Jets Draft Grocery list by need

Discussion in 'Draft' started by york61, Feb 10, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's your opinion, not fact. Some of us think otherwise.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We need to come out of the first round with two of the best players to ever play the game (or as close as we can get). We need supreme talent on full display on the field. Players that make other players go "WOW...did you see that??? DANG!!!" Someone the other players can get behind and play harder for.

Drafting #2 overall is a rare opportunity. Got to get a true dog there. WR Devonte Smith is at the top of the list. Now, if we ONLY had our #2, then maybe trade down a touch, miss out on the best player, but pick up another 1st round pick. But we have Jamal's pick at 23, so we could actually afford to stay put at #2. Miami will certainly snag Devonte Smith at #3., so if JD wants to juice up our WR core for the next decade with a true #1, 2000 yards per season WR, then his player is sitting right there. Devonte will be a very difficult player to pass on (or to cover!).

At 23 grab the best TE Kylr Pitts if he's there, or the best DB Surtain III if he's there, or the best Edge, or the best QB. Whichever one it is, MUST be the best. Not just the 2nd or 3rd best player at a position of need.. Imagine 1f JD goes bold and takes Devonta Smith at 2, then maybe the board falls unexpectedly (it does every year) and Zach Wilson is the last QB standing at 23.

JD isn't just building a roster by plugging holes. He's building a dynasty.

For once lets get blown away and very excited for the 2021 season after just the first round!

#22 Footballgod214, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    westiedog1 likes this.
  3. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Have you seen our roster?

I think there is such a thing.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Ptflea2 likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I like the first part, Smith, yes! Can't get on board with the second part. In keeping with your pronouncement in the first paragraph "get the best" which I agree with, I feel the later pick at 23 can accomplish that by taking an RB either Harris or Etienne. Besides, you're more likely to get the best if you go RB here. If your going to go QB in round 1 then you need to draft him at #2, to be sure you are getting the best guy. All QB's are risky, even Lawrence. Taking a top RB, which is less risky, takes the pressure off the Jets QB whoever he may be, and that is something desperately needed. Taking Pitts does little to solve that issue as defenses will continue to apply pressure on the QB while not worrying too much about the Jets running game. Surtain would be a nice pick at 23, if the Jets didn't need so much help on offense. Taking an Edge at 23 is also risky. Good edge rushers are very rare, if they are any good they would most likely be off the board by pick 15. Just because they have the word "edge" next to their name doesn't mean they are any good, as the Jets should well know by now.

6. Footballgod214

All good points.

I take into consideration the length of a player's career when taking 1st round picks. A RB (on average) last about 4 seasons. But an offensive lineman can play at a high level 10 years or longer.

But ya, I probably didn't think out 23 as far as I should have. I just don't know who the 'super talented' players are who might still be around at 23. Picking in the top 5, YES, we should be able to get a generational player who can help change our fortunes for years. But picking at 23? We can probably a really good player (or luck out and get Mangold, etc).

But that top 5 pick, holy cow I hope we get a superstar. I get we may have to use it on a 50/50 toss up FQB. That's the breaks. But if JD goes with Sam, I want at STAR at #2!

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

8. Kevin Randall

Kevin Randall Member

And its also funny that when people argue against trading for Watson, its because it'll take "ALL our picks". Not 3 firsts, or 2 firsts a second and a third, or 2 firsts and a player. No. It'll take ALL OUR PICKS. As if its going to take ALL OUR PICKS ( their words, not mine ) rounds 1 to 7 inclusive over the next year or two.

NCJetsfan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The GM has the Draft Capital to take a swipe a at young superstar D Watson ...surely JD will not make a crazy deal that leaves rest of the positions of need un filled

Posters should just take a breath, a step back and let our very competent GM do his thing

Come March and before the draft we will see if a Deal can be be made for DW

When the dust clears we can have a different discussion

The OP is a bit of a nervous Nellie

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Going BPA is what ruined this team. "BPA within Needs" is how to build a team properly. That doesn't mean that you still don't have the flexibility to skip over your top Need because there are no players at that position that are worth that pick.

For example, this year most of us would say QB is the #1 Need, but if Douglas doesn't think any of the QBs are worth that pick he might either take a different position - the "next greatest need" - or trade back.

Maccagnan was BPA All Day Every Day. Taking a Safety when there were two highly rated QBs available and he needed a QB should've resulted in his firing before he made another pick. But just to underscore how clueless the Johnsons are, not only did they not fire him, they extended him!

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Are you always drunk when you post?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Footballgod214 likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

got me. sometimes toked, sometimes drunk, sometimes both. Conditions will most likely last till end of pandemic.

what's ur excuse?

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Our number one need is at guard.

If we do not upgrade the position we will fail.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're leaving out the "relative impact" of each position. We needed a Safety in 2017, but Safety is nowhere near as impactful as QB (or Edge or LT or CB or WR). We do need a Guard (or 2), but we need to upgrade the QB position, whether we do that by resurrecting Darnold, or by the draft, or by trading for Watson or another vet, it has to be done. We can also try to fill the G position via FA.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

So to your point, we could take Wilson @2 and he could be a bust QB.

And do some research, Penei Swell is rated as one of the best LT's in years..

The Jet's had the opportunity to pick Allen you know...Look how he developed when the Bills acquired Diggs, Beasley, and John Brown

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We currently have the worst starter at by far the most important position in the game. We couldn't possibly need anything more than a QB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. REVISion

Oh wow, a QB could bust. I hadn't considered that. Let's just stick with a guy we know has been the worst in the league over the last 3 years. Smart.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. RochesterJet

I think you missed the point here bubbers. did you or did you not post this?
    We are now comparing the best LT taken in years VS a potential bust QB
    But you want to take the higher BUST potential?

I don't agree, and that's okay!

You're comparing a bust QB with the best guard taken in years. If the Jets had gotten to pick Mayfield or Allen we'd be a far better team than we are today. This is cherry picking x1000.

19. REVISion

Sewell could easily bust as well, and we have a far greater need at QB than at RT. Both because QB is a far more important position and we are relatively more talented at RT than at QB currently.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. RochesterJet

Wilson has a far better chance at busting then Swell...Just like Sam did Nelson....the original conversation we were having...

PS-Swell is a franchise LT, not RT as you say