Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Jackson would cost way too much.

Stop me if you've heard this before, but we have too many holes to drop that many assets into one player.

As pointed out by a lot of people here- we would be in the playoffs if we had consistently average QB play.

Would we get well beyond average play from Jackson? Sure, while he's healthy.

But we can get above average play throughout the entire season* from Carr without emptying the coffers.

*yes I know that as a Jet he'd only last a few games before suffering a life altering injury

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If we’d have drafted Jackson instead of Darnold, would anyone be arguing we shouldn’t resign him because he cost too much? That would be an insane declaration if so. If he’s available you sign him.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He won't be available to sign, we'd have to give up multiple firsts to get him. Even if the Ravens are planning to move on, they'll still tag and trade him (or use the non-exclusive tag which would serve the same purpose).

4. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

This is just insane. There is no way the Jets can get anything near what Lamar Jackson has done with Zach Wilson. Zach is the worst qb in the league and one of the biggest busts ever. Lamar has a league MVP, led the league in TD's, can run faster than almost anyone else in the league, has everyone in Baltimore praising his work ethic...Just stop.

I can see not wanting to trade multiple picks and pay through the nose for him, but Zach Wilson will never be able to give you anything close to what Lamar Jackson can.

#244 Jets-N-Terps, Jan 18, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  5. JetBlue

He’s a pending free agent and has not been franchised yet. It may seem like a no-brainer that they will franchise him but doing so the Ravens put themselves in the same position next year that they may have found themselves in this season with a QB possibly not willing to risk major injury because he doesn’t have a long term contract. How many players are the Ravens going to have to cut to pay him $40 million for a single season that he may not play in full and then depart the following year.

The Ravens can’t run the risk of franchising him for the purpose of trading him because they may not find a trade partner. If they franchise him it’s a moot point because they have to do so because they intend on working out a long term deal.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

BEFORE the JETS traded up to #3, I suggested that it would be better to trade DOWN into the 20s and select Lamar.
    Some guy in NC that doesnt watch the JETS but knows everything, said I was an idiot.....

Lamar Jackson + 3 2nd rders, a 1st (or a bunch of other picks)... or Sam Darnold?*

* to be totally transparent, once they traded up to 3, I wanted Rosen, so I'm no genius....

7. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach lovers man. Just crazy stuff.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  8. JetBlue

I suggested similar — just stay put and take Jackson rather than trading up. But I wanted Rosen as well so that basically negates the wisdom of the Jackson suggestion.

9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I can’t believe people on here are actually saying no to acquiring a franchise qb, which the jets haven’t had in 60 years. Unreal lol

10. Bills over Jets

Too many holes is your reasoning for not acquiring a franchise qb? The bills offense has no one on it outside of diggs. Their skill positions are weak and their oline sucks. They have no pass rush and secondary gets abused. Yet…. They are in contention to win a Super Bowl and went 14-3 because they have a franchise qb.

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Mind boggling isn't it?

Bills over Jets likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If the Ravens let him walk, then he would be my first choice. Nonetheless, I don't expect it to happen.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This board sure is something, isn’t it?

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Lamar Jackson is a genuine FQB the Ravens will not let him walk.

bicketybam likes this.
  15. Bills over Jets

He won league mvp. When he plays, the ravens are in #1 seed contention. When he doesn’t play, they can’t win a game. Yeah…. I think he’s a franchise qb

dawinner127 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Or maybe the relationship between the 2 parties is beyond fractured.

JetFanInNE and dawinner127 like this.
  17. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Who you drafted and didn’t trade away a ton of picks for giving you the flexibility to build a roster that works for you.

Good luck in the playoffs. I always was sad that Levy never won one.

18. JetBlue

Agreed, it would be the most foolish decision ever to let him walk. Second most would be to franchise him and trade him. You don’t give up QB’s of his caliber.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree and frankly hope the jets do not trade for Lamar. As you state, IFFFFF the Ravens had an inkling of a belief that Lamar was worth what he thinks he is worth, they would sign him in a New York minute. The fact that the Ravens may want to trade him tells us that they don't think he is worth the big resign. The jets trading for Lamar would be another Denver Russell Wilson trade--a trade Denver CLEARLY would not do again. I am concerned, however, that Douglas might do something strange/desperate at QB, in an attempt to make up for the Zach Wilson draft error.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think Douglas is going to make a move for Lamar Jackson. Douglass future career depends on what happens to the Jets. If we crash and burn after he leaves he'll never see another GM job.