Jets doing homework on trading up

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

People may dump on me, but maybe it's good that Douglas didn't cut Winters now.....

2. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Stay put and take Bector!!!! Praying he slips.

3. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Draft Day Scenarios

WORST CASE SCENARIO:

We end up giving up picks to move up in this draft. We need depth and this doesn't do it.

LOUSY SCENARIO:

The DT's and QB's end up dropping and top WR and OT are off the board. We end up having to settle for our third choice at WR or reach for a OT.

MEDIOCRE:

All the OT's are gone and we can't trade down so we just get the best WR on our board. No sure OT's after first round.

GOOD SCENARIO:

We get the 2nd or 3rd best OT on our board and fits value at our pick, and address WR in the second.

BEST SCENARIO:

Trade back a few picks and get two mid rounders, draft a good WR and address Oline depth later through quantity.

I am really hoping WORST case scenario doesn't play out--but it looks like Miami is going after an OT now and QB could be dropping. DT's always seem to drop because they are losing value in the NFL. Mark my words that defensive tackles are going to become the new half backs in the draft....don't touch until round two.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Do you really think the Giants would take Herbert? I don't. Surely Miami isn't that dumb.

5. NCJetsfan

Excellent point

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Bector? Damn near killed er!

7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Shaping up to be an interesting draft.

If the top 3 OT’s are gone + reading into Joe D’s latest comments - “draft depth absolutely is factored in” - WR is the deepest position (so rule out the top 3), he doesn’t believe in combine wonders and wants dogs (rule out Becton who failed a drug test and is said to have weight + back issues)...

So where does that leave us? Here’s a guy no one is talking about but would fill a need and the Jets met with him a week ago -

K'LAVON CHAISSON

8. NCJetsfan

No. He's very athletic, but very raw. Edge rush can wait until a middle round or next year. The #1 pick has to be used on offense. End of story.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jones is going mid-1st. Jackson could go anywhere from mid-1st to mid 2nd. I doubt he gets past the Jets 48 pick if the Jets didn't go OT on the 11.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Plenty of teams have him in their sights, the OT in this years draft are good long term players hence why they are getting so much attention. Burrows going 1, then four offensive tackles being taken, still leaves Tua, Chaisson, Brown, Lamb, Jeudy, Ohkuda, Herbert, Chase Young.

I believe Lamb will be Jets selection if the 4 OT are off the board.

I really hope Jets stay away from Chase Young, he is not as good as the hype. He had 2 great games where he had 7 sacks but all of a sudden he is treated like the next Khalil Mack.

11. NCJetsfan

After thinking about this some more, something occurred to me. Douglas may have signed Fant as depth/insurance thinking a) he could sign more FAs if he went a little cheaper and b) he would get one of the top 3 OTs in the draft. Maybe he was banking on the rookie starting at LT and Fant at RT. Now that it appears the top 3 OTs will be gone, he may be thinking he has to trade up to get one of the 3 top OTs. Maybe he doesn't like Becton. Maybe he has spoken with Beacham and Beacham wants too much money or to be guaranteed the starting LT job, or after speaking with the Redskins, he realizes that he won't be trading for Williams. Maybe he miscalculated and is thinking he now has to trade up to insure that Sam's blindside is protected. If that is the case, I'll understand and accept it. He is in a tough spot with so many needs, not enough cap space and his philosophy is to go for value. He could be really torn, but trying to do all that he can.

I hope he won't trade up, but if what is best for the team is getting that #2 or #3 OT, then I'll be OK with it. LT is one of the 3 positions I would trade up for after all. Still, I'd rather he trade down for Jones, and then if he's not happy with Jones' progress/potential following this season, look to draft another LT next year, and play Jones at RT.

LAJet likes this.
  12. SoylentGreen

Spoken like a fan who is tired of defensive picks (I get it, I’m sort of there myself)...

Still, the Jets biggest needs are OT, WR, Edge and CB...

What rounds they fill these spots means little vs. hitting on each pick. Maybe we have a good GM with a solid draft strategy for once, it might not be as clear cut as we all think it will go -

Perhaps it’s irrational to reach for an OT at pick #11 (if none of the top 3-4 on your board are still around) and maybe you don’t take a WR at pick# 11 if you really feel it is the deepest position in the draft and starters who grade well can be found later.

We may have to consider the board not falling the Jets way to selecting an offensive player...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. SoylentGreen

I was anti defense but if none of the top tackles are around then I’m ok with it. I don’t love Young either... he scares me + I think he has high bust potential.

Here’s some more controversial ideas I have - I’m ok with passing on WR until rd.3.... there’s more than one way to build a team... a TE like Cole Kmet in rd. 2, who can be used like Kittle/Kelce OR a stud RB like Dobbins/Taylor might help this team more than a WR. I think Bell looks about done (Powell looked a lot more explosive and he’s about done himself)...

14. SoylentGreen

I’ll be pissed if the Jets trade up for an OT...
    I mean I get it, but too many needs + nothing worse than having obvious holes before the season starts and a lack of depth (like last year!)...

15. NCJetsfan

True.

Actually there are two edge rushers I like in this draft. Josh Uche, who will probably go in the 2nd and Aldon Robinson, who will either go late 3rd or in the 4th. My preference is Robinson. He didn't develop this year as many thought he would, but he has an explosive first step, is athletic and fast. He needs to refine his technique and develop some additional moves, but he could develop into a topflight rusher in a year. I don't think Uche or any other Edge in this draft outside of Young and Chaisson has a chance to develop into a topflight pass rusher. I also think the first 3 picks should be offense: either OT, WR, WR or WR, OT, WR. They can use the second 3rd round pick on Robinson or another OL. I'm hoping that Douglas will sign Ryan and either not use a pick on a CB this draft, or draft one in the 5th or 6th round. Then in the 4th through 6th rounds, I'd like to see Douglas take a QB (preferably Anthony Gordon), a gadget WR/RB like Antonio Gibson or Lynn Bowden, Jr., a PR/KR with some juice (Bowden returns kicks) or Joe Reed, and either a P or K.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd rather get Brycen Hopkins if we're going TE in round 2. But, something tells me Douglas won't go in that direction.

17. NCJetsfan

I get it. I won't be happy about it, but I'd rather Douglas do that and insure we have a good young OT prospect to help protect Sam, than wind up not getting an OT in this draft or one who may never be an above average starter. I could live with it if Douglas signs Beacham or Peters after the draft, and maybe even trading a conditional pick from the 2021 draft for Williams. But imo we cannot go into the season with the OTs we have on the roster now as the only OTs.

18. SoylentGreen

Pretty funny because all my mocks simulations, I’m doing exactly as you state and doubling up OT/IOL and WR first 3-4 rds...

I expect the Jets to take a Qb at some point. The guy I like is James Morgan (big arm) but I suspect he goes a bit earlier than most think he will.

Antonio Gibson has been on my radar and has the best highlights of just about anyone in this draft.

This draft has a lot of athletic skill guys... I’ll be disappointed if the Jets have their usual vanilla type of draft this year...

And yeah I agree OT is a must in rd. 1 or 2...

19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Jets won’t be able to even sniff Chase Young - he’ll be loooong gone.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If the top four OTs are off the board don’t be surprised if JD trades down just enough to pick up an extra third and still be able to select Jones......I’d rather he do that then give up valuable picks moving up.

NCJetsfan likes this.