Jets [do not trade] for Panthers OT Jeff Otah *CUT BY PANTHERS*

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mantana Soss, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm not sure what he can achieve in 7 days. Lose two pounds? Empty his bowels? Buy a new pair of Reebok's?

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He can easily lose 5-10 pounds in 7 days if he's 350ish. I really think the Jets knew he'd be failing or borderline for a physical going into this and are using the 7 day condition to make him prove to them that he's going to put forth effort.

If he is working out and losing weight over the next week that will probably be enough for him to "pass" a physical.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Any bets he plays in more than 10 games this season IF he makes the team at all?

4. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Face it, people went full tilt on Hunter being replaced, media outlets included...

All I'm saying is one step at a time - this guy is a roll of the dice even if he passed the physical, to last the whole season...

We will STILL greatly lean on Hunter based on this transaction, Period.

But, that's also ok with me because I think the majority of people are underrating Hunter based on a year with injuries on the rest of the OL, horrible play calling that made the OL worse IMO and a complete TEAM collapse...

Not that I don't want to add competition and depth but, Damn, don't go beserk over a guy who hardly played in 2 years to be THE MAN.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

hell no. i have no confidence in this guy staying healthy.

6. baamf

baamf Active Member

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN

OT Jeff Otah is doing agility work off to the side. His trade from Panthers won't be official unless he passes physical pic.twitter.com/l919o1O3

Well, he's in Cortland at least. We'll see...

7. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Jets put Otah on the PUP

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/trade-jeff-otah-hits-snag-article-1.1122113

NY Jets place Jeff Otah on active/physically unable to perform list after failed physical
    Otah has played only four games in the past two seasons due to nagging knee injuries.
    By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Thursday, July 26, 2012, 12:04 AM

New York Jets defensive back Darrelle Revis (24) out of the game with an injury in the 2nd half of the Jets 27-24 win.New York Jets against the Dallas Cowboys at Metlife Stadium.
    Antonelli, Ron, New York Daily News/Antonelli, Ron, New York Daily News

Darrelle Revis says he will not sit out camp and will report to Jets facility Thursday.

The Jets placed right tackle Jeff Otah on the active/PUP list after he failed his physical, the team announced Wednesday night.

Otah, who was acquired from the Carolina Panthers on Monday for a conditional seventh-round pick, has played only four games in the past two seasons due to nagging knee injuries. The Jets said that the trade is contingent on him passing his physical in the next seven days. The former first-round pick will compete with incumbent Wayne Hunter for the starting right tackle spot if he passes the physical.

REVIS READY
    As previously reported, Darrelle Revis will report for the start of training camp on Thursday, according to a source. Players will take physicals/conditioning tests at the team facility before going to Cortland.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...tah-hits-snag-article-1.1122113#ixzz21qHZVmeF

8. patfanken

patfanken Banned

I don't know what you guys are worrying about. Didn't Hunter recently declare himself as being the Jets' "breakout player" this season in a recent interview. Clearly you don't have a problem at RT. :wink:

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

You totally misunderstood that. He said he's going to breakout his sock puppet player that makes most opposing d-linemen laugh to the point of being immobilized when he busts it out and does the wincy voice right before the snap.

The only one who doesn't fall for that is Vince Wilfork... tubby bastard wants to know where Sanchez is hiding the hot dogs.

10. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Hey I hope Otah does pass his Physical but Thank God for NFL's Lemon Law

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im getting really worried about this... He has a day to pass his physical. I dont think its gonna happen.

12. This whole thing seems pre-planned. Either Tannenbaum just wanted to kick the tires on a percieved "lost cause" and will move on after tomorrow, or they wanted to see how committed Otah was to getting back to football before letting him "pass" the physical at the last possible minute.

The way Otah has talked, he doesn't even know what this physical will consist of..and it doesn't make sense to wait till the very last day to let him take it again unless he's close to a lost cause and needs every second of treatment he can get, or they wanna test his work ethic that has been questioned up to this stage.

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

#Jets in full pads today. Still no OT Jeff Otah (PUP). UDFA CB Ryan Steed not practicing.. Tweet about a hour ago :sad:

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If the Jets want him to pass a physical he will. I really think they just wanted him to show them he was motivated.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

heh - didn't see this until after I responded. Yes, I think you're exactly right.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i think you nailed it on testing his work ethic. If he doesn't want to fight for his own NFL career, they will cut bait now.

Injury prone, and work ethic issues are tempering my expectations.
    I'm still holding onto a glimmer of hope that he gets the message, and really wants this. Guy would fit in very well to ground and pound, IF he can stay in one piece and has some fight left. Lots of IF's.

17. Well Otah said to the media that he now thinks he will pass the physical(he was lukewarm & noncommital every other time he has been asked). Take that for what it's worth.

I agree that he is perfect for the ground & pound. In fact, their may not be a better mauling RT in football w/ the exception of Anthony Davis in San Fran. Unfortunately for us, his health is such an uncertainty

18. Apple Jack

Apple Jack Banned

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    RT @MrIrrelevant14: When is deadline for Otah to pass physical for trade to go thru? .... Tuesday. Was told it's 50-50 whether he'll pass.

19. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of 50/50 on what I want to happen. Of course the ideal situation is he passes and he's healthy all season, but what if he passes his physical and just gets hurt later? I guess that still doesn't hurt us because either way (him hurt or trade negated) we're starting WFH.

Meh, we'll wait and see what happens.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

As I said last week, the downside here includes if he does pass but is damaged goods, do the Jets pick up someone else, too, who may become available between now and opening day? THere will definitely be some candidates as teams trim their rosters.