Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Lamar Jackson seems like a pipe dream, similar to Deshaun Watson a few years back before the abuse allegations. It would be nice to have him, but I just don't see him shaking loose from the Ravens, plus they'd have to give up a lot.

It might be better to just sign Derek Carr to a 2 year deal. Giving up multiple firsts is a win now move and I don't think this team is fully built yet and they need that capital. Otherwise, they are back to where they started 2 years ago, except they won't have so many players on cheap rookie deals.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Hope you're right, Br4d. Don't think Lamar is worth the injury risk, draft picks and salary.

papapump likes this.
  3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Ravens might not tag him though, and then their stuck absorbing the cap hit and he’ll probably hold out at first sight of injury.

JetBlue likes this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If he gets tagged, it'll most likely be with a non-exclusive tag.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Greg Roman ruined this dude - you better bring in an OC that can allow Lamar to take that next step otherwise, no point in even thinking about making this trade.

6. NYJFOREVER

Harbaugh and Roman sat in a room and custom built an entire offense for Lamar Jackson. Maybe it halted his development as a passer, but that is the same exact offense Lamar won an MVP in.

Borat and RochesterJet like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It is not at all unusual for a QB of this type to look great in his first year or two and then step down as the injuries mount. In fact it is more the rule that they look much better early on and then come back to earth.

I'd be a lot more comfortable with a Lamar Jackson acquisition if it was clear that he wasn't going to be running as a main priority, only when needed to avoid the rush.

Just to be 100% clear about this: when you face a team with a running QB everybody on the defense is focused on knocking that guy out of the game because that's the best way to beat that team.

Over time nobody is fast or quick or jiggy enough to avoid all those attempts and sooner or later they are going to get hit and knocked out of the game, often of the season and occasionally of the career.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lamar was doing some outstanding stuff his MVP year - all of the highlights are there. It still stunted his growth, if you are a RB or a TE - Roman's system is perfect, but WRs hate this scheme and if you are down on the scoreboard, it's going to be tough to be explosive in the passing game with Roman.

They fired Roman, Lamar is probably going to stay there.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There is a 200% chance Lamar Jackson stays with Baltimore, which means there is a 100% chance the Jets don't trade for him, which makes me less than 50% confident the Jets can acquire a solid QB this off-season. :)

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

11. NYJFOREVER

If he stays, he stays.

Doesn’t matter to me either way. Just gotta pivot to secondary options.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

For our sake I hope Lamar resigns with Baltimore ASAP so we can divorce ourselves from a bad plan and move onto the next one. Which also is not ideal but far less bad than trading multiple first round picks and probably more for a 26-year-old running quarterback that hasn’t been able to stay healthy for two years whose completion percentage keeps declining all while paying him a crazy amount of money.

13. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Too steep a price, with other OL issues that need fixing for this all to work...
    Too steep. I'll take Carr. Check out the stats , comparable, close. No brainer.

papapump likes this.
  14. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

That and we would have to give up multiple first round picks to get him.

Douglas has proven he can pick players (other than Wilson). Id much rather have him continue to make draft picks and build this team.

I think Jimmy Garrapolo makes the most sense, mostly because you don't have to give up anything to get him. Im open to Carr to but at the right price. If we have to give up multiple first round picks, I don't think its worth it.

15. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

If they can get Carr for a decent price then its worth it.

16. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

It would be a really bad decision to let him go it you're the Ravens. I doubted it was ever a possibility.
    Carr is the move here. Make it happen Joe Douglas.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Garoppolo is injury-prone and now that MLF is gone, so is the scheme fit. And I can't see Carr costing multiple first rounders. Even if the price is something like what the Panthers gave us for Darnold, which is what is the most it will be in all likelihood, we should go with Carr.

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Carr shouldn't cost any draft picks.

NY Jets68 and Borat like this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If multiple teams are interested in him, it could cost us picks to ensure we get him and not another team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

its incredible how braindead most fans (of all teams and all sports are)

FFS!!!