Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

There's really only been 3 examples of teams giving up the type of trade package that would be required to land Lamar so we just don't have enough data on that to definitively say one way or the other is the "correct" way.

Last offseason, Denver gave up 2 1's, 2 2's, 1 5, Drew Lock, Shelby Harris, and Noah Fant for Russ and a 4. Cleveland gave up 3 1's, 1 3, and 2 4's for Watson and a 6th.

Before that, you have to go all the way back to 1976 to find a trade for a QB that involved 3 1's and change. The Niners traded that to the Pats for Jim Plunkett.

Plunkett got waived in '79 so we can for sure say 1 of these 3 trades was a bust but I think it's way too early to say that for the other 2.

Again, just to make sure everyone is clear on my stance, I'm not saying we trade for Lamar no matter what but it's definitely an option we have to consider. We're legitimately a QB away from being a playoff contender. All options should be on the table.

You brought up Stafford so I'll just end it here, would you not give up 2-3 1's for a Super Bowl? Granted, that's the best-case, somewhat unrealistic scenario here but adding a top 7-10 QB in his prime to this offense could push us over the top. I'd happily sacrifice a few years of drafting in the first round if I knew we'd get a Super Bowl out of it.

#101 KY Jets Fan, Jan 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I figured they would do the exclusive tag as well.

I'm going to throw a lot at you and I'm not sure if you have the answers to any of this, but you do seem pretty knowledgeable about the cap so I'm going to ask:
    - Do you know how that cap works if they tag him at 45m, he signs, then they trade him?
    - I believe he cannot be traded without signing that initial tag
    - Does the team that trades for him take any hit of that 45m? Do the Ravens? Is it ripped up for the new contract that he would want/receive?
    - I think it goes without saying he won't sign the tag unless he is traded with a new contract and the new team wouldn't trade for him without getting the new deal done
    - Does the date that you need to sign the tag get extended if you are traded?

3. dawinner127

[​IMG]
    From lamar's instagram

Losmeister likes this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don't want him any more.

5. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

You guys are so eager to think Woody is gonna throw 50m a year out for what, 5+ years at least, plus at least 2 1st round picks, for a guy that missed the playoffs 2 years in a row with injuries and relies on athleticism. On top of that it’ll cost Woody the contract and pick he used on Zach since that’ll obviously be wasted. He fired the OC for Zach’s ineptness, and he’s watched Daniel Jones blossom, Sam Darnold looked pretty good, Trevor Lawrence, even Geno. All examples of guys that were given up on for all intents and purposes, 2 of which were Jets. And you think he’s gonna just give up on Zach, who is the nephew of someone he has at least some level of friendship with? Add to that he just saw Russell Wilson go to DEN for huge money and picks and it will kill that franchise for years. You’re all fucking nuts. The first qualification of any OC we bring in is their ability and plan to turn Zach around. They’ll sign a mid level FA QB for insurance, but there’s no way we’re going big in FA or a trade.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And how well have those deals worked out for the receiving team?

Sure, in a vacuum, getting LJ would be great. But this isn't a vacuum, this is a "black hole" sucking valuable resources which will never be recouped into it.

And yet, I would almost consider doing it, except for his injury history and the likelihood of future serious injury. Finally, the Ravens are one of the best run organizations in football, and among the best at talent evaluation, so if they're willing to let him go, I think it's a trap.

NOVAJET likes this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Do you have any issues with giving up three first-round picks plus a third a fourth and a fifth? People freak out when we give up a 5th rounder.

Cleveland gave up that to get Watson. The jet should expect the same.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m all for guys trying to get as much money as they can and this doesn’t come from resentment of not being a multi-millionaire but I don’t get why these guys get so offended in contract negotiations. Sounds like the Ravens made him a pretty fair offer.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I was fine with pursuing Lamar, but now I am not sure after last night. I don't understand not even traveling with your team for a playoff game. If you can't play, at least support your teammates. Seems contract-related more than knee-related to me, and I personally don't like players who act like that.

I saw RGIII say it was the smart move, as he played on a hurt knee and ruined his career, but I disagree. If you physically can play, you should. You are not playing for free in 2022. The Ravens are still paying Lamar to play QB. If you truly can't play due to injury, at least support your teammates.

Seems like a negative situation the Jets should avoid.

bicketybam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here is what I believe it would looks like. Between Feb 21 and March 7 Ravens will tag Lamar with exclusive 45 mil tag. Because the tag is fully guaranteed base and not bonus over multiple years, once they trade him he will be completely off the books for the Ravens. All the hit will be taken by - in this example - the Jets. Technically Lamar has no say in this, but realistically, the new team will not part with all this capital unless they know they secure Lamar. So at the very least the framework of the deal will be in place. On March 15th is when the trade could be official. This is assuming of course Ravens have failed to come to an agreement by then and don't want to play hard ball and want to trade.

The Jets would then take on 45 mil CAP hit, but that same offseason would renegotiate and offer Lamar I believe Watson like deal: 230 over 5 mil fully guaranteed. Maybe even more at this point since this is a year later, and prices keep going up and CAP availability is increasing. When this restructure is done, he will not count 45 mil towards the CAP this year. In other words yes, the contract is ripped up in favor of the new one. Most likely there will be some void years and/or big bonus paid upfront, where CAP hit will be a lot less in 2023. For instance, Watson's CAP hit 2022 was only 9 mil, even though he actually got paid 45 mil singing bonus. It's CAP machinations. So, Lamar's hit will be spread out, and JD would be pushing it down the road.

11. dawinner127

I know it’s a different sport but I think it remains the same across all sports.

Rick DiPietro said this earlier in the morning — He thinks the biggest issue with Lamar and the ravens is that Lamar doesn’t have an agent. It’s just Lamar and his mother for negotiations. Teams say shit to agents that doesn’t get said back to the player bc they may take it personal.

It wouldn’t shock me if something happened along those lines and Lamar is just done with that organization.

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I do not.

Why try to use my mystery box to get a Lamborghini when I know I can get one if I give up the mystery boxes?

13. Jonathan_Vilma

None of that is justification for not traveling with the team to a playoff game that’s an hour flight away in my eyes.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Of course I would but again that’s not what the package was that I responded to. 2-3 firsts plus a fourth plus a fifth plus a massive contract for a shot at winning a Super Bowl with a guy who can’t stay healthy and has an expiration date considering his style of play. Nothing about that sounds worth it.

15. dawinner127

No argument from me. I think it's a terrible look for him.

Last Thursday I posted a clip from Harbaugh and he had the opportunity to defend his guy saying he was hurt and just didn't. There is some crazy bad blood between these two right now, no denying that. It should be a fun 2 months.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

The expiration on his style of play is valid but he’s not 31. He just turned 26 so you’re looking at 4-5 years before you even worry a ton about that.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Is that what you would do if you were the GM/owner? Try to make Wilson a competent NFL QB as opposed to looking for a starting QB in free agency? Honest question.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He just turned 26 but has also racked up multiple injuries. Cam was only 26 when he had the best year of his career and subsequently shit the bed from 27 on

bicketybam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Cam Newton was used like a battering ram.

Lamar's style is more akin to Mike Vick than Cam Newton

dawinner127 likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll respond since I did agree with the post you're responding to so I can clarify my stance. If I were a smart owner, I would get a decent starting QB to play next year and possibly the year after - leaving the door open for Zach to win the job if he somehow blossoms. But we are talking about Woody, so it makes me nervous that he might simply force JD and Saleh to "eat crow" and tell them to make their #2 overall pick work or else.