Jets' defense is 10th overall against the pass and 4th overall

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJ_Jersey_Jets, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I checked the nfl.com stats for the pass D of the Jets. The ypg is an outlier, probably because the O has done so little in terms of field position, opponents do not have to go down the field to score. Also true is that the opponents have had banged up receivers in Chicago and Detroit, that GB did not have their act together, winning only against the Jets in their first three games.

But those are just opinions. Compare the ypg stat with where the Jets pass D is in points allowed. Tied for 14th worst, which is mid pack, but much more accurate than ypg where they really are.

Then go to opponent's Qb rating. Holy shit, at 6th worst in the league with a 104.1 rating. Wow.

ypa at 7 and comp% at 63 are not bad. and the Jets lead the league with sacks. Good for them. But TD's and Int's are really killing them. At 9 pass Td's the Jets are tied for 3rd worst in the league. Only the Jags and the surprisingly awful Eagles pass D are worse. And with zero interceptions, the Jets are tied for worst in the league with NO (poor Ryan brothers).

The point here is that cherry picking ypg is not really an accurate picture of this team. I do not mean to suggest that points allowed is all on the pass D when the O is sputtering and leaving them with poor field position. But it has to be factored in. and those stats on Qb ratings and TD v. Int ratio are staggeringly bad.

No, this is not a top ten pass defense. More like 2oth.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...onType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Ajitator likes this.
  2. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Someone needs to put down the crack pipe, and it's not me. A top 10 defense does not denote that they are perfect. Notice I'm not saying top 5,.. or the best to ever play. I challenge you to find 9 Defenses in the league that are better then ours.. Instead of just being but hurt that our offense can't move the ball so we're losing games. Actually do some research and look into the teams around the league... Teams and Offenses ( besides ours ) are moving the ball and scoring points at an alarming rate and our defense despite losing the time of possession battle in every game are leading the league against the run are top 5 in overall defense. But I'm not even basing it on the numbers or any of the rankings..

I'm basing it on the point that despite being useless for nearly every drive that we've been given the ball, Despite having the lowest RZ/TD ratio in the league, and our QB being a turnover machine. Our defense has still held us in the game until the final drives in all 3 losses. Bad defenses don't give their offense a chance to win the game.

So,.. I ask you again.. Can you name 9 defenses that are better then the Jets right now? I did my own list and struggled.

And back to your "point" about the lions taking their foot off the gas. The defense held the Lions in the second half with the exception of the scoring drive they had to open. They were put in a shitty spot by the fumble and held the Lions offense ( one of the best in the league ) without a first down on 3 straight possessions. All we did in return was turn the ball over twice. The Detroit offense had a 50/50 split runs/passes in the 2nd half of the game. They only scored 7 points 6 possessions, But wasn't due to lack of trying. They did not starting playing conservative until the final drive of the game where they ran it 4 times straight ( which sucked that they got the first downs they needed ) but at that point we had given our offense 5 tries to get us back into it.

3. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

I think that sounds about right, Our secondary is for sure the weak link on that side of the ball. Kyle Wilson is still repeatedly getting burned for long yardage. Really hope Milliner can come back strong and we can slide Walls over into the slot when he gets back.

Have we heard anything on the AA injury?

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Just wanted to throw this out there,Antonio Cromartie has been playing at a pro bowl level for the Cardnials,I wanted us to bring him back in the worst way I knew he had some good football left.For the cap num we should have done it ,fucking Idzik

5. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me - staffford was under duress most of the game - he played like a BOSS - we even fucked up his hand from putting him on the ground so much - i was epicly impressed how stafford handled that pass rush

6. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Many of us wanted Cro to come back. He was bad last year but it was obvious he was playing hurt. Also, the most important thing is that it would not cost a lot of $$ so there would still be big cash to roll over.

#46 ajax, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  7. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Good thing opponents only run the 2-minute drill before the half and when the game is on the line. Otherwise, they'd be ranked much lower.

#47 ajax, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  8. ibleedgreen7476

As much as I'm let down by this defense not being clutch, I have to imagine that the constant short drives, 3 and outs, and terrible field position the offense gives our D all game has to have some effect on them either getting gassed or trying to do to much to make the play that leads to the defense's failures in big spots. If the offense, and really I mean Geno, was competent and could keep them off the field for more of the game I don't think we would see the meltdowns.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  9. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Should have just kept Cro if we weren't going to use the cap space this season

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Stats don't mean shit when you're 1-3. All stats are is the result of individual stats and mostly meaningless. The only stats that really count are in the w/l column.

NY Jets68 and Jets69 like this.
  11. BobbyGM8000

BobbyGM8000 Active Member

Best post of the thread. All these fancy stats dont really mean anything if the team loses. You can have the greatest defense in the league but if you cant stop the other team when you need to, who cares?

12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Logic will get you a permanent ban from this board

13. BobbyGM8000

Isnt he in charge of this board? He's gonna ban himself? Lol

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cman is an administrator, not the owner of the forum. And he's an excellent mind, even if he makes unpopular posts.

Jets69 likes this.
  15. BobbyGM8000

Oh ok. I thought the red name meant the owner or something

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

He's only does the bidding of the crypt keeper!

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hi MBgreen. You've exposed yourself. But thanks for liking pretty much every post I make.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Cman55 is the Lord of the Darkside at the moment, a worthy position to hold on TGG. The split between rational darksiders and homers is what keeps this place going. Having been on both sides of the fence I know both are important to keeping this place hopping.

And yeah, I'm not as down on the team as a lot of people right now. I still think 8 to 11 wins is where we're headed.

19. BobbyGM8000

As a giants fan who roots for the jets to win because of my dad, what group does that leave me in lol. Darkside or homers?

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I do enjoy your posts, sorry MBgreen? You lost me