Jets Draft Grocery list by need

Discussion in 'Draft' started by york61, Feb 10, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Neither you or I know that. What we do know for a fact is that QB is a more important position than OT and we are currently less talented at QB than OT.

I said RT because we have both Becton and his OL coach on record as saying he will not move to RT. Maybe it's you who needs to do more research.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

really? LOL did you even watch a game this year.

Fine, then let Becton sit and not get paid. all hypothetical bud.
    Swell grades out better then Becton BTW and we already saw Becton's injury concerns last year.

I'm sure the Packers and the 49ers were upset they drafted Aron Rodger and traded for Steve Young when they had Favre and Montana....

3. REVISion

You realize Sam was statistically the worst starting QB in the league this year, right? And that he has the lowest passer rating in the NFL over the last 3 years? Was Fant the worst RT in the league? Was Becton the worst LT in the league?

You're pretty high on Sewell considering you can't even spell his name correctly.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. RochesterJet

Nobody here is arguing that Sam wasn't bad. What I am saying is, your boy Wilson has a better chance of busting then Penei does. Just like Sam did VS Q. Nelson.

Penei is about as close to a can't miss as Nelson was coming out.

I personally would like to reset the QB payment clock and Draft a QB this year. Not Wilson @ 2 but a trade down and snag Lance while stockpiling picks. Our roster kinda sucks incase you didn't notice.

5. REVISion

As I've said before, I don't care even if Sewell is more likely to succeed. The benefit we'd get going from the worst QB to even an average QB is a lot more than the benefit we'd get going from middle of the road at OT to above average at OT.

You still haven't laid out why Becton would willingly move to RT also. Again, he has indicated he would not be in favor of doing so and his OL coach has flat out said he wouldn't move him to RT. With that in mind it's likely that any OT we'd draft would be going to RT, and you can find good RT's much later in the draft than #2 overall. It would be horrendous value to select one at #2.

The question is not just "would Sewell be a good RT?" Of course he likely would. The question is if it's worth it to select him for that at #2 when you could probably get 80% of his production there at 20% of the cost later in round 1 or in round 2.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no maybe about it.

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

The fact that anyone would want to either move Becton to RT or trade him is simply mind boggling. Yeah, the Jets can't have nice things and we shouldn't try to draft a great QB because we'll just miss, so let's draft OL and anything but a QB. We'll just take any old QB at some point and then won't be disappointed when he's awful. The lack of knowledge and the mind set of some Jets fans is truly sad.

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Please remind me, how many Superbowl wins does golden boy Deshawn Watson have?

Dan Marino?

Jin Kelly?

Fran Tarkenton?

If you weren't paying attention our backup QB, Joe Flacco took his former team to the promised land.

Without good guards we will not be able to run or pass well enough to move the chains no matter who is playing QB.

RochesterJet likes this.
  9. James Hasty

Funny how we were able to not only pay Brick and Mangold but Faneca and other quality linemen.

If we are building around Becton and Sewell it shouldn't be too hard to keep both players happy.

ZachMFWilson and RochesterJet like this.
  10. RochesterJet

Since you're so knowledgeable, What about when you reach for Wilson or that clown in your avatar? What happened when we missed on Sanchez and Sam (traded draft capital for both as well)?

Missing on a QB at 2 or 3 or 5 has consequences for 3-5 years. You can only play and pay 1 QB you know...And you can pay and play 2 tackles....

I'm not saying Sewell should be the pick (I prefer trading back in the 5-8 range and acquiring draft capital for years to come). The Jets are not a QB away buddy...Maybe you've been playing too much Madden to really understand how a great team is built.

To me the only real reason to draft a QB this year is to reset the QB salary we wasted with Sam (by not having and talent around him). But you seem to want to make the same mistakes...Super knowledgeable I see...Pathetic

ZachMFWilson likes this.
  11. REVISion

Good teams with bad QB's are the exception, not the rule. Go look at the teams that have won Super Bowls over the last 20 years. Literally about 90% of them had very good-elite QB's.

It's possible to win a Super Bowl without a good QB but it's very unlikely, and you have to get just about everything else right on the team to do it.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. REVISion

Your argument basically boils down to "it's bad if your QB busts". Obviously. No one is denying that. That doesn't mean you never draft QB's though. Your chances of getting a good one, in general, are better the higher you draft one. The Jets have had some historically bad GM's over the last decade.

The Jets are not a QB away but a QB isn't the only thing we'll be adding to the team over the next two years. We have a ton of cap space and a ton of high, premium draft picks even without trading back again.

matt robinson 17 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. James Hasty

Please name the teams that won a Superbowl with below average starting guards.

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we let the picks fall as scheduled

1.2 - QB
    1.23 - WR/Edge/G/CB
    2.34 - WR/Edge/G/CB
    3rd - WR/Edge/G/CB
    3rd - WR/Edge/G/CB
    4th - TE/C/S
    5th - TE/C/S
    6th - TE/C/S

15. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

The Chiefs built a quality team around a couple serviceable QBs over the years. They waited for the right opportunity to get their fqb and pounced when the time was right. They even had him sit for the 1st year like back in the day. How did that turn out?

The Bucs built a quality team around a mistake prone qb. They waited for the right opportunity to get their star qb thru free agency. Did you hear only 2 or 3 teams were even jockeying for tb12? How did that turn out?

A couple years ago we drafted and put a highly touted college qb behind a loose OL and surrounded by a mediocre team. How did that turn out?

I think we all agree the best case scenario isnt realistic but within the realistic strategies, there are ones that work and ones that don’t.

James Hasty likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

The Chiefs got lucky. Almost all of the teams that were picking in front of them went brain dead, and they were able to trade up to take Mahomes. One cannot count on "luck" to be able to get a QB. The right way to build is to take the QB when you have the chance, and then you build around him. Enough with this dumb nonsense of building the team first then finding the QB.

Also, how often do quality QBs make it to FA? Not very often. So the Jets are supposed to sit around 3, 5, 10 years waiting on a FQB who is in his late 30s or early 40s to shake free, then have a 1-3 year window at winning? Totally stupid.

#56 NCJetsfan, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  17. REVISion

Sounds a lot like what some people here want us to do with Darnold.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Calling Wilson and Fields "reaches" and Fields a "clown" shows how ignorant you are. You know nothing about them or how to evaluate a QB, yet you have an opinion. Comparing Sanchez and Sam with them is laughable. Neither Sam nor Sanchez were as good a prospect as both Wilson and Fields are. Neither Fields nor Wilson have the problem with TOs that both Sanchez and Sam had and still have. Both Wilson and Fields are far more accurate than either Sam or Sanchez. Both Wilson and Fields are more athletic/mobile than Sanchez. Both Wilson and Fields make better decisions, and are more accurate on deep passes than either Sam or Sanchez.

Answer your own question. It's ironic that you accuse me of wanting to make the same mistake when you are the one who intentionally wants to make the same mistake, i.e., have to trade up for a QB, rather than just taking one where one drafts. To answer your question, yes, it hurts when you draft a QB and he fails, just as it does when you draft any player in the 1st or 2nd round and he proves to be a bust. It would hurt a lot less, however, to take a QB at #2 and have him not pan out, than it would to trade up from 15 or 20, burn a lot of draft capital, and then have him not pan out.

You and those who think like you (and I use that term lightly) are the ones who are advocating repeating history (not even accidentally, but intentionally doing it!)...Mac passed on Mahomes and Watson in 2017, then had to trade up in 2018. We wound up with a far inferior QB and wasted a lot of draft capital (a 1st and 3-2nd round picks). Not only is your approach backwards, and ignorant, but it's cowardly. There are risks in taking any player in the 1st round, especially in the top 5. Nothing great is ever built by playing it safe. It takes courage, and calculated risks along the way.

The only NFL teams that build first and then get their QB are the ones who had no choice, i.e., they didn't get a chance to draft a QB they liked or couldn't find someone willing to trade down with them, or they couldn't trade for one, and no topnotch QBs were available in FA. NFL teams look to find their QB, and when they have the chance to take a QB they really like and think can be a FQB, they take him. They don't say, "Oh, he might not pan out. We had better build the team first, and then look for a QB." That's just flat out stupid! It's ignorant of how the NFL works; it's ignorant of how difficult it is to find a FQB; it's ignorant of the importance of QB; it's ignorant of the talent of this QB draft class; and it's ignorant of the fact that after a team is built up they wind up drafting lower, and there's even less chance of getting a FQB, unless they are lucky enough to find a team willing to trade down. Even if they are lucky enough to find a team willing to trade down, they then have to burn a lot of draft capital to move up to take that QB. No NFL GM operates hoping for "luck" as a basis for getting his QB.

Passing on taking a QB when there are several excellent prospects that will be sitting there at our pick, waiting and then having to trade up, for probably what would be the 2nd, 3rd or maybe even 4th best QB in a draft is totally stupid and the worst possible move JD could make. It's a fireable offense. It's a waste of draft capital and at best, one would most likely wind up with a lesser QB, if he even panned out at all.

No one said the Jets are just a QB away. That is a assinine comment to make. With all the draft picks the Jets have and cap space with which to sign FAs, they could still build a team around Watson if they trade for him, but drafting a QB at #2 they would have 18 other draft picks in the next two drafts to build around the new QB, plus whatever they get for trading Sam. If JD trades down from #23 or #34, he'll have even more. It's flat out ridiculous and laughable to make a statement like "The Jets are not a QB away." No one who is aware of the facts would make such a ridiculous statement.

It's laughable that you accuse me of actring like I'm playing Madden, when I've never played Madden, and you're the one who's acting that way wanting to trade down and get even more draft picks. Listen to your own words. This isn't Madden. There will only be so many players that the Jets will be able to re-sign in 4-6 years from now, and you're wanting to add more draft picks. The team is also in better shape than you give it credit for. The idea of trading down and getting a haul of draft picks is what is Maddenesque, unrealistic, and immature. You and the others who keep suggesting this sound like you're 12-13 years old.

Thank God you're not the GM of the Jets.

#58 NCJetsfan, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    REVISion likes this.