Jets Fans Trying to Put Up Fire Idzik Billboard !!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Umphpool, Oct 28, 2014.

1. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Really? Why are you embarrassed of our fans? Without knowing your history, it sounds to me like you were very happy to have Geno Smith as your QB, Idzik as your GM and Rex still here coaching the team.

deathstar and matt robinson 17 like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This Fanbase has every right to be angry with the entire FO/CS. If we "suck" so badly, Woody should have moved the team to LA when he bought it. If we don't go along with the status quo, we suck? Is that so... We're still here after the buttfumble. We're still here after Kotite. We're still here after our yearly embarrassing game on National TV. We show up week after stinkin week for the honor of watching our team lose in the most innovative ways imaginable. Boy oh Boy, what an honor and privilege.

This Fanbase should be grateful for what exactly? 1-7? Paying premium prices for a clearly inferior product? Please help me understand why we should be thrilled with this team as presently constituted..

Maybe this Fanbase should treat the Jets like Cub fans treat the Cubs. Go to the stadium and treat the game like its a giant party of 80K. Just hang out and enjoy the ambience. Nothing really to look at on the field anyway so why not just hang out and enjoy. That way, it won't matter anymore if the Jets win or lose. It won't matter anymore just how bad this team is because at the end of the day, its not about the Jets anymore.. Just the MetLife experience.

Maybe that's better than giving a shit. At least the Fanbase will be so distracted that they won't boo the team anymore.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I never agree with this guy. But I agree with this.

I think the billboard thing is childish, but I have yet to see any fanbase that the Jets are a bad fan base, let alone the "worst in sports."

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Obviously I am not talking about every Jet fan, we have a million great fans but the fanbase in general is awful.

5. nyjunc

you don't pay premium prices for anything so you don't have the right to whine about that.

No one is saying the fanbase should be grateful for 1-7 but we had a new regime take over LAST YEAR. this regime shouldn't get lumped in w/ those of the past.

6. Cman68

You don't know what I pay for Junc so why don't you talk about shit you know about. If someone drops $60K or whatever that cost is on a PSL or buy a Season Ticket, that gives them the right to boo, bitch, or anything else they want to do. You and people like you don't have the right to tell anyone what to do or when to do it or what to think. You are not the judge of what a fan is or isn't.

There would be no reason for the New York Jets to exist in this market without fans to support it.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. nyjunc

but you didn't so stop whining about it.

PSLs guarantee NOTHING, season tickets guarantee nothing. winning is not a guarantee, if someone bought tickets/PSLs thinking that then that was their mistake.

it's asinine to talk about putting up a billboard to fire a man after a year 1/2 on the job but no one ever said Jet fans were smart.

APK 8 and MikeSLTJ23 like this.
  8. Cman68

I never said anywhere in this thread that the billboard was a good idea Junc. Check it if you got the time. If someone has 60grand to torch, he can certainly give me some of it. People don't pay that kind of money without some ROI emotionally or otherwise. If this team was showing progression instead of regression, I doubt if we'd be having this conversation at all. Blame fans all you want for a lack of patience but in a lot of cases, patience and potential will only buy you so much time before Results become the measuring stick. 6 years of Rex and 2 of Idzik and here we are in the middle of a Fan revolt.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, every GM makes mistakes and misses on picks, just like every human makes mistakes. I don't have a problem with that. That's why I didn't kill him for the Woodson signing, or the CJ2K, and Patterson signings. I agree that no one saw the Richardson pick coming and it was a great one. That said, the rest of that draft has been meh. The Jets had a definite need at CB, but in general, I think Alabama players are overrated, and wasn't really in favor of using yet another 1st round pick on a CB. That said, I thought it was a quality pick, and was relieved that Idzik didn't take yet another DT or an OG at that pick. I didn't know anything about Richardson, but liked what I read about him afterwards. I was disappointed that an OLB was not selected in the first round. Jarvis Jones was still available and I was pretty high on him. I thought Geno was a good selection in round 2. I thought he would pan out, but even if he didn't it was a good pick and wouldn't hurt the team that much if he didn't pan out. I like the Ivory trade and it was a good one for the team. The rest of the picks I knew nothing about, but it looks like Aboushi and Winters might be decent backups or marginal starters. That was not too bad for his first draft.

I don't blame him for not way overpaying for a FA CB this offseason, either. In fact, I've pretty vociferously defended him for that. I thought that it was wise to bankroll some cash to re-sign Wilkerson and other Jets, but in retrospect, think he perhaps went too far in that direction. I knew the Jets had a tough schedule this year, but there's no way I saw 1-7, especially the way they're at 1-7. There were other 2nd tier FA CBs he could have signed other than Patterson, however. A poster on here (I've forgotten who) said at the time he thought the Jets ought to sign a CB that had been with the Ravens. My problem with Patterson was his injury history. That by itself was not damning, but when combined with Milliner's being injured last season and hadn't shown that much development, and drafting McDougal in the 3rd round, who had missed most of last season with an injury, I thought it extremely poor to have the top 3 CB prospects all coming off injuries from last season, and none of them being a quality starter. I was tired of Cro's act and he had a horrific season last year, but that could have been due to his hip injury. Idzik had a lot more facts than I, and at least in retrospect, it seems that Cro should have been kept for insurance or a better FA CB signed. No one could foresee all the injuries the Jets have had at CB, but Idzik should have gotten better depth/insurance at that critical position.

At WR, he did sign Decker, but I've never been a big fan of Decker's. He is not a #1 WR and has dropped too many passes in the past. If Idzik didn't plan to draft one of the top WR prospects, then he should have signed another highly-ranked FA WR imo. Tate or Sanders are just two possibilities he could have signed. By the way, I didn't say that Idzik didn't draft a WR or address the WR position, just that in a great year for WRs, perhaps the best ever, he let ALL of the top prospects go to other teams. I thought that was a critical mistake.

No, I didn't expect a SB winner within 2 years, but as much as I dislike Rex, I didn't expect 1-7 this year, either. Our fan base may be over-reactive, but imo, considering our sorry history, and how ridiculously patient Woody has been with Rex, it is merited. Why shouldn't we be surprised to lose to Buffalo (and so badly)? While I didn't think Buffalo as bad as many here did, that was a great opportunity to stop the bleeding and the Jets shit the bed.

With Rex's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is incapable or unwilling to hold players and coaches accountable, to instill mental toughness and discipline intot he team, why in the world would you be ok with his coming back for another season? What would that accomplish, except more of the miserable same?

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree that Idzik deserves more than two years, but with the way he's handled the team this year, the lousy job Rex has done with the team, the way Idzik keeps going out of his way to effusively praise Rex, and when coupled with the team's sorry history and being at a critical juncture, I no longer trust him. If the timing wasn't so critical or the team's history so bad, I'd be more willing to be patient and give him another year or two, but not now. Having 12 draft picks this year was huge, and critical to the team's future. Some of the players may develop and pan out, but are you really willing to wait and see if the new CS will be any better at developing young players than the current one (if the present one is indeed gone, and with Woody calling the shots, that is in question)?

With regards to this year's draft, I didn't like it. I liked Pryor a lot, but there's no way I'd have taken him over either Brandin Cooks or Teddy Bridgewater. For that matter, I would rather he have traded down and taken either ASJ, Jordan Matthews or Marqise Lee than take Pryor that high. I thought the offense was a much higher priority/need than the D, even in spite of the problems in the secondary. I despised the Amaro pick. I didn't like it then and still don't. In taking Amaro, Idzik passed up on Attaochu, Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, Jimmy Garoppalo, and C.J. Fiedorowicz, players I was high on. I didn't know anything about McDougle. He has talent, but can he stay on the field and develop? I really liked Donte Moncrief, Chris Watt, Gabe Jackson and Dri Archer and would have preferred any of them over McDougle. I could go on in the other rounds, but you get my point. I just don't trust his judgment with regards to personnel and talent. He's a good administrator, football man and cap guru, but the main thing the Jets needed in their GM position was someone who was a great talent evaluator and Idzik just doesn't seem to be it. I'm not willing to waste one more draft in hopes that he'll get it right and some of the players who he has already drafted and haven't contributed much, will suddenly develop and turn into quality players. If none of the 12 picks he drafted this year turn into topnotch players or into solid, quality starters, then it will already cripple this team for the next 5 years or so. I'm just not willing to wait and hope. I've had 50 years of that and that is enough. I want results. I also don't trust Woody's judgement in the matter. He is too blinded by personality and friendship. IMO, he used better judgment in using a search firm, but then screwed it up by making it known that the new GM had to keep Rex, and hiring Idzik, who despite having had some experience with personnel and scouting, was mostly an administrator and cap guru. At the time, I would have been all in favor of hiring Idzik as the team President, but not GM. There were better qualified candidates (from a personnel experience background) that declined interviews and some of whom that did interview, and didn't get the job.

Just because Idzik has the right vision (of building through the draft and building a sustainable talent base and perennially competitive team), doesn't mean that he has the ability, talent or skill to successfully complete the vision.

10. nyjunc

The fans that are revolting are doing so after getting their wishes such as getting rod of Schottenheimer and Sanchez. Jet fans are getting what they deserve.

11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of the bill board idea but those t shirts are great. I've been rooting for and following this team since the NY Titans days. They are my hobby each and every autumn. I may disagree with other Jet fans but I certainly wouldn't question their loyalty. I may get angry and frustrated but come Sunday I'm rooting 100% for the Jets to win and I'm sure 99% of our fan base feels the same way. While I never liked the Idzik signing I was rooting for his success as well as Geno. Yes I turned against management and Geno but not my Jets.

12. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Look, I agree with you. I didn't want Pryor. I was very adamant that I don't want an in-the-box safety who's known for hard hitting when the league is penalizing that to the Nth degree. I've never been an Amaro fan either. I was in favor of Geno in the 2nd. I was the same as you with Richardson, and was intrigued at least. I wasn't crazy about Milliner either. But of all those guys, it's not like anyone was a crazy reach. You get past the 2nd round, and yes McDougle was a reach, but I was excited about the pick. A world of talent and film dedication. We need players like that...as long as they can get on the damn field. I was never that high on Decker either, but I think the WR market was similar to the CB market...fairly shitty. We got him for #2 money, and that's a plus. That's what he is. Sure, he could have overpaid for a CB, and maybe a couple guys went cheaper than expected. There are definitely holes on the team that could be filled, but at the same time, I don't want to lock up guys long term that are just patches to the temporarily fill the holes.

He came into a bad cap situation, and he's rectified it. IN TWO YEARS. We're a terrible football team this year, with terrible discipline. No one's questioning that. There's some bright spots, but very few. There's definitely pieces to build around, and we have the money to spend next year. I think he's missed on the draft so far as well, but he's made a couple solid picks too. And as everyone always says, you gotta wait till Year 3. So how do you crucify the GM in Year 2, if you won't even give his 1st draft 3 years, let alone his 2nd.

People want to call for Rex's head? Fine. It's been 6 years, and we're heading in the wrong direction in terms of wins and losses, and Rex's teams don't seem to learn from their mistakes (the biggest issue).

In my opinion, we keep Idzik 2 more years, but this year you give him the option: stick with Rex and co. or move on and bring in your own coach. Either way, you've got 2 more years to prove yourself, no excuses. That gives Idzik two years, Rex two years (or his new hire), and his 2nd draft will have 3 years under its belt. Plenty of time to assess where we're at. At that point, you clean house if things aren't going well. I'd even say if things were even worse next year (hard to do), I'd be okay with cutting bait then. But 2 years is just not enough, especially because he's really cleaned us up financially at the very least to start making some real moves.

13. MikeSLTJ23

This is where you and I have always disagreed. I think 4 years was enough to show Sanchez and Schotty weren't progressing as they should. With that said, I don't think 2 years is enough to label this next regime a failure already. Geno's showing me he's not ready, but to clean house on the FO is ludicrous to me. And I'm on board with you about our fan base. I don't think buying a ticket entitles you to be an asshole. I never understood the concept of booing your own team anyway. That supposed to light a fire?

14. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

That little slider at the bottom is actually quite funny.

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Junc, you are all over the place with your arguments, one minute you say you don't refer to all jet fans, and then you say jet fans are getting what they deserve, because BS and MS were let go. Its not like either of them is super bowl bound, post-jet careers.

I like MS and I think the jets and rex, did a terrible job of developing him, and they never replaced the weapons they lost, but that is the main reason the jets are in this position, the CS and the FO have put a terrible team on the field and SOME jet fans are going overboard with their negativity.

Junc, your better than that.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We're not that far apart. I wouldn't hate it and throw a conniption fit if Idzik is retained as long as Rex is gone. That said, if Idzik truly does like Rex and think he's doing a great job, then he's nuts and not qualified to be in the NFL, much less a GM imo.

Again however, I think the Jets' #1 need at GM is a great talent evaluator, someone who will do a consistently high level job with the draft, and many of his players will come in and contribute at a fairly high level in their first year. It seemingly happens with almost every other team other than the Jets. It may be solely due to the lack of ability on the part of Rex and his CS to develop young players. I guess to be fair, Idzik should be given a chance with a new CS in place, but it scares me that he has continued to praise Rex when he didn't have to.

There is also some appearance that perhaps Idzik intentionally undermined Rex this off season with his moves/lack of moves, so that Woody would be amenable to firing Rex. While Rex should be fired imo (and should have been before Idzik or the new GM was hired), if Idzik intentionally sabotaged/underminded the team in order to get Woody to approve firing Rex, then he should go too. I can understand his wanting to do that and perhaps being desperate enough to do it, I think it is a fireable offense if indeed that is what has happened.

Again, I see no option to keep Rex. Rex and his CS have to go. They really don't have a DC anyway. That is Rex. Mornhinweg obviously isn't that good. He only has looked good at times because his predecessors were so bad/incompetent. It's glaringly apparent to me now why Reid didn't take Mornhinweg with him to KC and why Mornhinweg failed so miserably in Detroit. This CS cannot develop young players or come up with adjustments. They need to go. That's not negotiable imo.

17. MikeSLTJ23

And I can understand that. We have to also think that maybe Woody is pulling some strings here with regards to what Idzik says about Rex. From what we know, he had to give Rex a year. He gave him a 2nd year. Who knows why. Maybe because he believes in him. Maybe Woody asked him to. At the end of the day, he has to answer to Woody, not the fans. The fans can call for his head all they want, but if he's doing what his boss asks of him, what choice does he have? I agree that he has to be a good talent evaluator and he hasn't proven that yet. But let's see what he's got for at least another couple of years. Rex has had 6, so I think calling for a new coach is justifiable. Maybe Idzik actually likes Rex, maybe he's too close to him now and maybe he's a "coach's GM" in the same way Rex is a player's coach. I don't know, but we have to wait to find out. If he wants to go down with Rex next season, then let that be his choice. I wouldn't can him for wanting to keep Rex or fire Rex, and I honestly wouldn't can him for putting a bad product on the field when he's barely gotten his feet wet and has made at least drastic financial improvements.

18. nyjunc

I am not all over the place, obviously I don't literally mean every single Jet fan, when referring to "Jet fans" I am referring to the fanbase in general. Hope this helps.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

20. nyjunc

I don't get it?