Jets Coaching Staff Must Develop and Teach Young Squad

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 20, 2022.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sad state of affairs...

ouchy likes this.
  2. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

You’re setting yourself up for disappointment if you think no one’s on the hot seat after 4 wins.

ouchy likes this.
  3. PJ4Ever

Im frankly sick of the excuses. Year 1 of the rebuild???? They traded up for a RB, they better hope they can at least be competitive. And I like the Hall move but only because I think they can be competitive and win 7-8 games this year. I love what JD is doing but it has to start translating to wins.

4. PJ4Ever

I agree that Wilson being good means more than wins, so if he balls out and they win 4-5 it’s a different story, but that’s highly unlikely.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that was a while back. he's changed his tone the past few years and accepted his place in the NFL.
    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/...-mentor-sam-darnold-drew-lock-denver-broncos/

yup true. so every group has a vet

ouchy likes this.
  6. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the right standard. Culturally, having 3 vets providing leadership to one rookie is not the same thing as having one vet provide leadership to three rookies.

This is a young team regardless of whether we have at least one lone vet in every room, and the coaches will need to make up for that.

7. GasedAndConfused

it's a young team but that isn't an issue people are making it to be. having a young hungry team is better then having complacent overpaid vets around

8. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I've never before heard anyone argue that having a team loaded with first and second year players is an advantage over a team loaded with vets. I would not agree with that opinion, but obviously you are entitled to your own view.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

10. GasedAndConfused

not saying it's an advantage. i'm saying it's not a negative because we have vets in each room with them and the team can grow together and gel. sometimes a bad vet doesn't fit in well and makes things worse. randy moss in oakland, chad johnson in NE, TO in a few places.

11. GasedAndConfused

did you read the whole comment? it's conveniently cut off after he explains it. the rest of the comment is

"The coaches have a ton of time to do what they're doing and make sure they know how to get across to everybody. Sometimes veterans come in and shake things up the wrong way, argue with the coach, and the rookie starts listening to him and not the coach. It's not always a great dynamic. There are benefits like getting into the meeting room, he may be struggling with footwork or reads. You want to simplify things for a young quarterback. Sometimes coaches have a tough time getting things across to the quarterback because guys just want to get to the line, and as detailed as it might be, you still have to keep the simplest terms in mind so you can play as fast as possible. I will embrace that role."

it was also an interview after he was traded to us last year. he said he expects to play, it was more of he's gonna start while wilson is out. he expected to play (and he did get to play a game). he also said he chose philly in the off season because he felt he had a shot to start over hurts and didn't feel the jets were gonna bench darnold for him. he came back this year fully knowing that wilson is the guy

EDIT: here is the fuller version of the quote

Flacco on being a mentor now
    [​IMG]

Flacco has a strong relationship with White from their time together last year. And he said he will do everything he can to help the young quarterbacks on the Jets' roster. But he also gave a lengthy and thoughtful rebuttal to the notion that having an experienced quarterback on the roster is good for the development of a young quarterback.

"When it comes down to it, I'm a team guy," Flacco said. "I have great relationships with guys. So whatever my role is at this point, when I'm in that role, I'm going to do it. But like, yeah, I don't necessarily think, 'Hey we're going to bring in a veteran quarterback to be this great mentor.' You know? ... And that's probably including myself."

Flacco explained that there's a complicated balance for a veteran quarterback when working with a young quarterback. Obviously, there's the competition aspect of it: Flacco wants to use whatever opportunity he has to prove to other teams that he's still capable of being a successful quarterback in this league.

That, understandably, is his focus right now. But even when Wilson returns and his role shifts to supporting him, it is not as simple as it seems.

"Sometimes veterans just come in there and they shake things up in a bad way," Flacco said. "Because they've done things one way and they're arguing against the coach and then the rookie quarterback, he hears that and says, well you think this way, and then they start listening to you and the next thing you know they're not listening to the coach. So it's not always like the great dynamic. So that's where for me, I think I've seen that. And when I am in that role, I can see it. You have to know when to shut up and when to interject and say, 'Listen, here's how you [do it].'"

Flacco, who was the backup to Jalen Hurts with the Eagles before the trade, said he witnessed "the benefits" of a veteran being there to help a young quarterback in Philadelphia this year.

"You get in the meeting room and ... you can kind of feel what a quarterback is thinking and why he's maybe struggling with footwork or a read. And then coaches try to go in there and they put in some words," Flacco said. "And you've got to take that as the veteran quarterback in the backup position and like use the coach's terminology, but at the same time simplify it as much as you can for the young quarterback. You want to get up to the line, and as detailed as the play might be, and as detailed as what you are going to do during the play may be, you still have to get it down to the simplest terms in your mind so you can do it as fast as possible."

Flacco understands what it takes to be a good mentor. But he shot down the notion that it's easy and always beneficial. And he made it clear that his top priority for the Jets right now is not mentoring, but to make an impact on the field when that chance comes.

"I'm going a roundabout way of answering this: Like, I will embrace that [mentor] role," Flacco said. "But at the same time I think I'm here, in the short-term, help out as much as I can on the field."

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hey... I don't blame Flacko for wanting to play.

My point was that he isn't exactly the best mentor a young qb could have.

13. GasedAndConfused

depends how you look at it. anyone can say "the right thing" and not really mean it or not really do much. flacco is pretty upfront and honest and he said he's embraced it and knows where he can help and where it wouldn't help and he'd just get in the way. clearly JD and saleh wanted him back so he's doing something right and it wasn't to play

Acad23 likes this.