Jets Current State Cap/roster wise 03-26-20

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 26, 2020.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Siemian and Falk have been bad their whole career. Good teams generally have a backup that can game manager if the starter goes down. Pat's have had one a lot. Pittsburgh almost made the playoff with one. Backup qb is important. Matt Moore has proven to be a decent backup, he plays a few decent games. You don't rely on them to be great, just hopefully keep it close so your other player have a chance to win it. We have had terrible qbs and backups for so long I'm not sure we know what a decent backup can do. I hope Darnold plays the whole season, but to go into the season with no real backup is moronic. And the 2 we used last year aren't real backups. They shouldn't even be allowed in the xfl.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yup. if we had a better team then yeah but without a better team it's pointless. it's likely we only win 6-8 with sam next year anyway. if he goes down we get a better draft pick. no point in spending money on ruining our draft pick

3. GasedAndConfused

siemian is a solid backup. falk is garbage. sieman went 8-6 in 14 starters for denver including 3 4th quarter comebacks. not much more you can ask for out of a back-up QB. moore is 3-4 over the past 7 years and was 1-1 last year on a stacked team that won the SB.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd prefer that we just draft a quarterback and hope to find lightning in a bottle in the 5th-6th round if Sam goes down rather than go dumpster diving for the usual garbage that floods the backup QB market for $10 million a year.

I like Siemien the most. And drafting a quarterback comes with it's own set of risks but I think the risk/reward is slightly better than hoping Mike Glennon doesn't suck balls as he usually does whenever he goes under center.

5. GasedAndConfused

yup that was my plan. somewhere in rounds 4-7.

round 1 OT
    round 2 CB
    round 3 WR, WR
    round 4-7 QB, RB, and whatever else. I need to work up a mock draft soon

6. GasedAndConfused

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't say the GM should follow fans. IMO a smart GM isn't going to put himself and his team in a position where they don't have a competent backup. Injuries happen. QBs miss games.

It wouldn't have made a difference last season if we had a good backup because the OL sucked. The OL shouldn't suck this year, so it definitely should make a difference to have a good backup.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I hope we go this route:

RD1 - OT
    RD2 - Best WR Available
    RD3 - Oline or WR
    RD3 - WR or EDGE or Oline
    RD4 - WR or EDGE or CB

Rest of the draft look for depth. I think we've done a good job addressing the CB position, we can go for more depth, but we are 3 or 4 deep. RD 3 can be interchangeable.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

True, and I thought that he would be a solid backup last season. He wasn't. He looked awful in his only appearance. He was like a deer in the headlights. He must not have known Gase's offense at all, or none of the WRs were in the right place, or something screwy. Falk came into the game and looked 10x better than Siemian. No way I want Siemian back. I don't care if he is cheap. There's a reason for that (no one wants him).

10. GasedAndConfused

sam is the only reason we get wins really. without him we are screwed even with a solid backup though

WR is really deep. the quality difference between our 2nd rounder and 3rd rounder won't be much if any. much better off with a CB in round 2 where the drop off will be large

how can you judge a guy on 6 pass attempts? that's all he lasted before going on IR

11. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Holy shit--Christian didn't sign--now you have to rewrite the whole thing!

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think there will be a strong run of receivers in the 2nd round / 3rd round. The depth is great, but depending on the type of receiver you want there is a shot if you wait too long you won't get that type of receiver. I am not willing to take that chance IMO. A K.J. Hamler is good, but I would prefer a better prospect.

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Starting to look like Willie Gay will go a lot higher than round 4 based on reports of his interviews at the combine.

14. NCJetsfan

Because he was an experienced starter and player. Falk was not. Sieminan looked totally lost on every snap. If memory serves me correctly Falk looked pretty good from his very first snap. He was much more poised and in control of the offense than Siemian was. The good old eye test.

15. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

Semien didn't have a chance. 6 attempts, and if I remember correctly he was running for his life during most of them.
    Falk had a run of opportunities, and looked badly overmatched. His starts against the Pats
    and Eagles were, shall we say, less than spectacular.

16. NCJetsfan

I disagree. On a play or two, he may have been running for his life, but on others he had time, and it was like he was frozen, didn't know where to go with the ball. Yes, Falk looked bad in later starts, but in that game against the same defense, he came and immediately sparked the offense, and the Jets were able to move the ball and score points. I think Siemian had a 3 and out, maybe two, and then was injured on the 3rd drive.

17. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

Dude, they scored 3 points the entire game.

18. NCJetsfan

Yes, but they were at least able to move the ball and put some points on the board. If Siemian had not gotten hurt and remained in the game, I don't think they every would have even gotten a first down.

19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’m so mad. I just finished a new thread with a highly detailed breakdown of the current cap which I was going to continue to update as new contracts were released, and I lost it all because I got impatient. Ugh. I may be a few days before I go through all of the math again.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  20. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

You need help let me know. We're cut back to 4 days a week right now with offset shifts. Boredom will set in soon. Day 3 off right now out of a 5 day stretch. No football makes it even worse.

MaximusD163 likes this.