Jets Fans...Take a Deep Breath

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Belichick had a 36 and 44 record with Cleveland as Head Coach when Kraft stole him from the Jets. Hopefully Gase is going to be great and if he thinks Mac is a problem gets his ass fired.

LAJet likes this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Yea just like Marino, Rodgers and Brady. Nobody could see how great this kid is except a team with a solid veteran QB without the need who traded up to get him.

This is why we will never win a SB. This kid will be standing in our way for the next 15 years.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Hey Colorado, I think thanks might be in order for your compliment. While I remain hopeful, I'm probably older than most on this site. But my age will remain a secret. Hopeful yes, but not patient, so I fully embrace your last paragraph. This team needs to hit the ground running and show significant improvement and become a playoff contender in year one, or Gase and Mac need to walk out together hand in hand.
    Let us hope.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here we go again with the "hindsight".

There's a reason good teams remain good, and bad teams - like the Jets - are always struggling: foresight. If you have that, you don't need hindsight.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I mean the Bears are a pretty good team and they chose to trade up for Trubisky.

This of course is ignoring the fact that Mahomes stepped into the most perfect situation possible. Andy Reid, the best deep threat in the league who also happens to be the best playmaker in the league, a top 2 TE, a good OL, etc. You’re nuts if you think he’d be elite elsewhere.

6. Lets wait till next season when Defenses have a whole warm season to hone in on his tendencies.

I love(ed) Mahomes when he was coming out..even so Darnold is not a Consolation to anything as of right now.just like PM Hes his own unique animal & the sky’s the limit.

boozer32, BacktoQueens and FJF like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

But Belichick had a lot more experience than Gase, in roles besides HC, and had a chance to reflect on his failure in Cleveland, as well as learning under Parcells in the interim. Gase has nothing like this to rely on. And again, he has to rely on Macc to supply the groceries.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

You're blind if you don't think he'd be elite no matter where he played. Would he do as well elsewhere? Probably not, but he'd still be special, and if you can't see that, you don't know how to evaluate QB talent.

And as for the Bears passing on him, refer back to my comment about bad teams - they lack foresight.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Mahomes is the reason we will never win a SB? Are you serious?

I like Mahomes, but he may never win one, let alone the next 15.

He may give them a chance year after year though, which is all you can ask.
    I'm hoping Darnold gives us that chance as well.

10. BroadwayAaron

Put Mahomes on the 2018 Jets. They don’t win more than 8 games.

You’re being a bit dramatic here.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dilly Dilly!!

LAJet likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Mahomes on the Jets and they might've made the playoffs, even with Bowles and Bates.

But even if you were right, winning 8 games with that team and Bowles and Bates? That's proof of how good he is.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Marino rewind. He's a freak talent who was sitting right there for us when it filled a desperate need. Mistakes like that tend to have a generational impact.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He's a freak. He may be the Michael Jordan of the NFL.

15. BroadwayAaron

17 games into someone’s career, he’s being labeled the best player in the history of the NFL.

Might be time for me to give this thread a rest.

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding.

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I agree with you on a lot and disagree a decent amount too. I disagree with this specific hindsight/foresight debate.

Nobody imagined Mahommes being this good under the tutelage of a true QB whisperer in Reid. It's nice to see but if teams thought this highly of him, draft analysts, scouts, etc... he would've been picked number 1 overall without a second thought.

He wasnt viewed in that light. He wasnt even viewed as the best QB. I watched a lot of his tape in college and he did not play this well in college. He had a ton of potential but was very raw, that potential has clearly blossomed.

Foresight is always a great thing to have but sometimes you just cant see it because there isnt anything to see other than potential. Potential isn't automatic, it either come to fruition or it doesnt.

I cant fault that.. I think foresight is something that would be more applicable to someone like Sam Darnold.

Not, Mahommes.

Also, I'm no longer hopeful with, Mac.. I want to be, but, actions and results speak louder than words.

Overall. Not overly impressed. Sam Darnold does give me hope for the future of this team, at the same time, it's scary. In the wrong hands, he could squander away his immense potential to be great. I'm not so sure that wont happen with someone like Gase at the wheel.

We shall see..

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What's done is done. I like Darnold and believe he can become a very good QB. But if the Jets took Mahomes, they could've kept the three 2nd rounders used to trade up in 2018. Those picks along with the Jets 1st rounder could've been used to upgrade the OL, pass rush, skill positions, or trade down for more picks. Also, it's not hindsight if you thought the Jets should've taken Mahomes in 2017 before the pick was in.

19. ColoradoContrails

I've been a fan long enough and seen enough to know that the so-called "experts" are often wrong, but it amazes me how often they can miss what's obvious. And it's not just the Jets, though they're consistently in that category. You say you watched Mahomes's tape, so I'm curious how you could've overlooked the incredible arm talent, but even more, the way he could create things.- sidearm throws, left-handed throws, things I've never seen anyone else do. Add to that the fact that his father was a professional baseball player so he grew up learning how to be a pro athlete. I admit that I didn't predict this level of success so soon, but barring injury it was guaranteed that he would be great.

I see lot of talent and potential in Sam, but nowhere near as much as Mahomes. Whereas Mahomes can succeed in almost any situation, Darnold is going to need the right surrounding pieces, and if he gets those I believe he could be a SB winning QB, or at least the best Jets QB since Namath. So I share your concern about Sam not developing under Macc and Gase, and we can only hope he can overcome that or they rise above their track record.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I don't think many people are telling others "You have to like the Gase hire." What some (including me) are saying is that there is a total over-reaction on this board. Many people have been spouting like Miami was 14-34 over the last three years instead 23-25 with a playoff appearance. That is the definition of mediocre - not hang yourself territory.

Some want to totally disregard the fact that Tannehill (whatever you think of him) missed 50% of the games. Most want to give credit to McCarthy even though he coached one of the best QB's while not doing the same for Gase for his work with Manning (yes I realize one was a HC and one was an OC).

Look, I don't know if Gase will take the Jets to the playoffs in the near future. However, the "woe is me" / "Jets are the worst organization in the recorded sports history (except perhaps for some inept gladiator owner in Rome's first century BC)" attitude IMHO has been over the top.

Was Gase my first choice? Not really. My mostly uninformed opinion (like 95% of the people here) would rather have chosen Todd Monken - although he hasn't been a HC in the NFL. I would have even "been OK" with McCarthy as well.

While I have my doubts about Gase I realize that every candidate has positives and negatives. There are no such thing as a perfect HC candidate.

It just seems to me that the majority of the board only focused on the negatives without looking at the other side.