Jets doing homework on trading up

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 22, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

On the other hand, you also have no idea if any of those guys will be as good as Jeudy or Lamb. So considering neither of us know the answer, why wouldn't we go with what the experts are saying? I like Higgins a lot, I like Pittman a lot, I like Claypool a lot. I would take Lamb at 11 before praying any of those guys are there in the 2nd or giving up draft capital to move up and get them at the end of the first.

I gotta say, you are literally the only person I've seen imply that taking a WR, a MASSIVE position of need, at 11 is a waste of a pick.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

That’s a dumb assumption but okay.

3. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Because there's far less of a drop off in talent then in other positions....you aren't getting a plug and play lineman, rusher, or corner at 48...you want 2 starters or a starter and a project?

4. BroadwayAaron

I'm perfectly fine with going OT at 11 and WR in the 2nd and 3rd (yes, both). That's not the issue here. The gripe is with the asinine notion that drafting the best player at your second biggest position of need with the 11th pick is a waste of a pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

well a waste may be a poor choice of word I just think it would be a mismanagement of assests when you have 10 holes to fill.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I like both Lamb and Jeudy, and would definitely want them to take one of them at 11 if a desirable OT isn't there, or JD doesn't get a very good trade down offer, but this might also affect the calculus:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/are-nf...jeudys-knee-ahead-of-2020-nfl-draft/313319978

Maybe Jeudy is available a few spots later if JD trades back?

7. BroadwayAaron

I saw this. I feel like this is a designed leak because according to the docs Jeudy is completely fine. Raiders maybe?

8. ColoradoContrails

Could be, but it is a documented injury and no one - not even experts - can say for sure if something like that can cause problems going forward, especially in a big contact sport like football. If it were me, this would probably tip the balance towards Lamb or even Ruggs.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. dawinner127

I follow this guy on twitter for a lot of news related injuries and updates throughout the season. He’s really good and quite accurate.

twown, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Thanks. Confirms my concern.

11. dawinner127

I also just saw this so well see ..

12. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Ki
    yeah - the brain surgeon Gettleman is doing some next level gming (nope)

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree it would terrible wasting capital trading up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

If using a 3rd gets you high enough to land somebody you grade out as a long-term LT, you do it.

BacktoQueens and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is interesting. Would Douglas be fine with Bechton if he drops to #11? Or does he want to move up for one of the other 3? If all 4 are gone, does he go with Lamb or Jeudy? Exciting times!

16. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I am not shocked. Back in the beginning of February, it was only the big 3 OTs. Becton came on strong around the combine and after the combine. I don't even think he was considered a top 50 pick after the season into early 2020.

WW85, almbleamal and The Dark Knight like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nope, I ain’t buying into any BS Trap about moving up in the first. Miami, Tampa, Arizona, whomever go at it. That is a sucker move for us and don’t want any part of it. We can sit pretty ay 11 and a stud BPA at a position of need (non the less) will fall right on our laps. If all OTs are gone a WR will be there, if the WRs are also gone then the top CB is there. Who the hell knows, but if Washington trades down and every one goes gaga on offense Chase might even be there for many to jump on. Who the hell knows. In fact if all top OT are gone the next trade wave for WRs will start and we can trade down some, get more ammunition and then trade backup if a great OL is there in the second with our two sweet spots.
    There will be plenty of talent in the later part of the first, the second and third round for JD to thrive. God GMs do well in the heart of the draft and the more picks the better.
    The tackle class is very good with some caveats, not meritorious of a trade up for us. I’ll keep my pulse on free agency for one more OL move if that is the case.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The best move would be down some and pickup a Josh Jones or Austin Jackson plus some additional picks.

Trading up for Bekton exposes us to many risks, not least of which is the guy is going to be in the drug program at the start of his career. Trading up for Andrew Thomas exposes us to the fact that he's a good tackle not a great one and the loss of additional picks is likely to make the deal bad at the start. Trading up for anybody else just puts too many eggs in a basket that has a frayed handle.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Is there a way to draft Lamb or Jeudy then package the #48 pick and to move back up to pick Jones or Jackson or do you think they are going mid-1st?

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL you won't see that because it won't be happening. If he explains why he traded up and it makes logical sense, I'll understand. I won't be happy, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, although I'll lose a little trust in him.

Imagesrdecieving and NYJFOREVER like this.