Jets Could Have Major Offseason QB Dilemma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s sad that people equate the last time we had league average QB play as a playoff appearance.

Cman68 and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The only QB drama the Jets will have this offseason is deciding if Mike White can be the guy and do they offer him a long-term contract. Zach is finished here. Either they go with White, sign a FA or work out a trade, or draft a QB.

3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

This is a 2 part dilemma- one is there’s no way the team can go into next year counting on Zach. They just can’t, the team will revolt. As for Mike White, there’s just not 30 guys in the world that can play the QB position at an elite level. MW is slinging the ball and making smart decisions. Win or lose its not easy for QB’s to have the success MW has had, so someone is going to take a flyer on him if he finishes the season as strong as his first 2 games. We’re going to be in competition with that “someone” to match whatever outrageous contract he’s offered unless we franchise MW. Franchising him pays absurd money for a year, but it might not be a bad idea. It’d give us a year to evaluate him while still being able to get away from him if he falls on his face. There’s been a lot of QB’s that came from nowhere to make huge money from a small sample of work , only to fall off a cliff when they got signed. aJ Feely, Matt Flynn….

Cman68 and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I know Zach is a bust here because after nearly two years folks still can't spell a 4 letter name correctly.
    Never gonna be a success when nobody knows your name, maybe he should try Cheers.

MoWilkBeast, ukjetsfan and Wahoo like this.
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Mike White came to play.

Any receiver not named Wilson or Davis owes him an apology.

Nyjets4eva and KY Jets Fan like this.
  6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Davis? That dude single handedly cost us all momentum in Q1.

All Gas No Shake, Cman68 and Borat like this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

C'mon man, I'm not gonna sit here and say that first pick is all Mike White's fault but it was not an "elite" or "on the money" throw. It was behind CD which was a big factor in why it ultimately resulted in a pick. I do agree that 24 got there early and there should've been a DPI on that play though.

Mike White played very well yesterday. He's the unquestioned starter for the rest of the year. How he plays down the stretch will determine if this is a temporary or a long-term situation.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I wish we would stop running so many plays for Braxton on offense. I'm fine with him getting some touches but I think MLF is getting way too cute with how he's trying to use him.

There's no reason Elijah shouldn't be getting those plays/targets IMO.

9. James Hasty

Vikings were hitting him before he ball got there.

That INT was not his fault.

Savatage likes this.
  10. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Doesn't it seem like every time a ball goes off our opponent's receiver's hands, the ball falls harmlessly to the ground, and off our hands, the ball is suspended in mid-air?

mrmajix and Tamba_Trio like this.
  11. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Sorry being objective is hating. He doesn’t do it for me. Watched the game, ball was behind on back shoulder of a slant. 9/10 that is a ball that gets tipped in the air. Zach had exacta throw last year that got picked. White lives on the behind LOS throw to less than 10 yards, cannot run, can not make plays if moved from his spot. That is what he is.

We all want a QB, I don’t think Mike White is it. Has played two bad passing defenses. Test will be next week.

12. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

It's way too soon to predict any off-season QB dilemmas/controversies:

1. We really don't what we have in Mike White. Now that DCs have more film, they'll try to take away what he likes to do. Likewise, now that LaFleur has seen what White can do under game conditions, his play-calling will better reflect what White can do. Let's also not forget that the development of the young WRs (Moore, Wilson and Mims) may have a major impact on White's performance.

2. We really don't know what goes on behind the scenes with Wilson. How does he look in practice? What kind of guy is he in the meeting room and the locker room? Are his on-the-field issues ones that can be fixed? It may very well be that Saleh and Douglas have already reached a verdict on Wilson. Hopefully, Woody won't meddle if they don't think Wilson is the guy.

3. Let's not forget that White will have options. At the very least, he has shown himself to be a competent backup, the kind of guy who can win games if the starter gets hurt. There will probably be other teams bidding for his services, so whether he returns may not be the Jets' decision. Think of all the stiffs making a living holding a clip board. White has shown that he's better than a lot of them.

4. With Garoppolo's most recent injury, the pool of experienced QBs that the Jets might go after just shrunk. A lot of people in here wanted him, but can you cast your lot with a guy who has so much trouble staying the field?

Wahoo likes this.
  13. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

berrios should not see the field aside from ST...we have GW, moore, davis, and mims who are better than berrios

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Agreed--But the holding and illegal motion were.

James Hasty likes this.
  15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

How about we give him time to develop? Seems you were fine giving ZW 2 years so far. MW is way ahead without the intensive coaching and tutoring. If you posted that we should move on from Zach after 6 games that would look weird--but you'd have been right lol.

Ralebird, Cman68 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I have no doubt JD thinks about this every day and night and has he has meetings with his staff planning for all possibilities.

heartpumpsgreen likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I wouldn't go quite that far. I still think Berrios can be used as a gadget guy on occasion but I think MLF is trying to force those touches to him too often at this point.

There's no reason all these screens, jet/orbit motions, etc. can't be called for Elijah or GW.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  18. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

White is light years ahead of Zach in accuracy, release time, decisiveness, pocket presence and football IQ. I could go on, but I'm sure there is a character limit to each post. Evaluating White's performance yesterday on one tipped INT is being disingenuous, to say the least. If the former #2 pick was a favor to Zach's uncle (as it appears), then the Jets will be royally screwed if they have to go back to Zach for this reason alone.

After imploding for the past 1.5 seasons, does anyone in their right mind even think another competent NFL team would even consider Zach as a starting QB? As for being butt hurt about flushing an overall #2 pick down the toilet, it's all water under the bridge now and makes little sense to keep harping on it. How the QB situation plays out in the offseason will go a long way toward determining whether ownership is more interested in doing personal favors for buddy, or if they are legitimately interested in building a winner. If it's the former, then Saleh and JD will have been placed in a no-win situation.

Since it appears the Jets have finally turned the corner after a decade of misery, one can only hope common sense will start permeating into the decision making process as to who is the QB going forward. Often times, teams make decisions which do not make any sense to the fan base because they are not privy to the politics involved in owning an NFL franchise. In other words, certain personnel decisions are not always tied to a player's, coach's or GM's performance. Just trying to find a nice way to convey the Jets' ownership is ass, whether it's by incompetence or by design. My guess is that it is a combination of both.

Tamba_Trio, Cman68 and Since1969 like this.
  19. James Hasty

Can't remember him making those mistakes in the past.

Big game jitters or rust maybe.

Compared to Berrios, Mims, and Moore he is an all pro.

20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

w/o seeing every thrpow... just looking at his comp % lets you know he wasnt accurate yesterday.

let the actual performances speak for themselves.

and while "catchable" the Berrios throw was somewhat behind. as was the INT. and the last INT thrown directly into the DBs hands after throwing one a couple plasy earlier that was almost picked

whcih is why you get a 30.something QBR... meaning your performance gives your team less than a 1/3 chance of winning.

more data is needed to assess.