Jets coulda been in playoffs if

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

By that line of thinking the Jets are as likely to lose to teams that they beat the last time they played them the next time they play them.

2. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

If another team handed the NYJ a victory like Tampa did...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

How many free wins did other teams get from the Jets?

Whaaaa????

Thank you

That's funny - when Junc makes that argument when evaluating Sanchez you disagree with him....

And Cromartie fumbled a punt return which handed a win to the Raiders and kept us out of the playoffs in 2011. Our record was 8-8 in 2011 and 1 play could have made us a playoff team. It's a terrible argument because we can split hairs about this in every game, every season.

4. mikey

mikey Active Member

I'm pretty happy at 8-8. Did better than the critics expected, still have the ability to draft a stud receiver (Lee or Evans), and gave Geno a year of experience under his belt. Hopefully, he'll bust his ass in the offseason and come into 2014 more of a touchdown machine than a turnover one.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The starter of the thread forgets to mention that idiot Bucs player whose 15 yd penalty won us the game. If he did does not incur that out of bounds penalty this thread would not exist :sad:

6. Big Blocker

Personally i think it is far from clear that the Jets are improving. If anyone had a season that counters the Parcells adage you are what your record is, it is the 2013 Jets. Not that it's all negative, like that gift from TB on Opening Day, or a totally inept Buffalo team that came back and wiped the floor with the Jets. NO losing key skill players. They did win three of their last four, and that is just the kind of ending on a positive that has been lacking the two previous years.

But the losers in those games were playing awful, and perhaps the key stat undermining the 8-8 is overall points differential, where the Jets were truly woeful. They were one point off fifth for worst in the league in that stat.

Most concerning is Smith. The fact is no one here, supporters and not, who knows whether he will upgrade his game next year. The last few games showed some promise, but he was not really playing top pass defenses, and the running game was usuallu working quite well against weak opponents.

Let's put it this way. Either Smith improves a great deal, or they get more and effective Qb's on the roster, or both. If not the Jets are not likely to be any better than 8-8, if that.

So let's see what happens.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

That wasn't the point. The point was that just because you lose badly to a team in the regular season doesn't mean the same thing will happen in the playoffs. I wasn't trying to say it was more likely.

And with Geno, yeah, we don't really know. But he has indeed learned a lot over this season, and looked much more comfortable out there in the late season. The oline has been terrible in pass protection this year as well.

#127 Barcs, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  8. Big Blocker

I don't agree that the Oline was terrible. I think they were midpack.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That idiot player may receive votes for the Defensive Player of the Year award. Shows you how much you pay attention to the league when you don't even know the names of star players.

Anyway, the penalty certainly helped the Jets. It made a field goal attempt possible. Had the penalty not occurred there would have been one Hail Mary attempt. Do you know for a fact that the Hail Mary attempt would have not resulted in a touchdown? You certainly indicated as such. Tell me what you saw. Did Smith's pass get intercepted? Did it fall incomplete? Did he complete the pass short of the end zone? Gates didn't catch it at the 2 and get tackled at the 1, did he? I betcha that is what you saw. That son of a bitch Gates. Or did Smith not even get the pass off? Did Smith get sacked on a 3-man rush?

Also, what vision have you seen for the Super Bowl? The Chargers, maybe? That would be cool.

10. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

People saying that Tampa Bay game is a guaranteed loss if David doesn't push Geno is falling to pre-determined outcomes. Whose to say that if he hadn't pushed Geno that they couldn't have had another quick play gained yards and then got the field goal? Same with NE everyone is assuming that if the outcome is different it is anti Jets, not necessarily true.

11. championjets69

Anybody but Brady & the Pats in the SB. I would like to see SD making it because it means they have knock off Manning. So what about the Bucs player being in consideration for ROY but on that one play he won us a game & that is all that matters right? As for the other option the hail Mary dream on :sad:

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who cares about the "ifs", "couldas" and "shouldas"? The bottom line is that they weren't in, and with a team that was as lacking in talent as the Jets, there would have been little to gain or celebrate imo if they had made it. They would have gotten blown out in the first round, and the only thing they would have accomplished is having even worse draft position, and having even less a chance of getting the offensive playmakers that they need. I wish you Jets fans would wake up and smell the coffee.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He was not a rookie this season so the ROY is out.

So you are saying there was a 0% chance of the Jets winning on a Hail Mary even though it is a play that has worked for teams in the past?

14. championjets69

The hail Mary IMHO is as hard to complete as winning the Lotto would be. :sad:

15. Big Blocker

meh. It is not necessary to talk about outcomes. In terms of what was likely, that personal foul made it likely the Jets would win, as they did. And without it, it was likely they would lose.

Let's put it this way - if the roles of the Jets and Bucs had been reversed, and someone argued here that the Jets should have been able to count that as a win, the Jet homers here would be in complete agreement with such an argument.

You can bank on that.

16. section134

section134 Active Member

here is my point in starting this thread. this season gives jets hope . we did this with a rookie qb----we didn't have peyton drew rivers brady flacco big ben russel Wilson lucky lucky lucky etc and yes some of the qbs I mentioned had better rookie years than geno

with espn.com in their preseason rating had jets at 32---I figured they know more than me and was hoping for at least one win---the tampa game when they hit a jet out of bounds--is just payback for 50 years when jets lost games by penalties that came out of no where-----I was at first titan game at the polo grounds in 1960. season ticket holder since. I know all the suffering in our history-----all teams have had poor streaks. when sanchez led us to those playoff wins most jet fans were ecstatic-----there are always so called jet fans like champ that cry because we didn't win the sb----in life he cried when he got a raise to 250k instead of getting more

enjoy what you have had ---- jets have good def---lots of draft choices-----seem to be loaded with cap money to bring in top fa who was luckier jets in the tampa game or chargers in their last season game ?????

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Actually nick folk won us the game. The bucs player just put us in a better position to wim

18. VanderbiltJets

No one is arguing about the certainty of outcome. However, there is a legitimate argument about likelihood of outcome making it obvious that, without the penalty, the Jets had a statistically improbable chance to win. Having said that, the OP's "just inches away from the playoffs" logic is equally as fair as others' "just centimeters away from an additional 1-2 losses for the NYJ".

I ignored your absurd "Rookie QB could've advanced the ball forward at least 6 yards [distance required to match Folk's career-long of 56 yards] in less than :02 to set up for a FG" assertion.

#138 VanderbiltJets, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  19. VanderbiltJets

And Sanchez also gave us hope as a Rookie. Super Bowl!

Seriously though why do fans argue that ESPN Power Rankings are inaccurate, and then subsequently use those rankings as evidence to show that the Jets' exceeded expectations? Sure, many fans thought the team would suck, but very few pegged the Jets as worst team in the league going into this season.

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201309080nyj.htm

There is a graph here showing win probability that backs up your statement. Just adding it to discussion because I think these graphs are cool.