Jets' defense is 10th overall against the pass and 4th overall

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJ_Jersey_Jets, Sep 29, 2014.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree, there needs to be a balance. But the state of the team really does dictate whether or not that balance remains.

I'm falling off the fence at the moment. And not on your side. The next three games are crucial and not favorable to the success of this team.

If they pull out a couple of wins, a lot of people will climb back up on that fence, but it's unlikely.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Thanks Brad/Byz. I've worked hard to reach this lofty status. You have no idea how hard it was to dethrone Champ AND remain rational in the process. I must admit though that it would impossible to be a darksider without the help of the New York Jets. If it wasn't for their record of futility over the decades, we wouldn't exist in the numbers that we do. :)

#62 Cman68, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    stinkyB likes this.
  3. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Most significant stat

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Fixed it for ya :D

_

stinkyB likes this.
  5. Cman68

Ha ha ha...

6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Can you imagine what it's like trying to post on a Giants board with all the one sentence posts that include the word Eli or Coughlin three times each? :)

The reason so many Giants fans troll us is the average Jets poster can spell C-A-T.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Most teams have 2 defenses....the game plan defense designed to disrupt the offense and then the 'prevent defense' (which usually prevents your team from winning).

Our normal defense is pretty good. But Rex's 'prevent' has been horrible.

Why do teams even run the prevent defense? It's a numbers game. The percentage of deep outs skyrockets when teams have to drive the field in under 2 minutes. The deep out is the bread and butter play of any team in the 2 min drill. Chunk yardage, stop the clock. Chunk yardage, stop the clock. Teams may call a running play once, or throw over the middle early when there's still time to run up and spike the ball. But other than that, it's the deep out.

If you KNOW the deep out is coming, you play a completely different defense (prevent defense). Teams dbl team the sidelines with an under DB and an over Safety on both sides of the field. Cover 2 with both Safeties back deep.

This change in defensive philosophy is even more daming to a Ryan defense that 90% of the time relies on man coverage on the outside with his safeties reeking havoc at the LOS and over the deep middle.

In 2010 when Rex had Revis and Cromartie guarding the outsides, he had enough talent to keep his safeties home, albeit a few yards deeper.

2014 with AA and Walls? Rex has NO CHOICE but to give Safety help on the outsides, which guts his 'normal' defense.

9. Cman68

You and I both hail back to a time on this board when every other word was either Herm, Paul f'n Hackett or Noodlearm. :)

10. Br4d

Well maybe we'll wind up with a TGG Yik Yak? Jets haiku for the win?

At Qualcomm Stadium
    Geno throws it at Decker
    Loud noises occur

11. Br4d

The Jets are either of two plays away from a likely 2-2. The int at the end of the 1st half in GB just freaking killed us although it wasn't clear that was the case at the time. The non-fumble on Cutler's obvious fumble was just as bad. The Jets get either of those back and we're 2-2 right now and everybody is nervous but calm. If they get both of them we're maybe 3-1 and everything is just fine.

Sometimes the breaks just don't go your way. Sometimes you give away games. The Jets are doing both right now and that's got to stop or Rex will get fired.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm sure Rex is throwing these stats out like crazy but what about the most important stat. Ws and Ls. His defense has good stats for two downs but on third down gives up plays.

13. Cman68

Maybe we used up our luck last year getting to 8-8.

displacedfan likes this.
  14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I am not a darksider just a realist & BTW probably in this group I would say I am one of the only ones who actually saw the PO game vs Oak in 68 & naturally SB3 on 01/12/69 which means that 99.9% of this group has never experienced ever in there NYJ lifetime a championship team which is why they do not understand anything about the terrific feeling about having your team be World Champs:mad:

15. Cman68

Champ, Champ, Champ. You sir, are indeed a Darksider just like Me. You're not the only guy on this board that actually was old enough to see those games. I saw them both too. I was 13 at the time.

I'm not gonna go into this topic very deeply because the last thing we need is yet another all out fight between both factions. Let me put it another way, I'm not gonna let it happen. That being said, lets just close this branch of the thread and move on to something else.

Thanks in advance!
    Mgmt.

16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Maybe I fall closer to the sunshiner side of things, although I try to be pretty rational. I feel frustrated just like every other fan, I just don't feel the need to let negativity pour out of my mouth like self pity flavored vomit.

Sometimes a little mean spirited sarcasm is just fine to alleviate the frustration, but what really irritates me is the constant bitching from so many fans. You don't deserve jack shit you whiny fucks, you pay to watch men hit each other and then beat their chests afterwards. If you want to see a team win every week play Madden on easy.

Not calling you out specifically, since you mostly stick to sarcasm anyway. Just putting my 2¢ in, since you can't really buy anything with 2¢ anymore anyway.

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Wooohhooo, this is such a great defense. Top 10 for sure!

18. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Sadly this league is determined by points not yards

#78 Jetsfansince95, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  19. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

About to be 14-0 nothing here and a quick three and out for Jets....watch

20. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

How many of you see 3rd and long for the other team and just know the Jets aren't stopping it....