Jets defense looks to adjust to one-back systems

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by All Gas No Shake, Jul 26, 2012.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i thought the part about two linebackers on third down was interesting ...

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets...djust_to_BSXUMAqOd4qUFRlWxhtieL#ixzz21k6lv44e

2. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

What I found most interesting about the article when I read it this morning, Is that the top 3 defenses had used 2 linebackers on nearly every down. I expect to see alot of different sub Nickle Packages with a LB instead of a CB or more of the three safety big Nickle.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It makes sense against the spread. And if Josh Bush can pick up the defense, he could play the role of the deep roamer with Bell and Landry playing up in the box.

4. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

The defense is taking steps to defend the trend.

The offense is taking steps to keep the old trend in play. Which i enjoy dont get me wrong.

5. Murrell2878

Everything goes thru cycles. It's likely in the next 3 - 5 years you will see the game go back to a more balanced game.

6. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Anyone see the irony that our defensive coach sees the spread offense as "the future" (of the NFL), but our Head coach goes G&P?

As for me, I agree with our defensive coach, we're going to have to rethink our offensive approach. To be honest, I think we'll be more pass orientated then run this year, despite the G&P claims Rex has made.

I think we have more passing weapons than we do run... If Mark can raise his game.

7. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

Hmmm,

Develop a Defense that is geared to stop the majority of offenses in the league while developing an offense that most teams don't run and thus their defences aren't set up to stop. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Schotty wanted to go to a more passing oriented offense and that flopped due to a combination of Sanchez not being ready and the playcalling.

We don't need to spread them out I prefer to have a balanced offense anyway.

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Based on our defensive strategy, our offensive personnel and playing intelligent football to our strengths, we should G&P. When we run the football well, we will pass the football well. We have 2 mobile qb's a new rookie deep threat receiver and hopefully a hungrier Holmes for potential, BIG gain, play action passing plays.

Defense, Ground 'N Pound and a side of Play Action pass. A game of field position, time of possession and priority of protecting the football. New York Jets football.

Edit: Band of Lunatics come out and playa! Very excited here for a fast, mean, dominant defense. #1 in the league and a crew that can create turnovers and demoralize opponents. CAN'T WAIT!

#9 JetsVilma28, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  10. SI_Jets_Fan

SI_Jets_Fan Member

This. Defenses are getting smaller and faster to keep up with 4 and 5 receiver sets. Pounding them is a good strategy.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Demario Davis will be starting halfway through the year if Bart cant cover still. I guess this explains why they drafted Davis.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

5 DB defensive package will be in vogue, I see.

Either that comes from 3-3-5 triple stack or 4-2-5, I'm not sure. I think Jets will do better in 3-3-5. (They can't field 2 edge rushing DEs AND 3T at the same time with only Coples and Wilkerson on board. Pace can play solid OLB in 3-3-5, and Harris/Scott can be just as effective for the other two spots.)

13. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

yes the Jets Offense is not geared, nor should it be with our Defense, to go spread and pass. It makes the most sense (as other have pointed out) to pound the ball, set up play action against other Defense's as they try to keep up with the trend of going lighter and faster. With that said, I am not sure what we have in the RB department outside of Greene who HAS to have a big year and stay healthy. Cedic Benson anyone???

14. Catt_County

Catt_County Banned

The problem with this scenario is that the Jets did NOT run the ball well last season. Their 3.8 YPC was 29th in the league. The Jets are returning the same blockers (OL & TE), the same starting RB, and replacing the old LT with a 6th round rookie. Relying on a gimmick offense (wildcat) is NOT going to be a real substitute for a fundamentally sound rushing game.

Running to set up the pass has been passe' for about 20 years.

15. Murrell2878

We're replacing LT with Ganaway? I didn't realize that. What happened to Joe McKnight?

16. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

It might sound contradictory, but "ground and pound" does not preclude you from running a Spread offense.