Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Cam’s injuries only piled up so to speak because his arm degraded. He’d probably still be playing today if he didn’t lose arm strength.

Not untrue, but Lamar needs to start sliding and getting out of bounds at a more frequent pace. He takes a lot of big hits.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

But not all mystery boxes are created equal. A first round mystery box is far more valuable than a 4th round mystery box. And there is also the fact that football is a team sport and you need more than just a QB.

If you just want to go all in for 2 years, then I can see it. But this is long term disaster for the Jets. See Wilson, Russell.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Thats true, but Lamar isn’t exactly a guy that can get by with his arm. He’s got a canon but he’s not accurate. Sound familiar?

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I saw your post about Lamar's lack of development as a passer so I'll add my thoughts on that.

Lamar has never played with legit weapons on the outside besides Marquise Brown. He's played with absolute scrubs at the WR position. Garrett Wilson is on a trajectory to be a star.

Losmeister likes this.
  5. bicketybam

There are only a handful of QB's I would trade for that involves all those picks and Lamar isn't on my list.

Mahomes
    Herbert
    Allen
    Burrow

That's it.

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I can’t answer that with my bias that I feel Zach will never reach a level of competency that makes him worth being a starter. Suspending that thought, obviously Woody and JD felt the kid has that ability. So as an owner, I have a GM that made bold moves to draft Wilson and Becton when there were other options on the table for both. And now I’m going to let that GM bail himself out with a quarter billion dollars and the future of the franchise in draft picks? I don’t think so. If I were to do that I’d be on the phone with Sean Payton or Harbaugh and going all in to ensure we have the right staff to lead the ridiculous amount of money I spend to fix JD’s mistakes. Again, if JD didn’t have an all world draft last year where would this convo be today? The talent on this team is young. We can afford another look and see season to add more pieces to the O through the draft (a draft we won’t have if we trade all these picks away). We’re not stuck in a small window like the Rams we’re with Stafford. Personally if I was the owner today and I’m being asked by my GM to spend 50m a year and give up picks to fix the mistakes the same GM made in the first place, I’m firing them all. If I believe in said GM then I’m telling him to fix his mistakes with what he has.

Personally I think the Jets are behind the scenes discussing every option to rebuild Zach’s mechanics and mental game, as well as his image. My feeling is we’re gonna see a lot of fluff pieces about the good things Zach does and the hard work he’s putting in. I think we’ll see a lot of news about his progress and how he’s earned the starter role over Brissett or some other mid level QB we sign. At that point they’ll pray the light goes on for Zach the way it has for Daniel Jones/Lawrence/Darnold/Geno…. If it doesn’t, then I think Woody fires everyone and opens his wallet.

7. NYJFOREVER

It's not a long term issue. Give up 2 firsts and a 2nd or 3 firsts, you'll get the draft picks back by the time you need to retool. Long-term, it's also blatantly obvious the QB position is holding this team back. Not the offensive line, not the wide receivers, not the defense, and not the coaching staff. It's the fucking quarterback. If the Jets got mediocre QB play, we'd have been watching the Jets play Buffalo yesterday.

The Jets have two all-pro caliber stars on offense on rookie deals in Breece Hall and Garrett Wilson, if their development continues. They have a legitimate Super Bowl caliber defense that needs to add around the margins; I'd love to see a true FS and another off-ball linebacker added, both of which can be found in the mid-tier of free agency or on days 2 and 3 of the draft.

Sorry, I don't really care about a bunch of lotto tickets or mystery boxes. Give me the QB and figure it out from there. How many times is this organization going to value lotto tickets and miss? I'm sick of hearing about the future. The future is now. This team has been rebuilding and retooling for 12 years, in a league in which it takes maybe TWO years to rebuild. The long-term future can suck it. Maybe after another 3 years we can FINALLY compete. Let's go for the 15 year rebuild!

Also, Lamar Jackson is 26, not 35. It's not a 2 year window.

8. bicketybam

TL was the consensus #1 pick last year. It took Geno 10 years for the light to come on and it might just be a one year event for all we know. I don't think the light is on at all for Darnold.

You really didn't answer my question. You despise Wilson as a QB. You've made that clear in just about every post you make, even ones that don't specifically concern him. So now you are the GM/Owner. What would be your plan for the QB position heading into next season. You can't just waffle like you did and then complain no matter what the Jets do. Let's hear it.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

But everyone here has screamed from the mountain tops that we are just a QB away from a 10 or 11 win season, and that's with Gardner Minshew, Mike White, Daniel Jones, Jimmy f'ing G or Derek Carr -- mediocre QBs.

I honestly think Lamar puts you in the 12-13, hey maybe we can actually compete with the Chiefs in the AFCCG conversation with a legit O + very good D. I don't really view Lamar as a 2 year window either. The All Pro players on the Jets are still on year 1 or 2 of their contracts, plenty of time to figure that out, but it's pretty clear that QB it the thing holding us back the most. Go get a very good one and figure out the rest later.

EDIT - Just saw I was beat to the punch by someone else. Basically agree with all of @NYJFOREVER points. Good post.

KY Jets Fan and JetFanInNE like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

If the Jets decided to roll with Jacoby Brissett and Zach Wilson, the entire front office and coaching staff deserves to be fired.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So in two or three years you think he’s going to be significantly slower?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Did you read what I wrote? If you want my answer of what I specifically would do as owner then we need to go back in time, because I’d refuse to sign off on drafting Zach and we wouldn’t be here in the first place. I’d fire the entire staff and go get Payton or Harbaugh. That’s where I’d open my wallet to do right now because I think it’s preposterous that a GM with any pride whatsoever would fuck up so badly on evaluating a QB and then have the nerve to ask me to pay a quarter billion dollars and multiple draft picks to fix it. Especially when we need those draft picks to fix the OL that the same GM grossly mismanaged as well. But if I still had any belief in said GM to not fire him, I’d force him to make good on his work with the decisions he’s made already. I personally want the Jets to sign a mid level guy and look to the 2024 draft for a future QB. I don’t want high priced FA’s or trades.

13. bicketybam

Lamar has a legitimate injury history and his style of play makes him conducive to getting hit and hit hard. But we can table that for know.

We will need to restock the roster at some point and our rookie and second year players will need to be resigned. We will also lose guys because that's the nature of the business. The NFL draft is how to rebuild your team, mystery boxes or not. Not having a first round draft pick for 3 straight years is a huge detriment. Let's see how Denver fairs. Prediction: awful.

If it were just a money deal I'd have no problem with it. If it were a single 1st round pick I'd have no problem with it. I could probably be talked into 2 first round picks. But 3 first round picks plus 3rd and 4th rounders for someone not named Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow or Allen is just too much for me.

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed but our defense didn't fare so well later in the year. We need linebackers. Where are we getting them from? You need draft picks.

14. NYJFOREVER

How'd not having first round picks since Obama was in office work out for the Rams and McVay? They went to two Super Bowls and won one of them. When was the last time the Jets played in the Super Bowl?

As for the bolded part, you truly don't read the posts you reply to. You can find quality, run-stopping, off-ball linebackers all over day 3 of the draft or in the mid-tiers of FA.

The NFL is a league in which 12 teams have not won a Super Bowl. The Jets have not played in a Super Bowl since 1969. I do not give a rats ass about sustained success. Just win a fucking Super Bowl.

15. bicketybam

We're getting closer. And you can't go back in time. We are talking about the present. Otherwise my answer would be to draft Allen instead of Darnold. Look, I'm a genius!

So your first order of business would be to fire the GM and the coaching staff. You then throw all the money in the world at Payton and Harbaugh. Let's assume one of these guys takes the job (a huge assumption.) How would you expect them to approach the QB position for 2023?

16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Cleveland is one franchise I don’t think the Jets need to look at as an exemplar or try to emulate.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I mean if the past is any indicator, I think we have to assume that the physical decline will start sooner rather than later. Probably within the next 3-4 years.

18. bicketybam

Well that answers that. Agree to disagree.

19. bicketybam

I agree but unfortunately they set the bar for QB trades, along with Denver.

20. NYJFOREVER

FIFTEEN YEAR REBUILDS BABY!