Jets fire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 8, 2024.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have been bitching about Carter all day, as others. We are hoping that would be the next shoe to fall.

Jets79, Fiftynine, AtlantaJet and 3 others like this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I prefer the spinal Tap of the NFL.

NY Jets68, Nyjets4eva and LAJet like this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Frankly, if there ever was a prime opportunity for BB to prove he was the reason for the Patriots’ success, turning the Jets around probably tops that list.

Pepsiguy5, Vida, jackie1013 and 3 others like this.
  4. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

I started a thread about it!

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I would agree with you that those halftime interviews are pretty lame. However, there is the right thing to say and the wrong thing. If Saleh had just said "we have to get better doin' the things we're doin'", he might still have a job.

6. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

The way he handled it. There is a way to bench your drafted QB, it is not way late then entirely scape goat the kid and act like no one else is a problem, allow the team to wear shirts of the backup QB. Regardless of where you stand on if it was the right thing to do or not, a leader handles it much better. Salah was never a leade.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What you conveniently ignore is the person in the best position to have removed Hackett was the guy you're defending today. Hackett worked for Saleh; Saleh kept him here and he kept him calling the same plays he always did.

8. Ralebird

Worst record is all anyone needs to know.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’m shocked at the surprise of the firing and defense of Saleh. He wasn’t fired for a 2-3 record this year; he was fired because the 2-3 record this year, on top of poor to mediocre accomplishments for the previous three years, I’m no way indicates he will likely performs any better the rest of the season. It’s the totality of his record why he is deservedly gone. This is simply the right decision.

sure, the Jets defense is great. That reflects why he should be a defensive coordinator not a HC.

Wade Phillips was arguably the best defensive coordinator in the last 30 years but was a mediocre head coach.

ColoradoContrails, REVISion and Vida like this.
  10. Ralebird

Shit. And shit.

11. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I hate this stuff. Saleh will be fine but firing a coach during the season is never a good thing. If Greg made FG at the end of the Denver game and the Mike Williams pass was completed they would be 4 and 1. Nobody on this board is close enough to know about the real story. But it doesn't stop them from pretending to be experts. Go Jets!

12. Ralebird

When is the last time a good coach was asked to lead this team? Probably Parcells - he ended up with one of, if not the, best record.

13. Ralebird

A good HC fixes it by year three.

REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  14. Ralebird

That would be an "excellent point" to anyone who was in a coma since 2020.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Finally a decision made by Woody that actually makes some logical sense. I mean it was obvious to most he should have fired him in the off-season, so that we could have gotten good offensive coaches, including a HC and still kept Ulbrich as a DC, but even firing Saleh alone is an addition by subtraction. Probably not a big addition, but still... By all accounts, Saleh is a loser HC, who lost respect of the locker room. Ulbrich has respect because defense has done well. He is also former player who is tough SOB and will hold people accountable. I think he will give a spark and may marginally improve the team.

With that said, Ulbrich will not be able to improve offensive coaching talent, because we are stuck with terrible offensive coaching staff and he is a defensive guy. He will not be able to make offense more creative. But he could shake things up a little bit. For instance, he could insist on activating Corley. He could insist on sitting Lazard for some time when he drops another pass or someone makes a stupid penalty. He could chew a player or a coach out for a repeated mistake. He could force the coaches to prepare better. Maybe even make a in game adjustment. Something Saleh didn't do. So, while he cannot fundamentally change the offense, he can provide some marginal improvements, and that may be the difference in a game or two, play-offs on no play-offs.

Overall, a good move by Woody, a very late move, therefore with only marginal benefits, but better than not making it.

16. Ralebird

Actually the heritage program ran off and on for a few years. This year Hispanic Heritage was celebrated in September. I find no indication online that the heritage program of last year was to be repeated this season.

17. Ralebird

Careful - a single tweet from nobody involved that Hackett was about to be fired does not mean that was in the works.

18. Ralebird

Except no Jets ever wore shirts with the name of the backup QB - some wore Mike White shirts when he was starting; I can't see complaining about supporting the guy who was leading the team and I don't see it as a problem of leadership. You might be the last man standing who is still defending the mistake that was Zach Wilson. It was not a mistake to sideline him.

19. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Also it's not like MLF left and has created a juggernaut offense. He's also behind McVay.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'm not defending Saleh. I'm finding it quite ironic that the opinion of many on this board is that his firing is some huge move or that it will change this team's fortunes. It's not huge nor is it surprising nor will it improve the Jets this season. It was to be expected based on his record. "You are what your record says you are", thanks Parcells.

This notion that Saleh was hiring any of these guys is complete rubbish. It's been well known since he arrived that he was just a Yes man and a cheerleader. It's also been well known that he's a good Defensive mind which I think he is. It's also been well known that these decisions to hire and fire anyone, especially the offensive coordinator named Hackett, had nothing to do with Robert Saleh's input. That decision was way above his pay grade and completely falls at the feet of Joe Douglas, Woody Johnson and Aaron Rodgers. But now suddenly it was Saleh who should've gotten rid of this guy and that guy? Complete and utter BS. Saleh never had anything to do with the Offensive side of the ball, player or coaching moves. Never. Saleh's job was always the same since he's been here. Coach the Defense and be a rah rah guy. That's it.

Can you not see this? It's as plain as day. Douglas and Johnson are completely clueless when it comes to making the right moves and hiring the right coaches for this franchise, especially on Offense. It's been one horrific move after the next and this shit franchise's record supports that.

The Jets are a bottom tier NFL franchise. That's really hard to do being in the largest market in the country and one of the richest franchises, but they managed to do it. All of these media types and pundits can believe what they want and fool many on this board and many in general every preseason with these stupid proclamations like "Watch out for the Jets" or the "Jets look like a real contender". That's nothing but hot air and trying to get views.

Anyone who follows this team has seen the repeated mismanagement of personnel moves, coaching hires, and mettling from ownership that has proven to be their downfall every single year for the last 15 seasons. It wasn't hard to see this season was going to be another letdown based on this.

At some point a reality check needs to take place. All of this fluff about Jeff Ulbrich now from fans on here is even more hilarious. Some saying he's the next coming of Belichick. Give me a friggin break. It was a lateral move, nothing more. The Jets better be looking for a real Football Architect after this season. Someone who could build the whole roster and coaching staff. These current guys in the building are "Last Chance U". Joe Douglas nor Jeff Ulbrich will ever be a GM or HC again in the NFL after they get canned from this shit franchise which should happen soon because the rest of this season is going to be like so many before it. A roller coaster of bad moves and play calls. Book it. And Nathaniel Hackett? Well that was criminal that the Jets agreed to Rodgers' terms and brought him in here as some sort of package deal. Any football front office with a clue would have never done that.

The Jets Front Office and Ownership continue to jerk their fans around....AGAIN. Hackett should have been gone after last season. Saleh was nothing more than a figurehead. Anyone here now acting like he was this huge mastermind with all of this input and authority is kidding themselves. He was a glorified DC and everyone knew that. Of course he needed to go but if he goes so does Joe Douglas, Hackett and Aaron Rodgers after this season.

None of them are any less culpable. And Douglas is wayyy more culpable for building such a shitty staff and making so many bad player personnel moves. He needs to be gone at season's end if they miss the playoffs, no questions asked.