Jets favored in just one game in 2020, according to odds-makers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Apr 13, 2020.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Your statement is factual however if Sam is healthy and we are a 1 win team--that would take him regressing quite a bit. Great QB's don't win just 1 game no matter who the coach is. Especially if Oline is better and weapons are better than last year.

We can agree to disagree on that one.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well yea if we win 1 game and Sam plays 16 of them then we have a problem. I thought we were just talking under the assumption we’re going to be bad, not necessarily 1 win.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

3-13/4-12 season on deck for sure.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes and on a Positive Note I see 5 Winnable games where we are favored or the spread is like +1 . Plus , Greg Williams put together a Top Notch Defense last Season and now can only get better

I have Posted before my expectation for our 3rd year QB and resident Coach is a WC appearance ......and if this doesnt happen Gase should be fired and SD re evaluated

That said we need to get lucky beating the Bills Patriots and San Diego for the Jets to have a shot at the 6 seeds for first round of playoffs

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Underdogs win about 33% of NFL games. Somewhere between 4 and 6 wins seems about right.

Brook! likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Who would write such a ridiculous article before the draft and during a pandemic? Oh....................

Brook!, HomeoftheJets, Jake and 2 others like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Every team in the AFC East could win up to 9 games next year and none are likely to win 10.

Right now the way the rosters and schedules stack I think the Jets are just as likely to be one of the 9-7 teams as anybody else. The only team I think could lose a lot of games is the Fins and that's just because rookie QB and they lost a lot last year.

Everybody needs to realize that a crappy Jets team last year with horrific injuries went 7-9. There's no way they have a worse row to hoe this year than last schedule or no.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Sam is healthy and we end up with the top pick, it follows that he must have played poorly. Obvious choice to draft a QB.
    If Sam is hurt and we end up with the top pick, it follows that he has major issues staying on the field. Obvious choice to draft a QB.

Of course, if Sam plays well and we win some games, then we won't be drafting a QB.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed on all of that. And one factor with the Dolphins is that Ryan Fitzpatrick played REALLY GOOD last year. It will be hard to duplicate that with a rookie QB or Fitz himself.

Br4d likes this.
  10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Fitzmagic is a one year rental. Phins just paid for the other guy. Like Dr Jeckyl and Mr. Fitz. That said we could lose a lot this year. Not saying we will. I have no faith in Gase. But I hope Darnold plays great. I think there is no way we go 1-15.

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Ok let's mock who's the top pick next year. That's why you play the game.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I guess everyone has had less coffee than me. The article title says:

Jets favored in just one game in 2020, according to oddsmaker

The thread title says:

Jets favored to win one game in 2020

It's Manish Mehta and Footballgod214 in Battle For the Planet of the Retards. No, it's not on Netflix, but you can probably find it on UHF.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

This would be Jets luck you mean

14. K'OB

There is something about this picture that doesn't inspire confidence that he is an FQB in the making.

15. K'OB

A QB can play well and lose a game you know, even if we went 0-16 it wouldn't necessarily mean Sam had sucked, you could lose all games by a single score, unlikely but that scenario would exonerate him.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Channel 31? LMAO

17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

There may not even be a 2020 season OR it may be a shortened season.

And even if there is a 2020 season all these teams will (more than likely) have had no OTA, minicamp, training camp, preseason.

What if a player or players become infected during the season?

Uncharted territory for the NFL I think.

I doubt they play at all JMO too much uncertainty.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You can or you can lose your ass. That's the point of spreads. It's not an indication of the strength or weakness of teams, it's an indication of what the house thinks will create betting interest and the ability to cover the bets and make money.

Underdogs win about a third of the NFL games outright. Home underdogs of 3 points or less win almost 60% outright over the last 5 years, that could change on any given week. The other thing about the NFL is since the CBA very few teams are playing at a high level for the first 2 to 4 games. That's a big equalizer with a big spread early in the season. There's no real knowledge on how good or how bad the teams are.

Not that any of that means anything before knowing what these teams roster and chemistry will be before the season. The NFL is designed to create parity, the spreads are designed to create betting interest and a win for the house.

I'm not sure being an underdog means you're expected to lose. It just means the house will be able to cover the bets and make money. Meaningless in terms of actual wins and losses.

The lines are set for the general public to react to they don't indicate the actual strength or weakness of the teams particularly before and during the early season. That information doesn't reveal itself until late in the season.

After 4 or 5 games spreads could change dramatically. It really doesn't matter what pre-season spreads are. They will change.

Brook! likes this.
  19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I'm not a betting person but if this was available to bet I'd do it all day long. If they win 2 games (2 non-Dolphin games or win the home Dolphin game by more than spread and one other) it's a winning bet.

Any bettors out there know if this type bet can be made now?

20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

And if people start betting on the Jets the odds will change, pointing out how meaningless this all is. The spread is meant to protect the betting pool, not to predict who will win

Brook!, ColoradoContrails and Biggs like this.