made the right business decision. Look at RG3 after he just put a brace on and played. PCL injury was 1-3 week injury, not 6.

JetFanInNE and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Get a proven veteran starter - Carr, Tannehill, someone of that caliber - without having to pay a fortune to obtain and another fortune to keep. The risk is relatively low, compared to Lamar where the risk is very high coupled with a very high cost.

If we get Jackson and he doesn't bring us at least to the SB, if not win one, and/or he gets hurt and misses lots of games, that's what we have to lose.

PennyRoyal10 and Br4d like this.
  18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We haven’t won anything in over 50 years, we haven’t even made the playoffs in over a decade. What do we really have to lose?

I don’t know about you guys but I’d much rather know my Qb is a stud when healthy. Hoping your QB stays healthy sounds a lot better than hoping your QB isn’t the worst in the league and doesn’t cost us another season.

What do you want Jets to do for QB?

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The other issue with trading for Jackson is that the Ravens are a smart team, which means if he's really a good idea, he probably won't be available.

Br4d likes this.
  20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Even with the non-exclusive they run the risk of his not finding a team that will to give up two firsts, and are on the hook for the salary with the risk that he’s not willing to risk any long term injury and just sits out with even the slightest ding.

I agree that is the most likely thing they do, but it can backfire on them.