Jets Draft Grocery list by need

Discussion in 'Draft' started by york61, Feb 10, 2021.

1. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Ok for everyone on trading Sam please get over it. The Jets have so many needs it is inane to talk about trading all our draft capitol for Watson when they have so many needs. I think the jets should try to trade down with the panthers which would give them an additional 2 and 3 round pick for this year plus an additional 2nd for next year. That would give the jets #8 and 23 in the first round. The 34th and 39th pick in the 2nd round and 66th, 73 and 87th pick in round 3. They would also get the 2nd round pick of the Panthers next year.

I am not going to go through all th players because lets face it no one knows who will be available on draft day. That being said I believe this should be the order

OT
    WR
    Edge Rusher
    CB
    Guard
    S
    LB

Sewell for OT could be available at 8 especially with all the QBs being taken early. Chase probably won't be available at 23 so I would take Moore out of Purdue. He runs a 4.3 40 and I prefer speedy wide outs. Those are the picks along with an edge rusher that to me are the most important.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sewell won't make it past the Bengals. You'd be looking at Slater as the second tackle taken.

I don't like Moore at all. If you watch Purdue or even some of his highlights, he's not really a pure receiver. He's in that the Tavon Austin mold. It's a bit more applicable in the modern day NFL than when Austin was first drafted because offenses run a lot more gadget plays now (sweeps, reverses, quick screens) than they did even when he was drafted. But I don't see him as a pure NFL receiver because he's not very strong through the point of contact.

I'd reverse it if this is the route we go although I want to take a QB at 2. I'd look to take Waddle at 8, and then take one of the tackles at 23 (Leatherwood, Eichenberg, etc.). Edge might be the pick at 23 though depending on how the board falls. It's a really deep offensive tackle draft.

3. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

If they trade back to 8 they better be getting a 1 next year.

apjbfc, REVISion, Noam and 2 others like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't possibly disagree more. IMO it is not inane to trade for Watson. Taking an OT with their 1st pick and not a QB would be awful, and about the worst possible move they could make imo. Using 4 out of 7 picks on defense, when the offense is in much worse shape than the D would be awful. The main reason that most of the posters who don't want to trade for Watson or draft a QB is that they think the Jets need to build up the offense around the QB first. In your scenario, I'm assuming that Sam would still be QB. The way you would handle the draft would give him no chance what so ever, and you're making the same dumb mistake that Mac made, except at least you're taking an OL and WR high, but you're still not really building the offense around the QB. You're attemptiong to build the D, but obviously don't realize that it's not really a good draft for either Edge Rusher or CB, and so would be basically wasting the two second round picks, when better offensive players would be available

There's also no way that Sewell would be available at #8. I really suggest that you do some research.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

So after all of this you still advocate drafting a left tackle when that is probably the one spot on the entire squad we actually don't have a need.

If you don't understand that Becton will not want to move to RT for monetary reasons and the perceived insult from downgrading from left to right, then?

Plus he is bound for Cincinnati as it stands.

apjbfc, Mogriffjr, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I love when people here give an opinion, then say, all we gotta do is trade this and that to yada yada for their whole family's fortune for the rest of time, and then we'll be good!

NYJetsO12, westiedog1, twown and 3 others like this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah... if these other teams would just cut the crap and actually turn over the family fortune for the rest of time this NFL thing would get a lot easier.

NCJetsfan and NYJalltheway like this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

QB

Guard
    Edge rusher
    RB
    WR
    LB
    CB

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Drop RB to the bottom and I would agree with the rest, maybe a WR with #23 or with one of the trade backs from when he auctions the #2

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Drafting for need means reaching for inferior players.

We could use help almost anywhere so the Jets are the last team that needs to pee their pants thinking about how any player fits a need.

FJF, Pepsiguy5 and BacktoQueens like this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

This.
    Use FA to address needs, and then draft best talent available, not the other way around.

In regards to the OP, I would be very happy if Sewell were the pick.
    i think both he and Becton can play either T position.
    Bookends on the line, and insurance at the most important offensive position outside of QB.
    He won’t last to #8 spot tho. Have to take him before Cincy at latest.

#11 BacktoQueens, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Better have options in place at every one of those positions BEFORE the draft.

Then select the best players available especially in high rounds of draft.
    The draft is about the long game, not necessarily 2021.

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

1. QB
    2. IOL
    3. Pass Rusher
    4. CB
    5. WR
    6. RT
    7. RB

2, 3, 4 and 5 can probably go in any order depending on how the best players shake out in the draft.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think drafting for need is somewhat important because some positions are inherently more important for getting wins than others. It's all relative, of course. If positions are equally impactful of course it makes sense to take the better player. I hate BPA though because it gives 0 consideration to the differing importance and impact of various positions.

A good QB does a hell of a lot more for your team than an elite G or DT for example. Same with a good edge rusher vs. an elite guy anywhere else except QB.

15. James Hasty

We traded up for Sam Darnold believed by many to be the best QB in his class.

The Colts moved down three spots and took guard Quenton Nelson at #6 overall.

While the Darnold pick had higher upside the Colts focused on value.

Meanwhile the Jets and Darnold were lucky not to go 0-16 this past year.

RochesterJet likes this.
  16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

And people saying we should just trade act like it doesn't take two to tango.

It's also funny when people use the draft chart that just assigns some arbitrary number to a draft pick without considering context (OP didn't do this but it's been done before).

NYJalltheway likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

You're comparing a bust QB with the best guard taken in years. If the Jets had gotten to pick Mayfield or Allen we'd be a far better team than we are today. This is cherry picking x1000.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. James Hasty

No it really isn't.

Quenton Nelson went at 6 (which guards rarely do) because everyone knew he was the real deal.

Sam Darnold may or may not be a bust.

He has had few receivers who could both stay healthy and get separation.

Additionally he has had to run for his life as we failed to protect him.

Quarterback in round one is always going to be a crapshoot.

Offensive line is generally a pretty safe bet.

RochesterJet and NYJalltheway like this.
  19. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

For the Darnold believers out there. I get it. Although a trade to 8 better include a first and second round pick as well as #8 at minimum.

We better not take Sewell. So move our LT and then have to pay them both in five years and be spending 45+ a year on two tackles.

I'd rather us draft a tackle in the third and spend first and seconds on bpa needs.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

20. James Hasty

There is not such thing as BPA needs.

Either you take the best player or you pass on him to reach for a lesser player to fill one of your needs.

barfolomew likes this.