Jets Could Have Major Offseason QB Dilemma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Dec 4, 2022.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

If Zach Wilson had back to back games in which he threw for a total of 684 Yards, 3 TDs, a Rushing TD, and a Completion Percentage of 62.4%, would there be a "dilemma"?

Why is there a dilemma simply because it was Mike White who accomplished this?

#41 HackettSuxTNG, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    papapump, Ralebird and Cman68 like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Ever thought that he has actually been under used this season and that resulted in rusty hands?

He played very well last seaon, in both running and wr work and the return game, for me he has been left on the shelf due to Wilson's instability at QB, the same Can be said of Moore, barely had a target all season both shouldnhave done better with their respective errors but the way this site needs to always play the blame game on a game by game basis.

He runs a KR back for a TD and an endaround and everybody will be what a great gadget guy he is :rolleyes:

3. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

He tried to make a play on the last INT. Happens to even the best QBs when they need to force it wit no timeouts and almost no time remaining. To even blame him a little on the Berrios drop is ridiculous. Berrios needs to make that catch and it hit him with both hands. MW wasn’t perfect but he is worlds better than Zach at this point.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

they already have one and its been brewing since last year, IMO.
    do they sign white to a juicy extension while being on the hook for 35 million to ZW.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I was one of the biggest proponents of bringing Berrios back this year and was happy we did. I don't have any issue with Berrios getting touches and think that he is a good gadget guy for this offense.

There may be something to what you're saying but I still think some of Berrios' opps should be going to Elijah or GW. Especially in critical game situations.

6. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I know this goes back a bit but he dropped 2 TDs in Sam’s last year as well. He’s a good gadget player but I wouldn’t rely on him to make tight window catches.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I agree it was big game jitters--but f that--get your shit together holmes I would say to Davis. Even the big catch he had late was bobbled I believe or another one was. I know Saleh talks about all the other things he does but no excuse for those 1q penalties--actually first play of game where Bam gained 9 yards was called back

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

One reason I didn't have a problem with Conklin is that most of the balls coming his way were when White was just getting rid of the ball to avoid a sack.

All of the problems that were excuses for Zach were inherited by White.

We have a patchwork offensive line, two of our best RBs injured, and only two decent receivers.

All things considered I think we have several core offensive players to build around including the injured players.

jilozzo likes this.
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Davis is a solid #2 WR.

Possibly overpaid but without him we don't make the playoffs this year.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Davis had a nice block on the long Bam Knight run. Not sure why he gets tagged as unreliable when Berrios' dropped pass is what lost the game. I wish that pass was thrown to Corey Davis

James Hasty likes this.
  11. HackettSuxTNG

His hands sure look fine waving for all those fair catches on punts :D

James Hasty and K'OB like this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

So it’s the same as every offseason for the last 50 years?

Cool.

13. HackettSuxTNG

Good call here. I had forgotten that block.

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Thats a huge hypothetical and can't really be argued to a valid conclusion. I agree he's a net positive and that value would have to be replaced.

James Hasty likes this.
  15. K'OB

What opps?

He has had a very limited role this year imo

9 rushes for 91 2 TD's 7.6 ypc
    15 catches off 22 targets 82 yards 5.5 ypr

on those stats maybe he should have a few more running plays

IDFjet likes this.
  16. K'OB

I can't deny that has been a little disappointing for me, he is turning into that crap WR that was always fair catching, name has escaped me, think he went to the 49ers

HackettSuxTNG likes this.
  17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

To answer this dilemma, we first gotta figure out whether White will be the starter for 2023 going into the off-season. To be merely the presumptive starter (i.e., can lose his job in a competition), White has to do the following: (1) move the offense at 250+ YPG; (2) even TD:INT ratio; (3) avoid the game-breaking mistake. To definitely start for 2023 (job's yours, kid), White has to: (1) orchestrate one playoff win.

The status will determine the contract. There's incentive for White to sign since he's already here and there's only 32 of these jobs in the world. If either situation is met, the Jets have incentives because he could be the answer. Signing him now would be very risky because that space could be used to pursue another target. So, yeah, basically everyone's correct in saying that we've got to wait till the dish is cooked/plated/served before judging the meal.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think Mike will prove himself this year. A lot will depend on the next game, where we are facing a defense that normally gives up a lot fewer yards than Minny. Overall, I think Mike did well in these two games. Numbers back that up as well. 3TD, 2INT, 1 Rushing TD, 62% completion, 90 passer rating, 332 ypg, 8 ypa. Small sample size, which is why we need to see more, but eye test tells me, the guy is legit. That wasn't the case after two games last year. With 5 more games, plus I am hoping at least 1 play-off game, the jury will be out.

If he is able to finish with 300 ypg and 90+ rating on 8 game sample (basically half a season), he will get a large contract next year. The best case scenario is to extend him before he hits free agency. If he goes into free agency, there is a significant risk we may lose him, which we might have to take, because the only other mechanism is franchise tag, and that will be 30 mil, which I am not sure JD will willing to do. His agent is not dumb - teams are starving for good QBs and assuming Mike finishes with the above numbers, he will get paid in a major way - hopefully by us.

Zach is still on a rookie deal, and will have a CAP hit for about 10 mil next two years, but most of it has already been paid as a signing bonus, and is sunk cost. He will be a back-up, and hopefully a good one. Chances are Mike will not play all 17 games next year, and Zach will get a shot to prove how far he progressed. If he does, then we will have QA dilemma to keep one and trade the other. For now though, let's hope Mike gets us great play for next 6+ games, and then JD has a check ready.

19. HackettSuxTNG

My compliments to the company accountant.

20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I agree that when the ball is in his hands he's pretty electric.

He's had his share of snaps in a couple games--you know that pre-snap move he does when he comes behind the qb then reverses back towards the original side in that kind of loop movement? That move frequently seems to produce a hole in the D.

I personally think the thread OP opinion is just a bad reaction to blaming whatever is near--like throwing your remote at the tv when something bad happens. Oh, forget this--thought it was the Berrios thread

MoWilkBeast and K'OB like this.