Jets Current State Cap/roster wise 03-26-20

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 26, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Spotrac doesn't account for Desir, McGovern, Van Wroten, Burgess, Hewitt, Perriman, Maulet, Onwuasor. So we have nowhere near $16 mil available I think.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm using spotrac. they have everyone except for jenkins and onwuasor and i accounted for those 2 as well right in the begining

3. GasedAndConfused

look at spotrac no OTC. OTC is always off and behind so i stopped using it years ago.
    we currently stand at around 16 mil including rookie deals.

we can free up more with cuts of bellamy, williamson, and winters to the tune of around another 14 mil. it's all addressed in the OP seems like people skimmed it and didn't read it

4. GasedAndConfused

ah shit. thought i saw them there. i'll have to readjust it then.
    mcgovern is likely 8ish, perriman was 6mil, the rest are likely low. i already accounted for onwuasor and jenkins. but your right were porbably looking at having just enough for rookies right now when u add everyone in. more the case to drop winters, bellamy, and williamson and free up another 14mil which could get us clowney or a CB

5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Sportstrac also doesn't have McGovern, Jenkins, Desir, Van Roten, and about 6 more. Therefore it is also wrong.. we are sitting at basically not cap space and are relying on the Trumaine Johnson cut for draft pick. Do the research man.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. J-Raw24

McGovern is 10-11 Perriman is 6, Desir is 5, Jenkins is 5, Van Roten will be 6-8, Hewitt is 2, Burgess is 1-2, Andrew's at least 2, the new linebacker at least 1-2. All that from 36.... no cap space.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True, but if we trotted another Luke Falk out there fans would be out with torches and pitchforks. The level of play has to be professional and competent.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If you lose Sam for the season, I agree, but you need a QB who can step in and win a couple games if Sam goes down with a minor injury. Matt Moore or Mike Glennon could do that. Joe Flacco could bring good veteran knowledge for Sam on the bench, but not sure I would feel comfortable if he would have to step in.

9. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that is high on Pittman

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like him. What are you thinking? Use #11 on an OT, #48 on a CB then Pittman with one of the 3rd Round Picks? It's a possibility. Just hard to know where Douglas is leaning with so many solid WR available.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I could be off but if so only by a touch, but by my calculation for the contracts I have details on they are at $157,739,552 for our top 51 contracts. That does not include:
    Connor McGovern
    Greg Van Roten
    Jordan Jenkins
    Pierre Desir
    Breshad Perriman
    Neville Hewitt
    Josh Andrews
    Marqui Christian
    James Burgess
    Arthur Maulet
    Patrick Onwuasor
    Bennett Jackson

I like to know true, straight up numbers instead of calculating with estimates, but if we do estimate...
    Desir-$5.5mm
    Jenkins-$5mm
    Perriman-$6mm
    Hewitt-$2mm
    Christian-$1.6mm
    McGovern-$10mm
    Total: $30.1mm
    Those are the only contracts we have any approximate numbers for, increasing the overall number to $187,839,552. You can the subtract the lowest 6 contracts out of the top 51, as their places have been taken. The total of those equal $4,392,409. This brings our number down to $183,447,143. The 2020 Salary Cap is $198,200,000. The Jets rollover from 2019 is $8,865,664, meaning the Jets total cap space for 2020 equals $207,065,664.

The current number I have for cap space remaining is approximately $23,678,521. This does not account for:
    Greg Van Roten
    Josh Andrews
    James Burgess
    Arthur Maulet
    Bennett Jackson
    Patrick Onwuasor

Some of those won’t change it too much, as I imagine they only differ from the bottom few guys of the top 51 contracts slightly of at all. In a complete guess, I would wager they in total add $4-6mm to the cap, could be slightly more or less. There could be variance, especially with McGovern’s contract, because it could be a low year 1 hit. At this point, the Jets probably have somewhere between $14-24mm in cap available, I’d guess the middle. The projection for the Jets draft class is $8,441,384, so there is not really room for spending at this point. You need flexibility, so anyone else who comes on board of note will force releases for sure. A Jamal Adams extension could also force some releases.

twown, NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  12. MaximusD163

I actually love OTC more than Spotrac. They may be slightly slower because it’s a smaller team, but it’s a better site.

You can see my calculations above, but neither site will be accurate for a while, since players can’t sign contracts quickly. Even that $36 isn’t right even if you don’t count the players missing.

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  13. J-Raw24

Good info. That's sounds closer. Also need some for emergency in season fund. But that's a lot closer. Hopefully the numbers on some of the other contracts come out soon so we can see about where it is. Thanks for actually looking into it.

14. MaximusD163

I really have no idea what the time frame might be for some of those deals. With the league shutting down all of the team headquarters and stopping physicals, some of these deals may not be officially signed for a little while. It’s a weird time...

J-Raw24 likes this.
  15. J-Raw24

Yeah. It's definitely going to be one of the strangest offseasons I can remember. Hopefully this thing clears up so life can get back on track. NYJ offseason has been pretty exciting so far though. Hopefully Douglas knock the draft out of the park.

16. GasedAndConfused

a loss is a loss though whether by 1 or 100. backup QBs is money better spent if your team can't win without their starter

J-Raw24 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

i used to as well but spotrac has been proven to be more accurate and faster

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You have a point, I'm certain that you are in the overwhelming minority of fans on this.

19. GasedAndConfused

yeah i probably am fanwise. but smart GMs don't follow fans. yeah it was brutal watching falk play but if we had a good backup wouldn't have made a difference anyway. plus we had siemian who lasted all of 2 quarters. same could happen again if we pay a backup.

20. MaximusD163

I think this is probably on true on terrible teams. Look at the Saints? Look at the Chiefs? Both lost their starter and had guys who could play. Even the Steelers almost made the playoffs, and would have with a quality backup QB.

J-Raw24 likes this.