Jets completed Mike McCarthy interview on 1/5-Saturday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Would you be happy with McCarthy signing?

1. Yes

64.0%
  2. No

16.0%
  3. Undecided

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

From what I understand McCarthy is the primary play caller so I doubt Monken comes to a place where he’ll basically be a figurehead OC.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you want to bank on Darnold being the next Rodgers, I commend you. I hope he is. But I personally don't feel comfortable bringing someone on board who sat back and let his QB do the work because he knew he could.

Again, you're banking on Sam being an all-time great and us finding a legit #1 like Adams paired with one of the most reliable receivers in the game for 10 years. And yes I think Monken will be a HC only because he's getting enough attention that someone is going to give him an offer. A lot of spots to fill, not a lot of great candidates, and he's one of them. I also have no idea what his actual personal preferences are. Now if we can bring Monken along with McCarthy that's a whole different story, but it sure doesn't sound like McCarthy is a guy that's ready to hand over playcalling. Which is a bad trait when you're a bad play-caller.

Well you can go back and read the article. There's plenty of video to back it up. He's got a couple serious headscratchers. Some of them look like he told the receivers to just run straight for a while and then change direction and hope Rodgers can find you. There's no way to know if he's just bad at it or just not fucking with a formula that "worked" until we get him here and find out I guess.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You can still get a HC job and not call plays. Monken is already a proven play-caller. I just like Monken as a hire, think he would help McCarthy ... probably wont happen

4. 101GangGreen101

McCarthy is not a bad play-caller. Jeremy Bates is a bad play-caller. Adams was developed by the McCarthy coaching staff, Adams believe it or not was not good early in his career. Drops plagued him.

Monken has gotten attention from 2 whole teams, one of those teams being the Jets. The other team is the Bengals, so if he gets no other interviews, how is he going to be a HC? I am just saying it's quite possible he's not a HC. Monken is a preference of mine, play-calling is important but implementing game-plans / adjustments is where Monken can really increase is value.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

McCarthy BUILT Rodgers so he could "sit back and let him do the work because he knew he could." That's called coaching

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

After reading the comments from several posters, especially those who live in Wisconsin, reading the Fahey article yesterday, and a couple of others including the following one, I am rapidly losing interest in McCarthy. His lack of flexibility, seeing the necessity of updating his offense and/or willingness to change is not what we need. In order for him to get the job, I think he needs to admit in his interview that he made a mistake in GB, needs to update his offense, and then demonstrate how it will be better/different.

http://turnonthejets.com/2019/01/new-york-jets-coaching-search-why-mike-mccarthy-is-not-a-prize/

hwismer and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/mike-mccarthys-play-calling-holds-aaron-rodgers-packers-back
    https://www.nbcsports.com/video/green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers-criticizes-mike-mccarthys-game-plan
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/03/aaron-rodgers-regularly-changed-mike-mccarthy-play-calls-packers
    https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...cizes-Mike-McCarthys-play-calling--124469570/
    https://sports.yahoo.com/marcedes-l...mike-mccarthy-green-bay-season-031440680.html

I mean you can find articles upon articles where analysts and players rip apart his playcalling. That last one is Marcedes Lewis talking about how much better it worked out when Rodgers changed McCarthy's plays. That's not exactly what you want in a head coach.

As far as Monken goes, I thought the Dolphins also put in a request but I guess they didn't. I'd do anything to get him here as the OC if he isn't the head coach.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

McCarthy is traditionally one of the best coaches in the league with replay challenges. It's a small part of the job, sure, but on a game-to-game basis, losing timeouts or neglecting to challenge a potential reversal can be quite impactful.

Rex would get pissed like every time there was a big play and toss the red flag. Bowles would be sleeping and miss it. It would be nice to have a coach as an asset in that regard for once.

9. BroadwayAaron

Let's not pretend like Rodgers was a lost cause. He was a first round pick for a reason. Yea he struggled in preseason, so did Patrick Mahomes. I guess he coached up Rodgers SO much that Rodgers had the ability to change McCarthy's play calls and end up running a better play!

10. NCJetsfan

They did that with Aaron Rodgers and a great or very good WR corps. The Jets don't have that. Besides, they don't play the season to finish in the top 10 in statistics. The only statistic that really counts is the W-L record, and the Packers' W-L record under McCarthy the last 5 years or so are not that good.

11. NCJetsfan

True, but will McCarthy be willing to change, or is he one of those guys who is set in his ways and doesn't think he needs to change? Even if he hired someone like Monken, would he listen to him and let him change the offense, or would he be OC basically in name only, still running the same offense McCarthy used in GB and McCarthy still calling the plays? That the $64k question. I'd love it if McCarthy can and will change and got the job. It just scares me that he won't change, and imo that will undo whatever good he accomplishes in developing Sam.

12. 101GangGreen101

So is McCarthy as bad as Jeremy Bates? Because you are calling McCarthy a bad play-caller (in which those articles don't really say he's a bad play-caller, maybe can do a better job) and Bates is 10x worse.

But hey, getting shutout at home by the Lions with the interim HC that replaced McCarthy was a much better situation. Sometimes you don't know what you got until it's gone. Players aren't always right. Rodgers might find out soon.

13. NCJetsfan

Yep, and we don't have a single WR who is as good as Davante Adams who can win his match-ups most of the time and get open. So, if he tries to run that same offense here, it will fail miserably. He will have to adapt to whatever players we have and be able to scheme WRs open.

14. BroadwayAaron

Why is Bates even a topic of conversation right now? He's completely irrelevant here. AIDS is bad, does that mean the flu also can't be bad because it isn't AIDS?

I already posted two articles talking about how bad a playcaller/designer he is but I you didn't like those. I mean at some point you have to think that there's some fire behind the smoke. But this conversation isn't going to go anywhere nor do I really care because if he's hired, I'm just going to hope he can adapt because what he's been the last few years isn't gonna work out too well for us here.

15. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Sorry, I forgot to even reply back to the last part of your reply.

I do like Monken a great deal, in fact he would be my #2 choice behind Bruce Arians. After that it's a smattering of candidates with loads of "?'s" that for me sort of fall into relatively the same grouping. Matt Rhule, Kliff Kingsbury, Matt LaFleur, David Shaw, Eric Bieniemy, theres a few more I can't think of at the moment.

16. BroadwayAaron

And right on cue, this drops:

http://www.jetsinsider.com/the-safe-choice-does-not-equal-the-right-choice/

17. 101GangGreen101

Here's the thing though, Morton just lined Robby up and let him beat defenders, I don't think Morton did anything special. He just took advantage of what the personnel had to offer. Sometimes, the best offense is finding out what your players do best and let them win. Of course don't have all of your receivers run 5 yard curl routes, put a little more seasoning in that offense. Do I think McCarthy needs to look at his play-book and make some changes? Sure, but I think that's what comes with being fired and being attacked for being stubborn. I think with the right set of receivers, that Packers offense was pretty damn good.

I don't see McCarthy as a guy that would just stand there and not at least look to make some changes to how he's coaching SHOULD he get hired.

Brook! likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

But see here's why I find that hard to believe... and it's a repost from this morning:

He's been expected to change, he's SAID there would be change, and literally nothing has changed. Why are we supposed to believe he'll randomly change? Just because Reid did it?

19. 101GangGreen101

Because you want to call coaches bad playcallers, I gave you a bad coordinator that can't call plays, is McCarthy as bad as Bates? Are you saying having the FLU (which can be treated, in a much easier fashion) can be just as bad as getting AIDS?

I think McCarthy's offense is a little outdated, but it has always worked ... does he need to add a few wrinkles? Change up a few things? Sure. I never said McCarthy is perfect, but he can develop players on O, and he's disciplined on D. Get him a young coordinator he can work with, share ideas. I think at the very least, McCarthy would sign up for that. Hell, that's an interview question. If he says no, then you know he's not the right guy.

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

What I'm most surprised about is how our sloppy, zombie, dead in the water STs turned out to be. What a major pleasant surprise that was. Boyer is probably one of the only guys I would be for retaining whoever the Jets wind up hiring. Imagine that.

I'm not sure how to feel about McCarthy to be honest, but hell no on Gase, Shanahan, and Caldwell.

Bowles Movement likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.