Jets completed Mike McCarthy interview on 1/5-Saturday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Would you be happy with McCarthy signing?

1. Yes

64.0%
  2. No

16.0%
  3. Undecided

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

New scenery helps, a new QB helps. Rodgers was missing receivers all season long as well, so it's not just on McCarthy. Rodgers played pretty bad this season to his standards.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Alright... some millennial coordinator for HC it is then. The Super Bowl winning McCarthy just ain’t as “innovative” as they are.

Maybe we can get the guy from Texas Tech. He has “swagger”

Why should we care about results anyway?

Ralebird likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

But if you read everything I've been posting and pretty much every criticism of McCarthy the playcaller/designer, you can argue that he was making Rodgers job 10x harder by making him do all the work on the fly. Look at the Sean Payton part of the tweet I posted. Why is he never criticized? Why can McCarthy just sit back and add no layers or ripples because he has "good" receivers, but Payton is forever changing and adapting to his players? THAT'S coaching. Why do you think Brees just broke the completion percentage record? Certainly not because he's aged like a fine wine. Rodgers even publicly asked for Aaron Jones to get more looks, and what did McCarthy do? Give him less.

I do think we're going to end up with McCarthy because he's the safe option and lord knows that's what our front office wants. We just have to hope McCarthy can put his ego aside like Andy Reid did.

almbleamal likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

McCarthy is simply not Sean Payton. If Sean Payton were available, we wouldn't be talking about McCarthy.

But I know for a fact McCarthy can develop Darnold and this O to at least a respective level.

5. BroadwayAaron

So Bates can be brought up when talking about how bad McCarthy ISN'T, but not Sean Payton can't be when talking about how McCarthy IS? I just want to understand the rules of comparison before we keep chatting.

I do think he can develop Darnold, you can't argue with what he did for Rodgers. And if you told me we'd get a ring out of it, I wouldn't give a shit what happened for about a decade after that. But a lot has to go right for that to be the case. I'm hoping for it, that's about all I can do.

Jets_Grinch and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. The more I learn about Monken, the more I like him.

You might as well forget Bruce Arians. He's too old and has health issues. Even if that were not the case, he would never even interview with the Jets, much less accept their HC job. He is very good friends with Todd Bowles, and is not going to take the job from which his good friend was just fired. It's too bad. I wanted Arians the year he went to the Cardinals (2013). If the Jets had fired Rex when they should have, they could have hired Arians and probably never would have been stuck with Idzik at GM.

7. 101GangGreen101

Payton is one of the best offensive minds we've ever seen. McCarthy, I recognize his play-calling is not great, but it's not BAD. Bates is BAD. I think it's a little bit of an exaggeration that's all. Could it be better? Absolutely. They've had a top 10 offense for the majority of McCarthy's stint. But, we know McCarthy can develop an offense and a QB.

That's all I am saying, he has a good track record, and he fits what we need to accomplish. I respect the work you put in to research.

ColoradoContrails and Sam Hammer like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting these and other links. I think Greg Jennings' comments are particularly damning.

10. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

How many of these same type of things were said about Reid in Philly? McCarthy isn't my first choice but not last either.

11. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

McCarthy made GB a 6-9-1 team with one of the best QBs to ever play football...

How does he improve the Jets, what does he offer when you have a losing record with Aaron Rodgers?

12. BrowningNagle

So you are saying Chris Nimbley.... whoever the fuck that is... claims McCarthy is the “offensive version of Bowles”

Hahaha. These internet bloggers man. It’s like a race to see who can make biggest ass of themselves.

Ralebird and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

Why are you pretending that anyone who criticizes McCarthy is an idiot on an island that doesn’t know what they are talking about?

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Another criticism of McCarthy is "Well, he had Aaron Rodgers" in Green Bay. Good news for him with the Jets: He would have Sam Darnold!

So can he hire a strong Defensive Coordinator to help the Jets Defense improve? They really haven't had a good one since Pettine, who was ironically McCarthy's DC in Green Bay this year.

LAJet likes this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The Rex coaching tree continues to blossom.

The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

I am absolutely NOT pretending anyone who criticizes McCarthy is an idiot. That guy on the internet who said he’s the “offensive version of Todd Bowles" without anything to back up that point though, is obviously an idiot. See, he must not realize Mike McCarthy has been a successful NFL Head Coach for 13 seasons, with a super bowl ring on his hand. He has already proven to be a WAY better head coach than Todd Bowles ever was.

I know these internet bloggers make a living out of making bold, retarded claims but if they are gonna do so, then they should probably expect some criticism in return. Seems reasonable

17. BroadwayAaron

Ugh. This carousel is getting so boring. Anyone who defends McCarthy says you can't properly criticize a guy like him, someone posts multiple instances of credible criticism, person defending McCarthy says it's some idiot. I just hope we make a decision soon because this is getting tiring and we're only four days in.

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

True, but he also made it a 15-1 team, an 11-5 team, a 12-4 team, and a 10-6 team three times. I totally get it, the last 2 years were bad, but they were also not very talented outside of Rodgers and Devante Adams.

The 4-12 Jets had more pro bowlers than they did. They made some questionable decisions with talent over the past few years. The talent has declined immensely, just 2 pro bowlers the last 2 seasons. Prior to that they were having like 6-7 players make the pro bowl each year.

19. 101GangGreen101

How is McCarthy the offensive version of Bowles, when McCarthy has 9 winning seasons out of 13 and has developed plenty of players as a HEAD COACH? I am going to tweet that guy for sure.

20. BroadwayAaron

I'm pretty sure he meant unimaginative, stubborn and flawed. Obviously the results are different. Remember when Bowles had a legit #1 WR in Marshall and one of the best #2's in the league in Decker? Now put Aaron Rodgers under center instead of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Are the results much different than they were in Green Bay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.